Plextor TYT02 +Rs @ LDW811S: Horrible!

vbimport

We all know the LDW811S is not what is should be, but check out these results on this very expensive media.

What’s going on here?

I’ve always used Plextor 4x DVD+R T01s with acceptable results on the LDW811S most of the times (100 < P1 < 280 / 0 =< P1F < 6), but recently I’ve bought a couple of packs of the new Plextor 8x multispeed T02s giving me an average P1 of 1000 and P1F of 60!

What a waste of such expensive media!

All discs were burned on 4x with the LiteOn HS0P FW, and recently I switched between the HS0Q and patched HS0K, but that really didn’t make much of a difference.

I used the T01 and T02 on the same day and the results went from acceptable to insanely bad with the latter. Now, when I burn the RICOH DVD+RW that came with the drive (which was in dec 2003) at 4x, I get good results, so it’s not like something happened with drive.

Now these T02s are optimized for 8x so maybe I get better results on 8x than at 4x. On the other hand, the LDW811S is such a crappy drive it might as well get worse. Anyway, I’ll try it later.

Any ideas on what I might try? Would changing the T02 strat to T01/01 do any good?

Between you and me, I think I should just throw the drive away and get a nice, reliable Plextor.

Scan shots
All burned at 4x with Nero 6.3.0.3 on the LDW811S.

1. Plextor-labeled Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 4x Multispeed T01, with LiteOn FW HS0P.
  2. Plextor-labeled Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8x Multispeed T02, with LiteOn FW HS0P.
  3. Plextor-labeled Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8x Multispeed T02, with OmniPatcher FW HS0K with recommened DVD media tweaks applied, stopped test manually at 16.1% (I didn’t want to scan anymore).
  4. Plextor-labeled Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8x Multispeed T02, with LiteOn FW HS0Q. Scan couldn’t read at 4x, even though it’s the same disc as in (3). Interesting though, that at 2.4x the P1F is much, much lower.

Welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

I wish I knew where to start…I keep getting told that the HS0K firmware is the best for the 811S but most of those people are using RICOHJPNR01 and looking at your burn 3 :eek:. Even your burn 1, although significantly better than the others, is marginal. :sad:

Lets see what we can do:
What are your system specs.
Upgrade to the latest Nero.
Upgrade your MOBO chipset drivers.
How long does an 8x +R burn take.
Can you show me what a +RW burn looks like.
Get hold of Nero CD-DVD Speed here. And use this to create a +RW burn. We’ll look at a +R burn after seeing this first.
Can you get hold of any RICOHJPNR01 media, even just one or two.

Edit: One more thing. Use the diskette button on the toolbar to save your scan. At the save dialog select PNG file type and attach the saved .png file to your post.

Hi C0deKing!

Thanks for your reply.

I’ll post some results as soon as I’ve worked that list.

Just a quick question for now… do you think these discs, most of which looking like scan (1), will have a much decreased lifespan? I’ve about 100 of them, about 300 euro worth of media… let alone the data itself!

I probably should have gone for a Pioneer or Plextor, but I trusted the reviews half a year ago… should have used KProbe earlier.

Re-scan them after a week or more. See if the errors have gotten worse or better. If it’s better, or the same, then they should last a long time. It is good media. If worse, well you can quess…

Intel P4 1.8 GHz
Micro-star Ms-6399 Mobo
Intel 845 Brookdale Chipset

512 MB SDRAM (Samsung/Kingston)
Seagate 80 GB 5400 rpm + WD 120 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Caviar

Used Intel Bus Master 82801BA IDE controller drivers, changed today to Intel 82810 Ultra ATA controller drivers. Also updated Intel 82845 chipset drivers.

Scan
4x RICOHJPN W11 DVD+RW (came with drive)

ah… eek :eek:… the drive made a strange buzzing noise, like an electric bell!
Hm, some scratches on the outer edge, fairly sharp, about 1.2 cm long. Looks like it’s caused by the tray, because the scratches are positioned in a circular fashion, almost mirroring the shape of the where the disc rests in the tray. Disc surface looks clean though.

Edit: forgot to measure the time. But if you look at the CD-DVD Speed test, you can see it’s not running at 4x at all. Or is it? Hm, will test again + time.

System looks good. The updates should help things.

Scan
4x RICOHJPN W11 DVD+RW (came with drive)

ah… eek :eek:… the drive made a strange buzzing noise, like an electric bell!
Hm, some scratches on the outer edge, fairly sharp, about 1.2 cm long. Looks like it’s caused by the tray, because the scratches are positioned in a circular fashion, almost mirroring the shape of the where the disc rests in the tray. Disc surface looks clean though.

Edit: forgot to measure the time. But if you look at the CD-DVD Speed test, you can see it’s not running at 4x at all. Or is it? Hm, will test again + time.

Sounds like the disc did not load properly. Must have jammed on the spindle. Sometime if the disc has very sharp edges on the center hole this can happen.

Scan looks very good. I thing the peak at the end is the result of the scratches.

Burn time is correct at 4x.

Might be worth trying another 4x T02 burn using HS0K.

I’ll let you know the results. Thanks!

Here’s my attempt at 8x burning with T02 and stock HS0Q. Looks like another case of LiteOn not have a working strat for 8x media. My guess is that a strat swap will fix this, as it appears to be using a generic strat.

I tried strat swaps with T01/00, T01/01 and Ricoh JPNR02 and all were much the same as what’s posted above. :sad:

Thanks RD. Looks like the 811S and this media just don’t get along. :confused:

Just a thought. How well does the 811S scan a T02 that was a successful burn in one of your other drives.

The 811 doesn’t much like to read the T02 it seems. Here’s a T02 burned in the 1213 drive, reading in the 811:

Here’s the same disk as above, burned in the 1213 and reading in the 1213.
That’s a striking difference I’d say.

The plot thickens. Here’s the disc burned in the 811, reading in the 1213:

double-checking for “readabiliy”, both these discs read just fine at 12x in the 1213 drive, here’s the 811-burned disc:

My 812S give similar results with 8X burns on the TY02 media that rdgrimes gets on his 811. I won’t even bother with uploading the scans, you know what they look like. On the other hand, I scanned the same media burnt on a Plextor and they look nice.

Yes, definitely a read problem. When a disc is inserted in a LiteOn writer it makes a lot of adjustment after reading the inside and outside of the disc. Obviously with T02 it gets it very wrong. :confused:

Sorry Sylphyr, doesn’t look like much we can do for you here. Maybe rdgrimes could recommend some media that does work well in the 811S.

It seems that the T02 burns kinda ‘alright’ (at least its PI is below 500 at the beginning and futher along the disc, it goes below 50!), but has serious problems reading the same media. At least I can assume that the discs are not as badly burned as the LDW811S scans show.

Still, perhaps it’s better to find some more suitable media. Any recommendations? My priorities are disk lifespan/data integrity, speed is not an issue.

Tried scanning in a Toshiba SD-R2512, but that drive doesn’t support such reading scans, unfortunately. It plays the disc alright though, so I don’t have to throw the T02 away :slight_smile:

Cool scans btw, it really shows how the LDW811S behaves. Much appreciated!