Plextor PX-LB950SA 12X BD-ReWriter Review

vbimport

I just posted the article Plextot PX-LB950SA 12X BD-ReWriter Review.

MyCe is reviewing the latest Plextor blu-ray burner. The Plextro PX-LB950SA can burn at 12x on blu-ray, 16x for DVD’s and 48X.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/plextot-px-lb950sa-12x-bd-rewriter-review-38550/](http://www.myce.com/review/plextot-px-lb950sa-12x-bd-rewriter-review-38550/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Plexto[B][I]t[/I][/B]? Is this a new brand? Or something fake like Adidos shoes? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2567756]Plexto[B][I]t[/I][/B]? Is this a new brand? Or something fake like Adidos shoes? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

oops!:o

:slight_smile:

To topic: A Plextor drive butchering TY CD-R - this is really ugly :Z

Michael

Four possibilities here:

1: You are young. I may have Plextor drives older than you mciahel.

2: You don’t get out much and don’t read all the MyCE posts.

3: Since Plextor is a higher end brand, you may be (like me) shopping at WalMart or other discounters.

4: You’re kidding, right?

Sorry, but i could not resist… I’m just kidding you, have a good one mciahel!

[QUOTE=mciahel;2567756]Plexto[B][I]t[/I][/B]? Is this a new brand? Or something fake like Adidos shoes? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=CHIPSpeaking;2567764]Four possibilities here:

1: You are young.[/quote]checking passport Unlikely.

I may have Plextor drives older than you mciahel.
Even more unlikely. Unless you own a Plextor drive that was made before the CD had been invented. :bigsmile:

2: You don’t get out much and don’t read all the MyCE posts.
You are partially correct here: I don’t read all forum posts, since I also have something like a real life. :smiley:

3: Since Plextor is a higher end brand, you may be (like me) shopping at WalMart or other discounters.

The “Plextor” brand name is compromised when they started to recycle drive hardware from other manufacturers like Pioneer or Liteon. And Walmart has given up here in Germany :bigsmile: (no loss, since they had only crap in their shelves)

4: You’re kidding, right?
Of course :iagree:

Sorry, but i could not resist… I’m just kidding you, have a good one mciahel!
A good one either :slight_smile:

Michael

Sorry you’re in such an unhappy state as concerns Plextor. I actually have an older Plextor drive (still working) that is older than my adult son, so my experience goes way back. I have been in the computer industry for over 22 years professionally and for 8 years before than as an avocation. I remember setting up drives from them when I was working for a computer manufacturer in 1989 in units delivered to the US Federal Government account, for archival storage.

My opinion of Plextor is that while they may have experienced a few bumps in the road so to speak, on average, they have a better quality drive than almost anyone else. When I have the funds, I buy their products, or when a client specifies they want the best, when they can afford to pay for it, they get Plextor…

I did not intend to make you feel badly or touchy. I WAS kidding around, and if you were offended, I apologize.
:eek:

[QUOTE=CHIPSpeaking;2567866]Sorry you’re in such an unhappy state as concerns Plextor.[/quote]Seriously, I don’t mind. :slight_smile:

I did not intend to make you feel badly or touchy. I WAS kidding around, and if you were offended, I apologize.
I didn’t feel offended at all. Your initial reply was kind of fun, so I was kind of kidding either :smiley:

Michael
And now let’s get back to the topic, which is Vroom’s review :wink:

:cool: Right-o, It looks like a pretty good drive. What do you think of it, considering your experience with their stuff & the review Michael?

What I most like from the review, that’s the clear words. “poor CD-R performance”.
I’ve never seen such a lousy CD-R quality :Z
This drive is simply disappointing.

Michael

Very nice DVD+R burn quality, but very poor CD-R, and DVD-R burn quality is quite bad as well …

I presume the PX-LB950SA is an iHBS212 clone right?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2567900]What I most like from the review, that’s the clear words. “poor CD-R performance”.
I’ve never seen such a lousy CD-R quality :Z
This drive is simply disappointing.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I will have to agree, the only drive that i can remember having bad cd-r scans was my old LG H42L (or something like that) and the samsung 223.

[QUOTE=cvs;2567911]Very nice DVD+R burn quality, but very poor CD-R, and DVD-R burn quality is quite bad as well …

I presume the PX-LB950SA is an iHBS212 clone right?[/QUOTE]

I think Yes. The unit was on loan, so i didnt want to open it.

“The Plextor PX-LB950SA had no problems in creating and reading our test discs.”

Huh? It didn’t even write to that Maxell media at 12x. Seriously… this is a Blu-ray writer review. Put more effort into the Blu-ray tests.

And yes… this is a Lite-On clone.

i only had 2 plextor drives. a cd-r burner , don’t remember the model , ithink it was the 40x12x30 somethink like that and a dvd burner the 760as. both were crap.extremely low quality on cd media and below average to all dvd media.well at least the ones i used. i remember writing to philips media and all of the discs were unreadable. also the best readers ,as for scratches and dirt was and is by a farcry the all of my samsung drives (203b/p) ,less the 223f.

[QUOTE=Im a PC;2567920]And yes… this is a Lite-On clone.[/QUOTE]

If it is a Lite-On clone, is is substantially more expensive than a Lite-On drive. What justifies the big price difference?

[QUOTE=Coconut;2567989]What justifies the big price difference?[/QUOTE]

You’re paying for the Plextor name.

For future reference… if a drive supports PlexUtilities, its a Lite-On clone.

[QUOTE=Im a PC;2567992]You’re paying for the Plextor name.

For future reference… if a drive supports PlexUtilities, its a Lite-On clone.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, but wow! The latest two Sony BD drives are also Lite-On clones, and now the Plextor!

Also the drive has a collect and return warranty adds to the price.

I could have dreamed this but I remember reading somewhere that Lite-On has the rights to produce and sell Plextor drives in the US. Meaning all Plextor drives drives sold in the US are Lite-On drives.

There is something missing - Overburning DVD test ??