Plextor PX-W4012A Problem

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

Ok, I bought this CDRW drive on June 26th 2002 and I never had any problems until now :frowning:

I get this in Clone CD 4.0.1.10 :eek:

I also get the same error Power Calibration Failed in the VERY latest Nero too :frowning:

It does not happen all the time but happens like 2 out of 5 times.

What is going on and how can I fix this? :confused:

Please do not tell me to return it as I bought it at a Computer Fair and I have not seen the same people since then.

Most of the time, this error is caused by bad (incompatible) media. Hence, the Medium (media) Error. The Power Calibration Area Error indicates that the test area before the disc lead in could not find a successful laser calibration setting that would allow the disc to be burned successfully.

The error can also be caused by a burner that is failing or in need of cleaning, but this is much less likely.

Try a different, high quality media and see if this fixes the problem. :slight_smile:

i know similar cases than have been solved updating firmware… were not plextor, but maybe works :wink:

Firmware version is 1.02, the VERY latest firmware so updating it is not an option or possible :rolleyes:

It is now!

40/12 Firmware v1.03

Go get it!!

Good Luck
Ace

Originally posted by Ace007
[B]It is now!

40/12 Firmware v1.03

Go get it!!

Good Luck
Ace [/B]

Sorry m8 , i can’t see that anywhere …:confused:

Direct Download Link

Newspost: www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=5056
Worked for me :wink:

Ok, I will update the firmware (what luck :slight_smile: )

Why do I not get the error in CDRWin 3.9B?

BTW thanks to everyone for helping me :smiley:

I think the CDs I was using may be the problem because I got the same error again AFTER updating the firmware.

Ritek manufacturer seems to be the best for me.

The ones giving problems are DataSafe Media and the disc manufacturer is Pro Disc Technology.

Are they known to make bad quality CDs?

SSJ4 Vegetto you spoke too early with latest firmware :bigsmile:

Ok guys, tried the SAME DataSafe Media at a lower speed and the problem seems to have gone.

The CDs are rated 40x (yeah right!) but only burn fine at 8x.

So this was the fault of the media right?

Originally posted by Iluro80
SSJ4 Vegetto you spoke too early with latest firmware :bigsmile:

Why?

Originally posted by SSJ4 Vegetto
So this was the fault of the media right?
Yes.