Plextor recording speed control

I have a new Plextor 708A. It is a great burner and it replaced a great Pioneer A04.

I am using Record Now version 4.5. When I go to burn a DVD the software only gives me a min/med/max setting and not a numeric value. This has been oK in the past.

However, I have done some burns on TDK-R 4x data and wanted to run it at medium so that it would burn at the rated speed of 4x, but even with that set in the software it still burned at 8x. I was having some problems with the TDK blanks that burned fast and I wanted to make sure I burned on at 4x. This software does not appear to follow instructions well.

Is there a way to do this in this software, or is there better software out there, except EZCD creator…I have had so many problems with that software in the past I want nothing to do with it. Also, the software that came in the box with the drive is lame.

I have looked at the new Sonic version of Record Now 6.5.

I just want something that will bloody well record at the speed I set it at.

This is a great forum and thanks for any help.

CDL

Hello! I have CloneDVD which has a preferred setting for the recording speed, and so far, I have tried it at 2-2.4x, 4x and 8x, and the recorder records at the requested speeds every time.

HTH,

Jon

Nero Burning Rom also works pretty well. When you select 4x it will record at this speed. When you select 8x it will also record at this speed but your recorder will determine if this speed is really possible and if not, it will lower the speed. The recording speed will however not be raised to 8x when you, for example, selected 4x.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Nero Burning Rom also works pretty well. When you select 4x it will record at this speed. When you select 8x it will also record at this speed but your recorder will determine if this speed is really possible and if not, it will lower the speed. The recording speed will however not be raised to 8x when you, for example, selected 4x.

Thanks for the comments. On balance, do you think Nero is, or would be better, than the Record Now Deluxe 6.5?

I have had crippled versions of Nero for some TDK CD burners I have, but I was not impressed.

I want to get, as you would expect, the best match of software for my Plextor.

Thanks again.