Plextor708A can't read/write CDs, but DVDs OK

My Plextor 708A started to not recognize CDs (even audio CDs) and not being able to burn CD-Rs.

Everything is OK with the DVD burning/reading capability!

Has anybody experienced this situation

I’ve tried PlexTools but it can’t detect the CD-R so I’m unable to preform a writing test or a reading test. It looks like the drive can’t detect the CD type, etc… and, consequently, doesn’t detect the CD.

I’ve cleaned/reinstalled Nero and used it to burn a DVD+R in ISO mode and all was correct but the same app can’t do a burn in a CD-R! :confused:

I had reflashed v1.03 when it came out. Yesterday, after discovering my problem, I reflashed with v1.04 but the problem persists! :frowning:

I also have done an uninstall in Control Panel and rebooted so the system autodetect the drive. And the drive is in UDMA mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

you’d better return that drive, i had the same problem… it seems there might have been a bad batch made that can’t read cd-r/w’s.

Forgot to mention that I’ve had the drive for 2 months and that i had already burned several CD-Rs without problems!

Those were the days… :frowning:

I’ve been reading this forum and i saw someone referring to “drive being locked in DVD-mode”?!?!? Does that exist?

Is it only resetable by the manufacturer??

:confused: :confused:

i upgraded from firmware 1.02 -> 1.04 and my burner wont read/write cd-r anymore so i downgraded to 1.02 again but didnt work anyway

The support said it was a common problem for 1.04 so they are working on 1.05 so they don´t need to take back alot of 708´s :confused:

Was going to buy one of these but Plextor quality control and this drive seems to be absolute crap - what has happened to this company? Sub-contract to some 3rd rate piss-hole of a company?

Plextor was known for quality - they seem to have forgotten what that means.

Mangler, my problem appeared while I was using 1.03.

Contacted PLEXTOR by email describing the problem and already got the RMA. I’m gonna ship the drive today.

Let’s wait and see.

yep mine goes RMA today to, waiting for DHL now to send it

I sent it on Wednesday (DHL). Received a new one on Friday!!! :bigsmile:

I would buy Plextor anytime!!! :cool:

No matter what problems the drives might have, Plextor is just one of those companies that know the words “CUSTOMER SUPPORT”! :bow: :bow:

This is news to me. Thank you for the information!

Originally posted by Mangler
The support said it was a common problem for 1.04 so they are working on 1.05 so they don´t need to take back alot of 708´s :confused:

Just for the record:

My bad drive was TLA#0002 (sep 03).

My new drive is TLA#0103 (nov 03).

The same thing is true for me, both the TLA and the dates.

I have burned 6 DVDs and 2 CDs and not had any problems with the new one so far.

Originally posted by chicola
[B]Just for the record:

My bad drive was TLA#0002 (sep 03).

My new drive is TLA#0103 (nov 03). [/B]

I experienced this same problem. I have the driver hooked up to a Promise Ultra100 TX2 controller. I then updated the controller drivers and the drive stopped reading all types of CDs but still worked fine with DVDs. I reverted back to the original microsoft drivers for the card and everything is back to normal.

Pretty much word for word what happened to me - had the drive for about a month before it stopped reading CD media of any kind… confusing indeed.

Originally posted by chicola
[B]Forgot to mention that I’ve had the drive for 2 months and that i had already burned several CD-Rs without problems!

Those were the days… :frowning:

I’ve been reading this forum and i saw someone referring to “drive being locked in DVD-mode”?!?!? Does that exist?

Is it only resetable by the manufacturer??

:confused: :confused: [/B]

dethmetaljeff,

I think you should have tried PlexTools to check that out.

AFAIK, PlexTools makes a direct access to the drive (bypassing drivers) and should give you an idea if it’s a driver problem or a HW problem…

Im my case, I tried and the Tools didn’t even see the drive!

But, glad your drive is OK.

It has returned to happen with the second Plextor 708A, and again when trying to record an image iso, again the CDs does not recognize nor records.
Again I will write to Plextor Europe so that me they change it, but no longer I trust that it does not return to me to happen with
that they send to me now.
Bad thing :frowning:

i do have the same problem
when i updated the firmware from 1.02 to 1.04
i could only burn dvd’s too read dvd’s or read/ write cd’s of cd-rw was’nt possible
i went back to 1.02 but the problem continued.
when i flashed to 1.03 i could read dvd’s en burn them
but stil nothing on the cd and cdrw front

My question therefore is wil a future firmware for example 1.05
solve this problems or is it hardware related

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
[B]i do have the same problem
when i updated the firmware from 1.02 to 1.04
i could only burn dvd’s too read dvd’s or read/ write cd’s of cd-rw was’nt possible
i went back to 1.02 but the problem continued.
when i flashed to 1.03 i could read dvd’s en burn them
but stil nothing on the cd and cdrw front

My question therefore is wil a future firmware for example 1.05
solve this problems or is it hardware related [/B]

Someone said that plextor said in an e-mail that this is a known issue at it will be fixed in 1.05. But I have no idea as to whether or not it is true.

I am certain that there will be a 1.05 firmware release for this drive sooner or later. Plextor always relases firmware improvements for their drives at a good rate. But as to whether or not 1.05 will fix this problem … I cannot say.

This happened to me after using the drive for about 6 months. Updated the firmware to 1.07 and didn’t fix it. DVD reading and writing is fine. IThe drive will not recognize any CD-- commercial, earlier CD’s burned with the 708-A, or CD’s created by any other burner. I don’t buy the IDE driver fix-- the drive worked fine with what was on my machine and I never changed the drivers. This is either a hardware or firmware defect. This was my first and last Plextor purchase.

If your Plextor drive brakes down within six months you can have it replaced. Or has your warranty expired? Hardware problems can happen with any manufacturer, luckily Plextor has a good reputation when it comes to exchanging non-working drives. Good luck though and welcome to the forum jswisher.