Plextor upgrade (from PX-W4824 to PX-W5232 aka Premium)

vbimport

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=14909

Hello guys,

Yesterday I had the opportunity to open up the 4824 and 5232 Plextors to compare them. The hardware inside is totally same! except for some minor not so important details like hole in the back for cooling on the 5232, different tray (without two holes on the 5232). Today I have downloaded firmware for 4824 and 5232 and compared it. In the binary firmware of 5232 1.02 I have found the following: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A (and in the firmware of 4824 1.04 this: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012AHP ) what means that they are all the same drive just different firmware! I dont have the 4824 as I have replaced it for 5232 to try but you just have to ask some hacker to disable the drive check routine in the PXUpdate program so it will let any firmware to flash and I am pretty sure you will end up with an Premium 5232 drive which has some sweet features such as GigaRec and SecuRec technology.
There may be one difference in the hardware and that is the 8Mb buffer that the Premium has versus the I think 4MB that the older drives do but this may not be necessarily a problem.

So hack that PXUpdate and off you go…

Anyone can hack PXUpdate ?

Interesting thread but I doubt it will work… but I’m not a hacker and have no idea how to adjust the checks that the firmware upgrade program uses. I guess we’ll have to wait until someone tries to see if it works. But as I said, I seriously doubt it.

Welcome to our forum afw4ever, by the way :wink:

Originally posted by afw4ever

Anyone can hack PXUpdate ?

In the binary firmware of 5232 1.02 I have found the following:
PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A (and in the firmware of 4824 1.04 this: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012AHP )
Let Dave ask the guy ( ptodic ) to spot the asci strings where those values could be found.
I haven’t succeeded in finding anything like that in the 1.02 bin file.

Try to search with keyword: 4824. Here is the capture:

Yepppp, Hack it please :wink:

Yes, I got it now >

Well, I’m not a hacker either but we’ll see if anything can be done on that. :wink:

All you need is spying on the ASPI traffic while flashing…maybe you can even use the plextor 48x flasher and replace the firmware with a plextor premium firmware on aspi-traffic-level…

:rolleyes: thx but i dont know about ASPI … But the flasher check the firmware before flashing. If we can debug (deassemble) it, maybe…

Also, one could (again by spying the ASPI traffic) pretend a Plextor Premium instead of a Plextor 4824.
However, this requires that the flasher only checks the drive’s ID string, and nothing else.

I’m sure one of you out there can do it…

i believe there is a small program that can find differences between 2 hex files

they used it find the differences between the radeon firmwares, which made us able to mod them to 9700 pro etc.

will try to find it, and try it on 2 firmwares of the plex.

i believe it is even possible to have the software adjust the differences between the hex files.

(lots of blieven in this story…because it was last year when i read it)

Originally posted by damiandimitri

i believe there is a small program that can find differences between 2 hex files

will try to find it, and try it on 2 firmwares of the plex.

Don’t try it so hard, 'coz we have this prog at hand ( see the pix ) :

1. SPLO_101.bin: 524_288 bytes
  2. SPLO_102.bin: 524_288 bytes

Search for differences

Offsets: hexadec.

25_361 difference(s) found.

Search for equal bytes

498_927 equal byte(s) found.

Yez, you can always open both firmware-bin’s in a hexeditor and hit “compare” ;). But I doubt it’ll just come up with one “jne -> invalid drive” string :o

edit: boskin posted his reply while I was writing mine :slight_smile: so it’s about euhm 25,000 changes that we are looking at :slight_smile: Which one would it be? :slight_smile:

(yes…it was the same proggie you guys used…)

25000 differences is a bit much

i don’t think a lott of people will volenteer to try to flash that

you gonna try to change the id string only and flash it?

Originally posted by damiandimitri

(yes…it was the same proggie you guys used…)

you gonna try to change the id string only and flash it?
What is its name then ?

What does this give you ? :confused:

what they did with the radeon firmware was changing the part with the id (the part you posted in the pics). They copied the id from one bin file to the other.

But i don’t know if vga biosses work the same as cdrw biosses

The thread where all the info was (for the radeon bios mod) seems to be closed. …it contained some info about id’s in firmware etc and what to change

i will try to fing it on an other forum

is this use full:
http://www.geocities.com/wedesdo/pages/making.htm

Hi, I have been changed the id string in the Premium firmware same as PX-W4824 but the flasher don’t accept. Maybe the firmware have a checksum or something. OK, i’ll learn assambler :slight_smile:

the id needs to have the ssame length as the original…for some reason

did you adjust that?

Yes It’s same length but i found, the flasher verify the checksum of the firmware before flashing. I make a change just 1 byte in the firmware of 4824 (change 16:00 to 17:00) and the flasher refuse to flash. :frowning:

Just a thought:
How about modifying the drive’s internal ID string, such that the drive will return the premium’s ID everytime it is queried?

Then the firmware flasher for the premium should be able to flash without further modifications.

Originally posted by chong

Just a thought:
How about modifying the drive’s internal ID string,
such that the drive will return the premium’s ID everytime it is queried?

You know, it’s funny but I’ve been thinking all the day of why nobody has answered this thread lately.
And even the Plextor development team that used to attending this forum has neither acknoledged nor denied
the potential possibilty of the drive o/clocking. No wonder why. :wink:

Originally posted by chong
[B]Just a thought:
How about modifying the drive’s internal ID string, such that the drive will return the premium’s ID everytime it is queried?

Then the firmware flasher for the premium should be able to flash without further modifications. [/B]

How to modifying the drive’s internal ID string ? :confused: