Plextor SCSI burner - any news about the speed of this drive?

I’m eagerly awaiting the launch of this scsi drive - the first scsi drive from Plextor in years…:eek:

But does any one know the speed of this drive - read-, burn- and RW-speed ?

Hopefully it will be around the 50 mark in burning speed :cool:

Update !..

OK take a wild guess…:o

My guess & hope is that it’ll be a 52/24/52 speed scsi version - this would be nice - and it would at the same time meen I woulddn’t have to buy new SCSI cd burners ever again - because the word is, that the cdr of today can’t handle drive speeds excessing 52X - faster than that could meen they would explode inside the drives :rolleyes:

Next I will go for a solid DVD burner…maybe the Sony 500 og maybe another upcoming model…:stuck_out_tongue:

I dont think Plextor will increase reading/writing speeds on the new SCSI burner as they are reluctant to go above 40X on the 48X.
But a increase in CD-RW writing speed is not impossible.
Maybe DVD…??

Plextor WILL NOT make any faster drivers in the SCSI interface, if you want SCSI interface burners, look into Yamaha. SCSI doesn’t use the CPU when burning CD’s therefore, they had the advantage by not having buffer underruns, once Burn-Proof came out, Plextor saw the SCSI line was doomed so they stopped at 12/8/32.

Originally posted by poopeyhed2
Plextor WILL NOT make any faster drivers in the SCSI interface, if you want SCSI interface burners, look into Yamaha. SCSI doesn’t use the CPU when burning CD’s therefore, they had the advantage by not having buffer underruns, once Burn-Proof came out, Plextor saw the SCSI line was doomed so they stopped at 12/8/32.

You haven’t been up to date: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4911

I guess I missed that… and I not up to date with this news…

It happens :wink:

[commercial mode]
You can always read the latest new on http://www.cdfreaks.com !
[/commercial mode]

:stuck_out_tongue:

I do read the news, first I go to cdfreaks.com see the news like when all these new versions are released. ie. Alcohol, CloneCD, Blindwrite… then I go to the forums, it was October 14, I don’t know how I missed it…

I don’t know if you noticed this news:

The Plextor SCSI drive will be a 40/12/40 drive (and thus much like the PX-W4012TA IDE drive).

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=5151

Yup, I saw that news article yesterday…

So unless it gets 2 or 3 sheep, there won’t be anything new? Not even Ultraspeed CD-RW? :eek:

So unless it gets 2 or 3 sheep…

There’s 3 sheep burners? If so, wow, I need to be updated… :eek:

For the next releases of CloneCD the sheeps will be an optional…
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=5149

It amazes me that Yamaha has a 44x24x44 SCSI burner, and it would seem that all Plextor can come up with in a SCSI drive is a 12x rewriteable?

This is a slap in the face for all of the loyal SCSI users, who incidently put Plextor on the map! Are they trying to insult our intelligence or passify us by giving us this lame version of a drive?

Pooter

Originally posted by gamo62
[B]It amazes me that Yamaha has a 44x24x44 SCSI burner, and it would seem that all Plextor can come up with in a SCSI drive is a 12x rewriteable?

This is a slap in the face for all of the loyal SCSI users, who incidently put Plextor on the map! Are they trying to insult our intelligence or passify us by giving us this lame version of a drive?

Pooter [/B]

I don’t know - but it’s kind of a big disappointment to me that Plextor did not choose the 48/24/48 ATAPI version as the model to make the SCSI drive version from, and instead choosed the almost outdated 40/12/40 ATAPI drive as inspiration to the scsi version :rolleyes:

I can only imagine WHY :confused:

But my guess would be that Plextor thinks excessing >40X burn is not stable and therefor chooose 40X as max speed for the SCSI version. SCSI stands for total stability - and this argument is OK to me.

But I can’t find any excuse at all for not making the first Plextor SCSI CDRW version in years with a 24X CDRW when the technology is there and is very stable indeed :a

Plextor’s excuse is very simple: money savings…

The had to choose from which ATAPI drive they would make the SCSI version - and the 48X git the thumbs down, because of the 48X CDR.
If the SCSI version should be 24X CDRW compatible, Plextor would have had to make an entirely new drive - and this would have cost them extra money.

Hence we end up with a Plextor SCSI drive based on an older ATAPI drive - and with only 12X CDRW compatibility :Z

I already own the Yamaha F1 ATAPI drive - and have just bought the SCSI kit for this burner - but since I’m a SCSI fan I MUST own the Plextor SCSI version when it arrives - 24X CDRW or not :bigsmile:

Please forgive me I’m new here…
I was looking into the SCSI burner thing and I was wondering if the SCSI burners offer the same ability/limitations to copying safedisc 2 and above?

I was thinking that I would like to convert to a SCSI burner at the same time that I convert to a SCSI HD, but I want to be able to make backups of my games and stuff… (really, just backups)
Right now for that, it seems that the liteon IDE burners are the best for that from what I have read… Is that true or can the SCSI drives do the same things?

Thanks,
“g”

SCSI and IDE writers are basically the same hardware but they use a different interface. So yes a Plextor SCSI drive would probably have the same limitations as the IDE version: SafeDisc up to version 2.70 will need ‘AWS’ to make a perfect back-up.