Plextor vs BenQ: Audio CD Shootout

I finished a small sampling of audio CD burns comparing my new (3rd) Plextor 716A (TLA0308, May 2005, China) with a new BenQ DW1640 (FW BSHB) I purchased “just in case” the Plextor takes a dive. I wanted to compare how the two drives performed head-to-head in their write performance (ie errors!) and which drive would do the best (for that media). I was less interested in the times of the burns, though I will keep track of that for the DVD testing.

Initial media used was Best Buy on sale Verbatim 52X CD-R’s, Made in Taiwan, MCC by MID code, but they failed on the second burn and two other discs, non-sequential on the spindle, were also horrible quality. I returned them and in their place I purchased Fuji branded Taiyo Yuden, Made In Japan, 48X CD-R. Moer money but both drives seemed to like these discs a lot. Duh!

I used Nero Disc Quality scans on the BenQ to look at C1/C2 errors because it was faster and seemed to correspond to what the PxScans on the Plextor showed on a variety of burns/scans done prior to this particular test. It ain’t perfect science but it’s fast science kids!

First up are the discs burned in the Plextor 716a:

1. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 48X 716A Nero Transfer Rate
  2. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 48X 716A Nero Disc Quality
  3. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 32X 716A Nero Disc Quality
  4. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 16X 716A Nero Disc Quality
  5. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Audio CD Burned 16X Plextor PxScan (For comparison)

*** To See #'s 4 &5 Go To http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146411 ***

Now the BenQ DW1640 Audio-CD Burn Results:

1. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 16X BenQ Nero Transfer Rate
  2. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 48X BenQ Nero Disc Quality
  3. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 40X BenQ Nero Disc Quality
    ***See At http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146411 ***
  4. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 32X BenQ Nero Disc Quality
  5. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 24X BenQ Nero Disc Quality
  6. Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 16X BenQ Nero Disc Quality

I’ve got to stop posting pics elsewhere!