Plextor PX712A new firmware 1.05!

vbimport

Looks like it’s finally here. See if this is the cure all!!

http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/downloads/firmw_712A.asp?choice=DVD-Recorders

Hmmmmmm?
It says nothing about improving write quality in the info :confused:
Hopefully it won´t get worse.

I’m currently doing PI/PO (Sum8) and it got worse!!! Will try to burn the same ISO with 1.04 and post both scans soon.

In the other thread I posted that FW 1.05 file size is the smallest among all FW (1.01-1.05). What are they updating???

Never mind mate, I’ve just burnt a 8x disk, took almost 10 mins to complete, there are two extremly high spikes (which were not with 1.04) and NO improvement in PI/PO scan… Is Plextor a company that is shy to admit that they had some bad branches which CANNOT be soplved by a firmware update ? A recall would be an end of them or what a hell ? Sure I won’t wait more for their MAGIC updates, as they solve NOTHING. 6x writting is ok, but no higher, wasted 200 euro for a shit that my 2 old drive could do aswell. Enough of it, NO MORE Plextor for me that’s SURE !

regards, Stephen

Never mind mate, I’ve just burnt a 8x disk, took almost 10 mins to complete, there are two extremly high spikes (which were not with 1.04) and NO improvement in PI/PO scan… Is Plextor a company that is shy to admit that they had some bad branches which CANNOT be solved by a firmware update ? A recall would be an end of them or what a hell ? Sure I won’t wait more for their MAGIC updates, as they solve NOTHING. 6x writting is ok, but no higher, wasted 200 euro for a shit that my 2 old drive could do aswell. Enough of it, NO MORE Plextor for me that’s SURE !

regards, Stephen

somebody try Ritek G05 with 1.05 ???

First test with FUJIFILM03. These are still borderline so no improvement for these.

Now Taiyo Yuden TYG01. These now write perfectly at 8X but Plextor brand these as their own discs so you would expect them to fix these.

Uh … that’s the kind of thing that made me sell my LiteOn DVDRW …
:Z

@ u_n_s97

can’t understand you!

I personally think the PX-712A is a very good drive.
If you paid 200 euro, its your fault i got my for 105 euro!
OK i must agree quality 12x burns are very rare,
but how many 12x media have you seen???

With 8x you should use high quality 8x media from TaiyoYuden or Ricoh,
and everything goes well.

If you try to burn 4x media with 8x its your risk, but don’t say the drive is crap…

By the way how many drives gives you the chance to check the PI/PO Rates, i think there is not a hand full…

Improvements:
Write performance on DVD-R media.
Write performance on DVD+R media.

1. TYG01 burned @ 8x firmware 1.03
  2. TYG01 burned @ 8x firmware 1.05

YUDEN000-T01-00 (Samsung DVD+R 4x burned @8x).
Same ISO file, using DVDDecrypter.

The graph looks similar but you can see in FW1.04, the spike PI error is “only” 380 at point 750mb, and PI error 15 at around 3GB.

While with FW1.05 the errors are more than twice! Almost 800 at 750mb and 50 at 3Gb.

Anybody tried 1.05 @6x? is it good or bad? I reverted to 1.04 and don’t think wanted to go back to 1.05 for now.

Pchilson, so in your case it’s improving DVD-R media…
I’m using the same ISO file, you’re not. It would be interesting if you burn love_actually with 1.03 or 1.04 and compare with 1.05.

Taroth, This is -R media I presume… and the FUJIFILM03 is the +R media?

hmm… I wonder if 1.05 is improving -R media only, and +R media get worse

Lexani: man, 200 euro is quite a lot for such a drive that offers NOTHING compared to my old Pioneer. Don’t make me laugh, that this drive is excellent… Even Plextor agrees they have problems with these. But never mind, be happy with your one. I know I can buy anything for half of the Plextor’s price and will burn BETTER disks. And it’s NOT my problem that Plextor sold their craps for 200 euro, the price was so high 2 months ago. As they realised their shit is problematic they started to lower the price… Of course it’s MY problem that I belived their words that time and later when they claimed that the new MAGIC fw would fix everything… Now it’s here and what the hell does it fix, tell me !!! Anyway if I inserted a scan of a TY media written at 8x, you’d be shocked HOW BAD that “quality” burn was. Of course with superb quality media…

regards, Stephen

here’s a Platinium (g05) scan written at 8x. (note: ones written at 4x have PI’s between 30000 and 50000)

regards, Stephen

8x_g05_fw105_pipo.TXT (407 Bytes)

Anybody want to buy my 2 week old PX-12A :iagree:

FW version of your choice installed :iagree:

Did Plextor say this was the big fix or did someone else make it up?

Taroth, This is -R media I presume… and the FUJIFILM03 is the +R media?

hmm… I wonder if 1.05 is improving -R media only, and +R media get worse

They are both DVD-R, I don’t have any DVD+R to test because they don’t work in my XBOX.

Here’s my results for RITEK G05, not as good as u_n_s97 but an improvement over 1.04. It appears that they are written correctly after the point where the drive re-calibrates at 8X. It’s a shame it doesn’t start off so well in the 6-8X part.

As per your request…
TYG01 burned @ 8x firmware 1.03
Compared to the 1.05 burn shown in post # 11 there is a definite improvement in firmware 1.05
I will be using 1.05 for sure… :wink: