Plextor PX-891SAF

vbimport

Hey jadburner

I just picked up one of the PX891SAF drives…I installed it yesterday, it has a later firmware than yours…wonder what improvements came with the updated firmware…

I really do not have any media to speak of since I retired from reviewing for CDFreaks but it would be interesting to see how this drive compares to yours…

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2771904]Hey jadburner

I just picked up one of the PX891SAF drives…I installed it yesterday, it has a later firmware than yours…wonder what improvements came with the updated firmware…

I really do not have any media to speak of since I retired from reviewing for CDFreaks but it would be interesting to see how this drive compares to yours…

[/QUOTE]

I think the attachment didn’t attach correctly. :doh:

Strange, I can see it…but I haven’t attached anything here for some time now.

Anyways the new firmware is 1.v6

Going to do a clean install of Win10 right now but when I am back up and running again I will do a burn or two with my on-hand media and put those up here…

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2771904]I just picked up one of the PX891SAF drives…I installed it yesterday, it has a later firmware than yours…wonder what improvements came with the updated firmware…[/QUOTE]

~KIPPER~ - Thanks for the heads up. I’ll try to track down that firmware and test it out.

@jadburner
@~KIPPER~

Just wondering.

What is the manufacturing date of your PX891SAF drive?

[QUOTE=jcroy;2771934]@jadburner
@~KIPPER~

Just wondering.

What is the manufacturing date of your PX891SAF drive?[/QUOTE]

I will pull it back out of the system and take a look in a little while…putting all the software back on the system now…did a clean install of Win10 to give it one more chance before I go back to Win7…

I checked a recently purchased backup PX-891SAF, and it has the newer firmware. The date on both of my drives is August 2015. A copy of the newer firmware can be found here, but someone needs to check it first.

Thanks guys.

@jadburner

Your upload appears to look fine.

Opening up this binary file in an editor, the string “PLEXTOR DVDR PX-891SAF1.V62016/02/26” appears in a keyword search I did for “PLEXTOR”.

This is shooting in the dark, but I think the bootFW for these PX891SAF firmwares are (from looking at the binary files in a text editor):

1.00 ----> bootFW “0P3C”

1.V6 ----> bootFW “0 C”

(ie. There are two spaces in the string “0 C”).

Yea, mine is Aug also…

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2771958]Yea, mine is Aug also…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

Here’s something very interesting I noticed between the PX891SAF firmwares of 1.00 and 1.V6, when crossflashed to my ASUS DRW-24F1ST c drive with a September 2015 manufacturing date.

After jadburner posted the 1.V6 firmware, I crossflashed the 1.V6 firmware to my DRW-24F1ST c drive, and subsequently ripped 14 movie dvd discs which were previously known to have “getting lost and not going to full speed” problems on this DRW-24F1ST c drive with previous firmwares I flashed (ie. CL08/CL09/CL99 and the original default “DRW-24F1ST c 1.0” firmwares).

I run my dvd drives outside of the computer’s enclosure, and also keep a fan blowing directly on the dvd drive when I’m ripping dvds.

While ripping these 14 dvd discs, I noticed my DRW-24F1ST c drive with the PX891SAF [B]1.V6[/B] firmware, was producing a considerable amount of heat than with previous firmwares. While the dvd discs were being ripped, the top of the dvd drive’s enclosure felt very warm when I touched it (even with the fan blowing directly on the dvd drive). When a dvd disc was finished being ripped and I ejected the disc from the drive, the disc also felt very very warm. I started noticing this after ripping a few discs consecutively.

To determine whether or not this was just a fluke, I flashed the PX891SAF [B]1.00[/B] firmware to my DRW-24F1ST c drive, and ripped the same 14 dvd discs again (in the same sequence as previously).

This time around with the PX891SAF [B]1.00[/B] firmware, my DRW-24F1ST c drive ran considerably “cooler” in temperature. Whenever I touched the top of the drive while the 14 discs were being ripped, it did not feel warm at all. After a dvd disc was finished being ripped and I ejected the disc from the drive, the disc did not feel warm at all. Both the DRW-24F1ST drive and the 14 dvd discs felt relatively cool/neutral to the touch throughout the ripping process from start to finish.

(In terms of the annoying “getting lost and not going to full speed” behavior, both the PX891SAF 1.00 and 1.V6 firmwares considerably reduced this annoying behavior on my DRW-24F1ST c drive, compared to the previous default “DRW-24F1ST c 1.0” and CL08/CL09/CL99 firmwares I tried on this drive).

In terms of overall performance, the PX891SAF 1.V6 firmware seems to be considerably inferior to the PX891SAF 1.00 firmware, when crossflashed to my ASUS DRW-24F1ST c drive with a September 2015 manufacturing date. (This is only for reading a lot of dvd movie discs).

[QUOTE=jadburner;2771938]I checked a recently purchased backup PX-891SAF, and it has the newer firmware. The date on both of my drives is August 2015. A copy of the newer firmware can be found here, but someone needs to check it first.[/QUOTE]

If both of these genuine PX-891SAF drives are manufactured in the same month (August 2015) with different firmwares (1.00 and 1.V6), then I wonder whether these two drives might possibly have slight differences in the hardware corresponding to the different firmwares.

The direct analogy I’m thinking of, is whether there are hardware differences between the CL98/CL99 and CL05/CL06/CL07/CL08/CL09 firmwares of the LiteOn iHAS124 F series drives. The LiteOn Smartpack firmware upgrade program is strictly enforcing this division between the CL9* and CL0* firmwares.

jcroy - Is the overheating issue only when ripping? Have you checked to see if it occurs when you burn?

[QUOTE=jadburner;2772115]jcroy - Is the overheating issue only when ripping?[/QUOTE]

So far I have only observed this overheating for ripping, on my ASUS DRW-24F1ST c drive crossflashed to the PX891SAF 1.V6 firmware.

I don’t know if this happens on a genuine Plextor PX891SAF drive with an original default 1.V6 firmware.

[QUOTE=jadburner;2772115]
Have you checked to see if it occurs when you burn?[/QUOTE]

So far I haven’t. Currently I don’t have any blank dvd/cd discs.

[QUOTE=jcroy;2771879]This looks like a tool for SSD drives. When I ran it, it didn’t say anything about dvdr drives.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking on that!

Sorry to get anyone’s hopes up :doh:

[QUOTE=jcroy;2771960]
In terms of overall performance, the PX891SAF 1.V6 firmware seems to be considerably inferior to the PX891SAF 1.00 firmware, when crossflashed to my ASUS DRW-24F1ST c drive with a September 2015 manufacturing date. (This is only for reading a lot of dvd movie discs).[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. I wonder if the 1.V6 firmware displays inferior performance because the ASUS DRW-24F1ST Sept. drive is possibly with hardware that might correspond to the 1.00 = CL05/CL06/CL07/CL08/CL09 firmware?

That being said, I am currently using a Plextor 891SAW drive with firmware 1.02 for DVD backups, and wow does that drive get hot. The drive is in an external enclosure with a fan. After about the 3rd disc, each DVD comes out pretty hot after extraction.

[QUOTE=SpotOn;2772294]
Very interesting. I wonder if the 1.V6 firmware displays inferior performance because the ASUS DRW-24F1ST Sept. drive is possibly with hardware that might correspond to the 1.00 = CL05/CL06/CL07/CL08/CL09 firmware?[/QUOTE]

This is what I am strongly suspecting.

Recently I tried the CL09 and CL99 firmwares on my DRW-24F1ST c drive, and noticed similar excess heat issues with the CL99 firmware.

In contrast, my genuine iHAS124 F with a May 2015 manufacturing date (updated to CL09, but was originally a CL06 factory default) and another iHAS124 F with an October 2015 manufacturing date (CL98 factory default), did not have any obvious excess heat issues.

[QUOTE=SpotOn;2772294]
That being said, I am currently using a Plextor 891SAW drive with firmware 1.02 for DVD backups, and wow does that drive get hot. The drive is in an external enclosure with a fan. After about the 3rd disc, each DVD comes out pretty hot after extraction.[/QUOTE]

These days I don’t even bother using external enclosures anymore. I just use some longer sata cables and connect directly to the motherboard, with the actual dvd drive sitting on the table next to the computer. (The computer enclosure is open up wide). I keep a medium sized fan blowing directly on the dvd drive on the table.

I flashed the PX891SAF 1.00 firmware to my iHAS124 F drive with a May 2015 manufacturing date. (This drive was originally a CL06 factory default firmware).

I wanted to see whether there were any excess heat problems. So I ripped over a dozen dvd movie discs, with the same setup (ie. dvd drive outside of the computer’s enclosure with a fan blowing directly on the dvd drive).

There were no excess heat issues, after ripping over a dozen dvd discs consecutively. The drive and discs felt cool/neutral to the touch throughout the ripping session.

Ripped some more dvd discs on the iHAS124 F drive (with a May 2015 manufacturing date), crossflashed to the PX891SAF 1.00 firmware. The same as in the previous post.

This time around, I searched for more than a dozen single-layer dvd5 discs to rip. At full speed these single-layer dvd discs are ripping at 16x which produces more heat, than double-layer dvd9 discs ripping at 12x speed.

(Same computer setup with a fan blowing directly on the dvd drive outside of the computer’s enclosure).

After ripping more than a dozen single-layer dvd5 discs, the top of the dvd drive was still cool/neutral to the touch. After the single-layer dvd discs were finished ripping and ejected from the drive, these discs felt neutral to the touch (ie. not warm, but not cool either).

Although some of you may already know, I thought I’d mention here that there is another firmware for the PX-891SAF, evidently prior to 1.V6. It’s revision 1.T2 and was in drives at least by January 2016. It appears in a screen capture in a review of the drive by Disgusted Customer on Amazon.ca.

Another reference to the firmware is in the cdrtfe help forum on SourceForge. In the post the revision is misnamed (1rT2), but in the attached log (log-plextor.txt) it is correct:

Vendor_info : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'DVDR PX-891SAF’
Revision : ‘1.T2’