Plextor to upgrade PX-716A to 6x DVD±R DL!

vbimport

I saw that some already found this information but I think a new thread is the best place to discuss this good news. This is what I just received in my mailbox from Duvander Stefan:

Plextor introduces fastest Double Layer drive with writing
speeds up to 6x DVD+R DL and 6x DVD-R DL

Free of charge, Plextor offers for its award winning Dual Layer drive,the PX-716 series, a firmware upgrade to support higher writing speeds.

By this upgrade Plextor offers its customers protection on their investment for the future. They are the first to introduce to the market 6x DVD+R DL and 6x DVD-R DL writing. Besides an increase of the Double/Dual layer speeds, 8x writing on DVD+RW media is supported, and additional support for 16x writing on DVD +/-R is added.

Middle of January,firmware 1.04 will be released to support:

[ul][li]2x(CLV)writing on DVD-R DL media
[/li]> [li]6x(CLV)writing on DVD+R DL media
[/li]> [li]8x writing on DVD+RW media
[/li]> [li]Support additional 16x media[/ul]Beginning of March,firmware 1.05 will be released to support:
[/li]>

• [li]6x(CLV)writing on DVD-R DL media

I think this will only work on TLA #020x and higher and not on TLA #000x and TLA #010x … but only the future can tell.

Does this has anything to do with the recent Pionner presentation of A09? :smiley:
First time i see plextor giving a “free” upgrade. Impressive indeed.

i have an 0101 and an 0202 so i really hope it works on both.

PC GUY Writes:
Today you pay twice as much [For Plextor] and find drives thats cost 1/2 as much they get updates by firmware but for some reason plexcrap can’t??? I wonder is its can’t or won’t and did they make it that way purposely!!! So much for customer service!!! So yes my tud is trash them any chance I get and cost them as many sales as I can!!!

To all you Plextor hata’s out there, all’s I have to say is . . .

Don’t playa hate, congratulate! :iagree:

I now have the first 6x DL burner with DL-R capability because guess what? Plextor apparently cares :smiley:

Peace,

ImBAD

You have two 716a? Whoa!

yeah, i wasn’t in a good mood one day so i decided to cheer myself up a bit :wink:

Well they had do this - to “save” the PX-716A, else it would drown because better and faster drives are out at half the price…

Now - if they would also add 6x DVD-RW speed…

Does anyone here use DVD-RW or DVD+RW? I guess they’d be good for backing up data, but I figure a standard DVD+R is cheap enough now to blow $.50. I’ve never had a reason to use one.

Noua is surprised that Plextor is offering a “free” upgrade. All their firmware upgrades have been free and are posted on the US and Europe web site.

Personally speaking, me neither. I also didn’t have much use for CD-RW discs until about two weeks ago when I got an MP3 player for my car. Now I love these discs. Perhaps someday, when something new is introduced I have use for older disc types, who knows? :wink:

Duhhh i’m not talking about free firmwares. :confused: I’m talking about improvment on drive specs via firmware upgrade. I haven’t seen those from plextor until now. Because, DVD±R 6x DL was never anouced i think this is a free upgrade. That’s what i’m talking about. :iagree:

Just noticed this.

Current optical drives in my computer: Lite-On SOHW-1653S, Plextor PX-716A, BenQ DW1620A/PRO, AOPEN DUW1608/ARR, Pioneer DVR-A08XLA, Lite-On LTR-52246S (for doing C1/C2 error tests), Samsung TS-H552B@TS-H552U, NEC ND-3520A, NEC ND-3500AG, BenQ DW822A (Damn good at overspeeding old 4x media to 8x), Pioneer DVR-107D.

Hm… B@U. What about a comparson of 716A 1.04 vs. 552U US03 at 16x?

Well, the BenQ is still a faster writer with better accuracy (and I’m a proud owner of a 1620A as well), but I think the Plextor’s added features are starting to shine. I’ve been saying this all along, and the news today seems to support it, that Firmware 1.04 is going to make a big difference for this drive.

So far, they are promising 6x dual-layer support for both “-R” and
+R" (Quite an accomplishment via firmware) and more compatibility with 16x media. From what I can tell, this is all the Plextor needs. It features exceptional quality at lower speeds, and it is still a relatively fast burner.

If they fix it’s CAV writing strategy for 16x media, what’s left to fix?

BenQ is slower than Toshiba-Samsung and Hitachi-LG. Just as fast as NEC perhaps. Faster than Pioneer and Plextor. Plextor PX-716A is one of the slowest 16x DVD writers right now, of course excluding outdated models like DW1600, GSA-4160B, TS-H552B, etc. since there are replacements for them all.

The only thing that matters for a 16x DVD writer is the write strategy for 16x DVD media (unless you meant 16x CD media.) That was the first thing for Plextor to have fixed. I’m not saying CD writing and 4x DVD writing are not important in DVD writers, but to advertise a DVD writer product as a “16x DVD writerr”, it is the only thing that really matters.

Adding 6x DVD+R DL and 6x DVD-R DL to existing drives is a good thing. But it is supposed that people pay NOW and get 6x DL a few months later. Some other companies will sell drives with 6x DVD DL or 8x DVD DL some months later and for less than the drives they are selling now and they are already far cheaper than PX-716A. Is that impressive to you?

I don’t think I think I need to say anything.:iagree: :bigsmile:
Thanks Kenshin. :bigsmile:

I think we have a good, constructive debate here.

As covered in the Cdfreak’s review, the problems with the PX-716A’s 16X DVD write speed seem to be largely attributed to Powerec being oversensitive and dropping write speed in order to ensure quality. Tests with V1.04 firmware shows that Plextor is working out the kinks on this. This firmware is schedule to come out mid-month, so hopefully we should see a big difference.

Kenshin, you also mentioned other manufacturers releasing drives with faster dual-layer write speeds down the road for cheaper prices. This is inevitably true, but is nice to see Plextor giving us the fastest dual-layer write speeds available right now. I might pay a premium now, but I won’t have to buy that second (less expensive drive) later down the road because the PX-716A will still be up to date.

Every problem I read from the review seems to be firmware fixable. That’s why it is so good that this review has finally been released for the drive. It’s good for Plextor to see these problems and to start fixing them!

I know we have all waited a long time and gone through a lot of faulty hardware (TLA0000) for this drive to bloom, but I really have faith that v1.04 is going to make a big difference. Hang in there till mid-month, the sun is just starting to shine :bigsmile:

I’m going to bookmark this just so I can remind you of this in the future especially the up to date part. :smiley: :rolleyes:
Also what good is it with out the media?

All right, since no one seems to be on the fanatical side, I’ll try to answer one by one. The Italicized lines are the quoted parts.

As covered in the Cdfreak’s review, the problems with the PX-716A’s 16X DVD write speed seem to be largely attributed to Powerec being oversensitive and dropping write speed in order to ensure quality. Tests with V1.04 firmware shows that Plextor is working out the kinks on this. This firmware is schedule to come out mid-month, so hopefully we should see a big difference.

Tests with v1.04 shows 16x writing speed is still over 6 minutes. LG GSA-4163B writes to DVD-R at 16x in 5:20. LG is traditionally a slow drive maker. What 1.04 does compared to previous revisions of PX-716A firmware seems to be increasing the starting speed to make it a more smooth CAV graph till reaching 16x at the end. It’s nothing surprising or new but just resembles what NEC, Philips, and Ricoh demonstrated many times in the first half of 2004. This is the first half of 2005.

Kenshin, you also mentioned other manufacturers releasing drives with faster dual-layer write speeds down the road for cheaper prices. This is inevitably true, but is nice to see Plextor giving us the fastest dual-layer write speeds available right now.

Philips first demonstrated 16x DVD+R writing. Philips first mentioned 8x DVD+R DL publicly and also 8x DVD+RW. Hitachi-LG and probably some other DVD-RAM companies released to the press that they are working on 16x DVD-RAM. They are all for the public eyes to attract attention. As far as I can see, what BenQ and Plextor do regarding the promises of firmware updates to add features that are missing in the first release of specific drive models is also just marketing. It is good because consumers of the drives are going to get free updates to have more features. It is not so good because consumers have to pay now for features planned for future release. It would have been different if it was a firmware update for some past models like PX-708A. I would believe it is a good thing only if companies adds important and significant features and improvements to past models like SOHW-812S and ND-1300A through free firmware updates. Or free upgrade of the hardware itself. Is 6x DVD+R DL and 6x DVD-R DL available right now to end users of PX-716A? If not, Plextor is not giving them to you now. A promise is for the future.

I might pay a premium now, but I won’t have to buy that second (less expensive drive) later down the road because the PX-716A will still be up to date.

That depends on whether one wants to have one more or just wants to keep the one already in use. Most people prefer having one more if they can afford it whether it’s a car or a PC drive. One can buy PX-712A or GSA-4163B or ND-3520A or DW1600A Pro for US$40 to US$70 and for a little more depending on the markets and where you buy from now and wait for a few months and buy one more drive that has features like 16x DVD-RAM and 8x DVD+R/-R DL for US$50 or less. The combined cost would be still around US$100 and that surely beats PX-716A with the current frmware or some future 1.05 or 1.06 or 1.07 firmware. PX-716A in the US costs more than US$100 and more than US$150 in South Korea. I’m sure PX-716A costs far more than 50 Euros in Europe at this time.

Every problem I read from the review seems to be firmware fixable. That’s why it is so good that this review has finally been released for the drive. It’s good for Plextor to see these problems and to start fixing them!

Are those problems new to you or to Plextor? GSA-4163B were probably in development in the first of 2004. It burned at 16x both faster and better to more media with pre-release firmwares. How many months since PX-712A and only now Plextor can seriously start fixing the problems? Year 2005 is the year for 100-inch HDTVs and Blu-ray Disk recorders as well demonstrated in Las Vegas right now. This is not the first year to improving write strategies of 16x DVD writing.

I know we have all waited a long time and gone through a lot of faulty hardware (TLA0000) for this drive to bloom, but I really have faith that v1.04 is going to make a big difference. Hang in there till mid-month, the sun is just starting to shine :bigsmile

BenQ DW1600 and NEC ND-3500A were also better than what PX-716A is now before they became available to the general public on CDFreaks. Pioneer DVR-A09 has long been delayed but it’s finally out as well.

Ha, that’s fine. I stick to my word. :smiley:

So far as the media issue goes–You might ask why buy any drive with dual-layer, since the media is so expensive?

I guess the expectation is that it will eventually come down in price. And even though there will always be better burner’s out there in the future, at least I can be confident that when that time comes, the drive I have now will be able to burn both DVD DL-R and DL+R at 6x. Seems pretty fast to me, since I burn much of my media at 4x right now!

Plus, I bought my drive for $69.99 from PC-Connection. I actually paid more for my Benq 1620A!

I’ll pay a $5-$10 premium over the competition any day for a Plextor with the kind of advanced features the PX-716A has. :bigsmile: