Plextor708 - Can it detect C2 errors?

Been reading the review of the 708 and wondering if the 708 was used as the read drive during the tests on C1 and C2 errors?

Read a review on another site and it says that the 708 can’t detect C2 errors see here

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Plextor+PX-708A&index=9

If the 708 can’t be used to read C2 how else other than buying another drive do you check that CD/DVDs have been written successfully?

TIA

Res

As far as i know Plextor drives can read C2 errors, you can use Infotool to check it out.

Originally posted by Hemispasm
As far as i know Plextor drives can read C2 errors, you can use Infotool to check it out.

Are any 708 owners able to confirm it can read C1 and C2 errors?

TIA

As i said, it can:

you can read the review here :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification. I have already read the CDFreaks review (very informative and useful) I just wanted to be sure due to the other site saying they had problems in this area.

Yes it can report C2 errors.

No it can’t report C1 errors, and No it do not work with Q-check in plextools if you were wondering about that.

I just wanted to be sure due to the other site saying they had problems in this area.

Source: However, the Q-Check functions are not active with the Plextor PX-708A used as a test disc reader, possibly because the drive does not retrieve C2 error information.

As far as i know the Q-Check function is only available for the Premium drive, the C2 reporting of the 708 drive is not related.

Originally posted by res1234
Are any 708 owners able to confirm it can read C1 and C2 errors?

A number of information tools all report the 708 supports C2 reporting. My only problem is Exact Audio Copy seems not to realise this. <sigh>

Rick.

Really confused now:

I currently have a LiteOn drive and after each burn I use Nero CD Speeds Scandisk function to check all Green - i.e. no yellows (sometime occurs but can recover from these) and no reds which are very bad.

If I got a 708 how do I check that the burns have been successfull?

I use “cheap” brand CDRs so I am guessing I will have problems going off the review and other postings?

TIA

Originally posted by res1234
If I got a 708 how do I check that the burns have been successfull?

The same way you used to do it with your other drive …
I currently have a LiteOn drive and after each burn I use Nero CD Speeds Scandisk function to check all Green

If the Plextor does not support C1 and possibly C2 (as this is dependant on software support) doesn’t Scandisk rely on these to work?

This must be a reasonable assumption if it does not work with Q-check which I assume does a similar thing?

TIA