Plextor support

vbimport

since its obvious any skilled indevidual wont get a e-mail back from plextor when you have an valid argument… perhaps some of them who read this forum can answer this question which not one lg admitted to it, but companies like nec also said it is possible with current burners to acheive. (such as lg have and others)

the question is

Why would you take away dvd ram support from paying customers from an high end device and have compition sell a drive capable of acheive more features perhaps even better for certain curmstances where they’d they to use such features as DVD RAM support. when it’s a simple firmware flash for you. The lack of progotive to take this leap and prove your the number one industry leader by marketing the number one drive in all sectors, would not only improve your sales worldwide but small buisnesses would also be more willing to spend money on a device which will give them that sense of security that dvd r’s or dvd rw’s can’t do to their writting capability compared to other standards which everyone is more familar with such as DVD RAM.

At my work ALL the computers (600+ employee computers) have lg DL burners. also as well as several other key areas for various employees. If PLEXTOR was willing to support DVD RAM you would be able to expand your sales and stock holders investment (protentially attracting more investors to invest in your company).

I do not work for Plextor, but I’ll give you an answer to your question that I’ll stake my computer on at least being close to the reason.
They got caught flat-footed by the 16x speed bump and wanted to crank a recorder out a.s.a.p. to try and get and or maintain some market share. The 716a being the result. In order to sell said recorder they added some bells and whistles to the programming like adjustable laser power for instance and also the double sized buffer. My guess is that by firmware version 1.09 or so we may get dvd ram back. knock on wood :confused: . I hope so.
All that being said. I knew this before I purchased my 716a. I purchased mine because of the potential of this drive. I also know that Plexi is losing a great many customers due to their not understanding of what thier customer base wants and needs. Do not stop sending e-mails to them. Even if you recieve no answers they are being read. Call them also.

Who said that Plextor doesn’t have DVD-RAM support? They have, but only in Japan where this format is popular. The Plextor PX-605A has support for 5x DVD-RAM (and 8x DVD±R).

Who said that Plextor doesn’t have DVD-RAM support? They have, but only in Japan where this format is popular. The Plextor PX-605A has support for 5x DVD-RAM (and 8x DVD±R).
I think dragger thought about a Plextor drive…

The 716a being the result. In order to sell said recorder they added some bells and whistles to the programming like adjustable laser power for instance and also the double sized buffer.
With BurnProof being disabled when GigaREC is enabled, the larger buffer does make sense :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as you can call a rebadged Panasonic drive “Plextor’s DVD-RAM support”. :smiley:

Well, it’s a Plextor, no? The first reaction I see in the thread where the PX-605A is announced, is “Looks like their standard Dual Format drive with DVD-RAM support (and CPRM ). Do we NEED DVD-RAM?”. If Plextor were to release a ‘real’ Plextor drive that supported DVD-RAM I’m sure we’ll see people complaining why don’t they release a drive with Blu-ray support?

Well, it’s a Plextor, no?
Nope
If Plextor were to release a ‘real’ Plextor drive that supported DVD-RAM I’m sure we’ll see people complaining why don’t they release a drive with Blu-ray support?
I think at least some people have learnt their lesson what happens when Plextor is releasing a drive too early…

Do we NEED DVD-RAM?"

xcopy "H:\Windows\Microsoft Office 2000\Dokumente\*.*" /s %1:\*.* /y /m /r
xcopy "H:\Windows2000\Borland\Delphi 6\Projects\*.*" /s %1:\*.* /y /m /r

I know that this looks too difficult for some GUI fanatics :evil: but a backup with automatic verification couldn’t be easier than one click on such a bat file :slight_smile:

Considering how expensive new stuff always is (e.g my first 2 Verbatim DVD+R DL discs were 14€ each), i’m sure more people would want to see DVD-RAM support than BluRay support.

Where does Dragger get the idea that Plextor “took away DVD-RAM support” when Plextor has never offered or advertised DVD-RAM support? DVD-RAM is still not a big issue in the US, regardless of Dragger’s particular wants or needs. If there was a big market, the vendors of DVDR would be releasing version after version of DVD-RAM or multi drives.

its not big?? every big company use dvd ram as a storage medium for its afordability. it’s the next tape drives…

Really? Damn… most of our machines don’t even have DVD-ROM drives…! :bigsmile:

DVD-RAM is a yawner in the US market–very few people care about it. Since the market is so small for it, Plextor was wise to spend their time on more important features, such as the best Double Layer support in the industry.

And as far as DVD-RAM support being a “simple firmware flash” I think you’re forgetting about the software development and testing that must go into the binary to support this feature. Firmware development is not an insignificant cost in making a burner!

the availability of blank media in maintream retailers is a good indicator of market demand for a particular format, and i just don’t see DVD-RAM enough to think it’s a big deal for the casual/personal end user in the US (at this point in time). LG is one of the few drive manufacturers offering support for this format - Pioneer, NEC, Lite-On, etc obviously don’t see much of a need to incorporate support either.

don’t get me wrong, i wouldn’t mind DVD-RAM support but the media isn’t exactly cheap either.

pioneer will enable dvd ram writing on demand we have a few new pioneer drives which have dvd ram support even though they are just dvd ram read on the std release firmware…

and for firmware not being cheap… you have any idea how easy it is to program something? the market they are loosing is alot more then the programming cost… it was a bad descsion to not include it. And by the end of 2005 benq and fellow cheap dvd rw drives will have full dvd ram support :iagree: if there was no market for it why would they all opt for it?

there is a market just bad descions made by management.
and having the best “dl sipport” is bs since i now can’t even use dl without spending more then a dvd ram disc which is worth spending the money for unlike dl.

Since they have already written the software/firmware to support DVDRAM why not have it on all their drives everywhere? While not as popular in the U.S. there are more than a few of us who love the platform. C’mon Plexi, give us our DVD-RAM support. ; )-

I must concur with drpino and Gamefreak: DVD-RAM support may be a nice extra to have, but the demand is just not there.<snip></snip>