Plextor releases PX-760 series 18X Dual Format DVD burners

I just posted the article Plextor releases PX-760 series 18X Dual Format DVD burners.

dss311 used our news submit to tell us about the release of the latest writers in the Plextor
lineup. Plextor has put up a news release announcing the PX-760A and PX-760SA.
As stated from the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11489-Plextor-releases-PX-760-series-18X-Dual-Format-DVD-burners.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11489-Plextor-releases-PX-760-series-18X-Dual-Format-DVD-burners.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I dont like it -No DVD-RAM support (important at least for me) -Only trial Plextools Pro XL -High (?) Price

Oh great some extremely expensive featureless marketing crap. I hope this drive fails

So, tell us who really makes the drive, so that we can buy it at half the price.

A little harsh reaction. The PX-755 has so far gotten fairly high marks. Plextor waited to get the PX-760 up to snuff, so I bet this drive is a winner. Hopefully, the drive won’t be anymore expensive then the 716 drive is. We’ll keep our fingers crossed…

Plextor needs to get back to making drives that their Plextools actually work with, instead of rebadging other drives. Why buy the 755 at their price, when you can buy the BenQ or Teac drive it really is for about half? PlexTools doesn’t fully work with the 755 either.

Only 2MB buffer… well Plextor isn’t what it used to be… :c

I thought they said 18x recording wasn’t ready because the media available wasn’t up to scratch? Have they just thought F**K it, let’s get it out the door and then P*SS about with firmware updates until we get it right?

18x DVD burning… C0deKing did it first, Plextor lose. And only 6x DVD-R DL is disappointing, IMO.

Only 6x DL? Do those discs exist already?

I’m curious to see how good the burns are because the features aren’t outstanding. While an 8MB buffer doesn’t make a whole lot of difference at high speeds since it will store less than a seconds worth of data, a larger buffer would still be nice. For the price they charge, it should be a 16MB buffer. Assuming that the memory chips used are the same ones as hard drive caches, a 16MB chip can’t be too expensive. If the drive makes great burns, had a 16MB buffer, came with a full (non-trial) version of Plextools XL, could burn DVD-RAM at a minimum of 5X, and had 32 CD-RW writing, I would probably buy it. As is, I’ll probably get a BenQ 1655 or cross my fingers that NEC sells the 4550 in the US with the NEC name on it.

Just my humble .02-cents worth, but I’ve had superb experience with Plextors. From my (still) trusty UltraPlex, Premium, 708 & 716, I’ve had perfect rips & burns and not a bit of trouble. Just lucky, maybe? As much as I’d like to buy a “$50 Plex” the ones I have are worth every cent I paid. If I start having problems such as the ones I’ve read about, I’ll probably give Benq, the poor man’s Plex, a try:d

wow, plextor really lost the connections with its loyal fans & i cannot blame them as i know how bad plextor has been since my 1st burner 708a i really hope that plextor opens up the interface that pxscan can work with it; without the scanning ability, plextor dvd-writer is nothing but a bad buy

Plextor’s outstanding reputation was well earned through superior products with a price tag to match the quality. Then they became no more than rebadgers of adeqate drives, but with the same very high price tag. Stunts like this drive show the despiration of the company to remain in business.

Um, the 755A and 760A are real Plextor drives people. They use Sanyo chipsets and support the full range of Plextools features. Get the info right before making a comment, please.

Plextor is infamious of high price only. Let’s move to other quality brand :slight_smile:

LOL, so much badmouthing about a drive that hasn’t even been released yet. Let’s wait and see how it performs shall we, before trashing it.

8x DVD burning… C0deKing did it first, Plextor lose.
Great. But C0deKing is not employed by any hardware manufacturer and his work is known to maybe 0,5% of users of optical drives. 18X recording that is officially supported by the manufacturer is a first. That’s a fact.
Only 2MB buffer… well Plextor isn’t what it used to be…
Someone always comments on this. If Plextor releases a drive with an 8MB buffer someone says that it’s overkill. If they use a 2MB version someone says it’s not enough.
Have they just thought F**K it, let’s get it out the door and then P*SS about with firmware updates until we get it right?
Plextor did postpone the release of this drive and probably did so for a reason. So, they did not rush the release of this drive as your comment implies.
I dont like it
Don’t but it. It’s really is as simple as that. I, for one, look forward to seeing reviews of this drive. After that we can conclude if the drive is worth the money or not.

Well said, well said…:):):):slight_smile: Anyone buy my Benq 1640? 1 Month of use? My 716 needs a brother:p

THE JAPAN SITE HAS AN ARCTICLE FOR PX-760,PUTINNG IT ON A ONLINE TRANSLATOR SAYS THET THE SHIPMENT FOR LATE FEBRUARY IS STILL ON.AS US SITE SAYS THAT AVAILIABILITY WILL BE IN APRIL,I HOPE THAT THE FEBRUARY SHIPMENT CONCERNS EUROPE.ITS BEEN 5 MONTHS WE’VE SEEN THE 760 ON PLEXTORS EUROPEAN WEBSITE AND IM VERY ANXIOUS TOBUY THIS DRIVE AND SEE HOW IT WORKS!

I highly recommend Plextor drives, especially for backing up / burning karaoke (cd+g). I currently use a PX-760A (internal) for my home pc and a PX-716UF (external) with my laptop. I would love to see Plextor develop an internal laptop drive, however. Plextor stands behind their products; I’ve had one bad drive and Plextor replaced it since my drive was still under warranty. A major plus with Plextor is the ability to speak with a tech support or customer service representative on the telephone. Because of having so much success with Plextor drives and their superior customer service on the telephone, I won’t even consider using any other drive except for Plextor.