Plextor sucks but Newegg Rocks

vbimport

Figured I’d warn of the completely bad experience I’ve had with Plextor and their PX-716SA drive. I bought this drive from newegg all on a couple weeks ago and have had nothing but headaches ever since. Initially it wouldn’t even work with my system, so after updating all Bios, Plextor FW, VIA Raid, and everything I could think of, it finally worked. Well, After only getting one successfull burn out of 6 tries plus it lagged my system somthing terrible. So I figured that there was a Hardware conflict with my system, so I tried everything under the sun trying to get it to work. Well, I guess SATA Optical technology isn’t perfected enough, so I e-mailed PLextor about 13 times over the period of a week and NEVER got one response. I finally called PLextor Support and I surprisingly got through to a speaking human after only a minute. Well, I explained my situation and he literally said, “Well, you bought it and have to deal with it.” So, I called newegg and told them the problems I was having, They quickly told me they would allow a refund for the item, although the listing said they wouldn’t, and that they’d waive the re-stocking fee, since I was buying a Plextor PX-716A. So, all in all, even though I opted the buy the Parallell ATA Plextor, I figured out that Plextor Customer Support blows, but Newegg is, as always, the best!!!

Hi and be welcome aboard!

I moved this to the Plextor forum, seems to be a better place for this one to me.

It’s too bad you had such a bad experience with the tech support. From my own experience, I don’t have much to complain about, always got fast and good responses (European support, as I am Dutch).

jeez…
everytime i submit and email to tech support,
I get a response within 24 hrs…

and that has been at least 6 times…

I also received a response via e-mail within 24 hours.

I don’t think Plextor was properly prepared when they released the S ATA version and I am almost sure they didn’t do complete compatibilty testing with all the AMD Mobo’s and the various ways to set them up. Thats probably why the other drive makers are not in such a hurry to release their versions. Let Plextor do the ground work! I am sure Plextor is feeling some heat with all the problems. IMHO.

I also bought a Plextor PX-716SA from Newegg.com and had to return it. This was a TLA #0203 716SA, and the drive’s write quality was awful and the drive couldn’t read CDs properly. Newegg did not treat me nearly as well, however. Because of the problems I have read about concerning this drive, I decided to try to find the drive at a retail store and buy it there, so if I had to make multiple returns, I wouldn’t have to deal with a lengthy return process. Also, at a retail store I could select the newer TLA #0304 revision off the shelf, and even select a box that was in good condition, which seemed to be important, since there are reports that this drive can be easily damaged in transit (causing the vibration problem). So, I found the PX-716SA at a retail store for more money ($149.99), and I bought it there so I would have the confidence of not going through a lengthy (multiple RMAs) return process and so I could get the drive I wanted. After getting the retail bought TLA #0304 PX-716SA drive and finding that it worked fine, I then RMA’d the TLA #0203 716SA drive I bought from Newegg. Not only was I charged the 15% restocking fee (yeah I know that’s standard), but I had to ask them 4 times to give me half of the shipping cost–in other words, I had to nag them to make them honor their own return policy. That’s not good customer service. As for the restocking fee, given that I chose the RMA refund for a good reason (because I couldn’t stand the possibility of getting a second and third bad drive from them), I felt that the 15% restocking fee was uncalled for. In short, I was not impressed with their customer service–you shouldn’t have to email them (which didn’t work)and then call them on the phone 3 times to get them to refund the 50% of the shipping fee. Newegg.com is great for their prices, the products they carry, and the time it takes to deliver the product. But, I found that their customer service department (which most people never have to deal with) is not good at all. Newegg doesn’t want you to know about their policy concerning the shipping fee, so they make it as hard as possible for you to get that half of the shipping fee back.

Well, I guess my hopes outwieghed the reality on this deal, I really though the SATA would be better, but so long as I can get a PATA Plextor, I think I’ll be satisfied. I just wish my experiences with Plextor woul have been more like my fellow CD Freaks. Oh well.

you should have returned the newegg drive to the local retail store
it would have gone back to plextor anyway

Thought about, that but, I have another burner so I ain’t in too big of a rush anyways.

i have tried e-mail to plextor several times and have never recieved a response period. Their customer service is non existant.

tlotz wrote

I also bought a Plextor PX-716SA from Newegg.com and had to return it. This was a TLA #0203 716SA, and the drive’s write quality was awful and the drive couldn’t read CDs properly. Newegg did not treat me nearly as well, however. Because of the problems I have read about concerning this drive, I decided to try to find the drive at a retail store and buy it there, so if I had to make multiple returns, I wouldn’t have to deal with a lengthy return process. Also, at a retail store I could select the newer TLA #0304 revision off the shelf, and even select a box that was in good condition, which seemed to be important, since there are reports that this drive can be easily damaged in transit (causing the vibration problem). So, I found the PX-716SA at a retail store for more money ($149.99), and I bought it there so I would have the confidence of not going through a lengthy (multiple RMAs) return process and so I could get the drive I wanted. After getting the retail bought TLA #0304 PX-716SA drive and finding that it worked fine, I then RMA’d the TLA #0203 716SA drive I bought from Newegg. Not only was I charged the 15% restocking fee (yeah I know that’s standard), but I had to ask them 4 times to give me half of the shipping cost–in other words, I had to nag them to make them honor their own return policy. That’s not good customer service. As for the restocking fee, given that I chose the RMA refund for a good reason (because I couldn’t stand the possibility of getting a second and third bad drive from them), I felt that the 15% restocking fee was uncalled for. In short, I was not impressed with their customer service–you shouldn’t have to email them (which didn’t work)and then call them on the phone 3 times to get them to refund the 50% of the shipping fee. Newegg.com is great for their prices, the products they carry, and the time it takes to deliver the product. But, I found that their customer service department (which most people never have to deal with) is not good at all. Newegg doesn’t want you to know about their policy concerning the shipping fee, so they make it as hard as possible for you to get that half of the shipping fee back.

It’s unfortunate that you had such a bad customer service experience with Newegg.com. I had a kvm switch that wasn’t compatible with my pc’s. I was able to return it without any restocking fee. I’ve always had great customer service from them. A few months ago on 1 of my orders they shipped FEDEX OVERNIGHT SHIPPING because of a delay in their warehouse. Now I call that GREAT customer service because they paid for that OVERNIGHTshipping cost. It cost them a pretty penny since I’m in Hawaii. :bigsmile: :wink:

Was Plextor not prepared? I think it’s the other way around: S-ATA chipsets are often not designed to handle optical drives via S-ATA. This has nothing to do with Plextor but is completely the fault of the chipset manufacturers. It’s so easy to blame the drive while in fact, the drive is not to blame. If you’re looking into getting a S-ATA Plextor drive then you need to do your homework and check out this forum for feedback on which motherboards work properly with S-ATA optical drives. A good example of this is this thread.

This has nothing to do with Plextor but is completely the fault of the chipset manufacturers

Weel said. Not to talk about some dubios system “racks” PC!
It´s almost like to buy, a AGP card, and have a SLI Board… :bigsmile:

Did have one you you, tyr a “mod” adapter from SATA to IDE? ( Even loosing SATA conection mode…).

Anyway, best lucky,

Mordorr

Over here the PX-716SA is sold with a compatibility list for SATA Chips stating that consumers should check before buying on the box itself. I remember the list being very short. Dont know how its in the USA or Europe but when there is a Plextor compatibility list around and you buy the drive using it on a incompatible SATA device its not Plextors fault if it doesnt work as you have been warned.

If you have a Motherboard with Intel IC5/IC6 chipset then you can try the 716SA if not get 716A. I have both version and they both work perfect the 716SA on 915/IC6R Chipset Motherboard and the 716A on 865PE/IC5 Chipset Motherboard

well put G@M3FR3@K.

the ONLY reason i can see going for a SATA opti drive is a lack of any available IDE connections due to existing drives (HDs and optis). the ONLY benefit of the SATA version is the ease of setup/cleaner cable (IDE setup is not a big deal if you know what you’re doing). opti drives don’t currently benefit from the added bandwidth of the SATA I and II interface, nor will they for a while. better off saving your SATA ports for HDs.

@G@M3FR3@K you are right as allways and I don’t think I got my point across properly! My actual point was that I don’t think Plextor Support was quite ready for the onslought of incapatibilty issues vith the various chipsets and add on controllers. The design is great but the incompatiblity issues are staggering. :o

you make good point crossg. the advent and development of new PC hardware technology is so rapid these days, it’s tough for many companies (even the HUGE ones with virtually unlimited resources available) to keep up with customer support. early adopters often suffer the most and double as gratis beta testers…oh woes to those of us who like to live on the bleeding edge :wink:

Wow, these are the first 2 people Ive heard of that have had problems with Newegg.

High, I own the plextor 716 SA And it works with my MSI neo platinum mother board with the bios 1.7.

However i just wanted to complain myself about the Plex 716sa

Its slow, I paid 150 bucks for a drive that burns DVDs at 4x When i use the verbatim 16 DVD +R I starts off climbing up to 12x holds for about a second and shifts down to 4x. If you ask me thats not what i paid 150 for and when it shifts it pauses for about 10-15 seconds so the time you made going up to 12x is lost on its way back down to 4x. The burn quality is excellent SUPER LOW PI/PO errors. but i feel i could achive that with any newer 16x burner set to 4x. So that defeats teh purpose of buying a 16x burner RIGHT?

I was under the impressoin this is normal but im finding that it is not. I even gave advice that this was normal. But now that more people have the drives. And finding everyone is having a different experiance. Right now im contacting plextor support but they keep giving me stupid automated emails.

They recently released a trayless 16X Im betting that they needed to remove the tray in order to get the drive to actually produce fast burns with high quaility (maybe bigger better parts the tray wont fit)! Why would you want a trayless drive???