FW: 1.02
All default
Burned at 16x

Could you please dump the firmware and bootcode of this drive? :slight_smile:

Sky 8x DVD-R
SONY08D1
FW: 1.02
Burned at 8x

I have this same drive and cannot find any utility that will run with this drive.
The start button in Nero CD-DVD Speed is greyed out. What good is a burner that you cannot check a disc for burn quality? Using Windows 8.

[QUOTE=Redking1;2733561]I have this same drive and cannot find any utility that will run with this drive.
The start button in Nero CD-DVD Speed is greyed out. What good is a burner that you cannot check a disc for burn quality? Using Windows 8.[/QUOTE]

CD-DVD Speed blocks Plextor drives due to the way genuine Plextor drives (those that existed before…2007?) were set up to scan with Plextor tools only.

For these newer drives that are merely rebadges of other hardware, you might be able to tweak a setting via the Windows registry to enable it. See http://club.myce.com/f105/samsung-sh-s182f-cant-use-disc-quality-under-nero-cd-dvd-speed-219336/ and make sure you remove the reference to “Plextor” where appropriate. This might work for that drive because…

This “Plextor” is a LiteOn.
That LiteOn is based on unreleased Optiarc hardware, but assembled & programmed by LiteOn, from what we gather.
Optiarc hardware traditionally supports some forms of limited scanning. LiteOn drives very much support scanning.

What other utilities have you tried?

Thanks for the reply, the tweak you mentioned worked perfectly. However check out
this scan. I have also tried: Opti Drive Control. Even Plexutilities doesn’t work!

[QUOTE=Redking1;2733595] I have also tried: Opti Drive Control. [/quote]Theoretically should work; practically, I’m unaware of how to work around that issue.

Even Plexutilities doesn’t work!
If what I’m thinking of is correct, PlexUtilities requires a drive based on an original LiteOn design, and then only certain drives are allowed. This drive, being part Optiarc, does not qualify.
Thanks for the reply, the tweak you mentioned worked perfectly. However check out
this scan.
Maybe it’s okay for scanning. Does that particular disc actually work wherever you try it? And does the scan look any better when performed at 16x?

[B]Redking1[/B], could you please dump the firmware and bootcode of the drive?

For main firmware dumping use Liggy’s BinFlash:
http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/

For bootcode (and extra data) dumping use patched version of BinFlash (by CrossCat):
http://crazycat69.narod.ru/nec-dvdrw/necflashfx.zip
mirror: http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/17041880/file.html

Thanks in advance!

The disc was a Verbatim by the way/CMC Media. Some features of Plexutilities work, some do not. I am sending another scan using Verbatim Datalife Plus media. Scanning that 1st disc with Nero CD-DVD Speed scandisc option, it showed damaged parts of the disc but no c2 errors. The worst media I have used so far is Maxell Maxdata CD-R made in China, absolute junk.

[QUOTE=Redking1;2733722]The disc was a Verbatim by the way/CMC Media. Some features of Plexutilities work, some do not. I am sending another scan using Verbatim Datalife Plus media. Scanning that 1st disc with Nero CD-DVD Speed scandisc option, it showed damaged parts of the disc but no c2 errors. The worst media I have used so far is Maxell Maxdata CD-R made in China, absolute junk.[/QUOTE]

Okay, then, it looks like it can be trusted to help give you an idea of good discs and not-so-good discs. That first scan of the CMC disc model (the plain Verbatim-branded disc) with all those errors toward the end…ick. This Verbatim disc model (the Datalife Plus-branded disc) looks good though.

Forgot to mention the second scan is MCC Super AZO Media.

Here is a scan of HP media- CMC Media made in China. I can recall when HP had Taiyo Yuden media.

This is a scan of duplication grade media by Titan. It is made by CMC.
Hit and miss quality so far from a spindle of 100.

Can’t upload the scan for some reason.

[QUOTE=Redking1;2738583]Can’t upload the scan for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Is it giving you an error or any indication of why it’s failing?

This Titan media is worse than I thought, pinholes, smears and 2 outright failed burns.

Sorry, not my drive so I can’t do what you ask about a firmware dump.

I suppose I can’t mention the name of the site I bought this crap media at?

[QUOTE=Redking1;2738927]I suppose I can’t mention the name of the site I bought this crap media at?[/QUOTE]

I mean, as long as you don’t tell any blatant lies or something like that, then it should be okay.

Can you check what is the minimal writing speed for Cds? Need something for quality audio: x1,x2