Plextor Pxq840u purchase. Should I?

Hi, I’m new to this forum and I usually buy prebuilt computers since I wouldn’t trust myself with building one, but one of my internal drives just died on me so I’m looking for an external. I’ve been looking at the plextor PX Q840U since I heard plextor is pretty good quality and the qflix feature seems like it would be nice.

Now the main question I have are about plexutilities Are they really that much of an advantage when it comes to updating the drive?

Please don’t shun me for not knowing too much. I’m trying to learn and make a good decision on something that I hope will last a good while.

-j

I’ve heard good things from my friends about that Plextor drive as well. I am looking into purchasing an external for my netbook.

I currently have a PX-850SA and it’s great!

This drive is a bit on the noisy side but I live right by an airport so it really doesn’t bother me. I’m used to the noise. Other than that, it works coo except for no booktype support yet. Firmware update should change that in the future. Oh, and girls always ask me what Qflix is because of the gigantic logo on it, which is always a plus!

BA

Hey bitaddict, u say the girls always ask about Qflix, but have you ever used it yet? I personally don’t see the point in making discs with CSS, especially when you have to pay for the downloads. Maybe you can enlighten me as to the benefits of such a feature?

[QUOTE=UareDumb;2273454]Hey bitaddict, u say the girls always ask about Qflix, but have you ever used it yet? I personally don’t see the point in making discs with CSS, especially when you have to pay for the downloads. Maybe you can enlighten me as to the benefits of such a feature?[/QUOTE]

Nothing in life is free my friend. And with technology getting better, as we enter into a time where virtually everything is copyright protected, you Limewire and Kazaa kiddies will be wishing you jumped on the Qflix bandwagon while sitting in your jail cells. I don’t mean to be an ass but, face it, you cannot when the battle against the RIAA and MPA.

Here is a link for more info on how to legally download content.

http://www.mpaa.org/piracy_LegalOpt.asp

BA:cop:

Pffft yeah the RIAA can shove it in the bum, this debate has been going on since the Napster days and Gnutella network. HMV music store still offer to let you preview CD’s before buying them to give a close analogy. I ain’t worried.

Same ole threats

Hey guys! I asked questions about the product, not downloading methods. I seem to have trouble with the law, so i’m gonna use the qflx (if i ever understand it <----newb?).

Can we get back on topic?

Hey the best things in life are free, my friend.
Name one person sitting in jail cause they downloaded a song or a movie. I bet you can’t, cause there ain’t no one in jail for that. Sure they say they gonna crack down, but really there ain’t enough room in the already overcrowded jails for all the people who download for free.

But let’s get back on topic.
Nocluebro, I would recommend using the Qfix, I mean who wants to really break the law? Not you, I’m sure. And Qfix, big chick magnet it seems.

[U]Bottom line[/U]:
[B]Use qfix[/B]: have bes and stay out of jail.
[B]Don’t use qfix[/B]:be someone b
in jail. maybe. (probably not) :bigsmile:

nuff said.

:cop:

BA

It’s probably another manufacturer’s rebadged drive with at least a $30 price premium due to the Plextor name on it. Save your money and get a cheaper drive, Plextor doesn’t make their own drives anymore.

Basicly the PX-Q840U is an external PX-806SA, which is a Liteon iHAS120 + Qflix.

It’s me again, and I still haven’t ordered a drive, but I found something interesting on the plextors site. Apparently there’s an updated version of plexutilites that came out? Now how would that benefit me over the previous versions taht are included with the drive?

Would be really beneficial to know. thanks guys. Still learning, really slowly.

[QUOTE=oddINit;2279037]Apparently there’s an updated version of plexutilites that came out? Now how would that benefit me over the previous versions taht are included with the drive?[/QUOTE]

Bug fixes were probably made to address issues with the previous versions. Benefits would probably be less crashes.