Plextor PX-870A 22x Internal DVD-RW - Light Scribe

vbimport

Can anyone recommend plextor writers or this writer in general?

My other question is the lightscribe that is seems to have, can you just not use this function?

Nowadays, Plextor sells rebranded drives at an insanely higher price, so if you buy the original you’ll have the same drive at a much lower price :bigsmile:

I don’t know, however, what is the original drive (a liteon maybe?)

[QUOTE=geno888;2572075]Nowadays, Plextor sells rebranded drives at an insanely higher price, so if you buy the original you’ll have the same drive at a much lower price :bigsmile:

I don’t know, however, what is the original drive (a liteon maybe?)[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

I agree with the good man above; this would likely be a LiteOn drive with a Plextor nameplate, so the same drive could be had for cheaper. Most/all of the features it has are features already present in the original drive.

And yes, you can just not use the LightScribe function of the drive and be fine. The drives that can do LightScribe (or LabelFlash or LabelTag or whatever) usually have counterparts that drop the feature, though, and those drives are of otherwise equal quality…so you might be able to buy a drive without some of the extra features to save a little money. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t actually mind the lightscribe or label flash functions as I would prefer that to the sticky labels that can often ruin playback months later.

I wonder if those functions work on older operating systems like 98, and do they work with the installed software only that comes with the drive, and of course I suppose we need to purchase certain blank discs.

I overburned 157:48 time length by mistake recently, and I am hoping I haven’t caused any damage to the drive, this was caused by using Burrrn software to burn a flac file with a cue file, is stopped at 694 out of 1584, but I think the end was mostly silence.

My old Marantz is having problems searching intermittent on burned audio CD’s, and I thought that was the cause, but my previous writer which was an LG had the same problems when I burned audio discs, so I presume it is my Marantz that can’t cope with the new writers and how they burn data.

You will need Windows XP and above to even use many normal DVD burning programs that support the advanced label-scribing features of these newer drives, and possibly some other features of the drives. I would imagine a machine capable of running Windows 98 just would not be happy with trying to burn discs are extremely high speeds with little hassel.

Speaking of disc authoring programs, there aren’t many that support the features, so you may be stuck with what the drive comes with unless you buy a new burning ‘suite’ (as they are called these days :doh:). But what comes with the drive is usually pretty acceptable, at the least.

Now, special discs are indeed required; LabelFlash and LightScribe discs have a special top side dye that the drive can use as its medium to produce the label. LightScribe discs aren’t supported by LabelFlash, and LabelFlash discs aren’t supported by LightScribe. Personally, I think these techniques, while they take some time, are a bit nicer than making labels or just using a permanent marker to label discs, but I have rarely actually done it due to the time required for a decent label to be written.

And some CD players just do not like burned CDs. Sometimes you can find a perfect media & burner combination to suit the playback hardware you have, though. Even then, it may be hit or miss, unfortunately.

Thanks, the strange thing is the Marantz CD player plays my older burned discs no problems, but my Traxdata CD stand alone recorder wont recognise any burned with the newer writers.

Do you think I may be ok with the writer even though I overburned quite a bit?

I must say however that my old Sony stand alone CD player plays them all fine, and that is about as old as the Marantz, but I think the Sony has a better search mechanism.

[QUOTE=cherrybox;2572145]Thanks, the strange thing is the Marantz CD player plays my older burned discs no problems, but my Traxdata CD stand alone recorder wont recognise any burned with the newer writers.[/QUOTE]Have you changed media, too? It is entirely believable that the newer drives are simply not up to snuff, though. Stranger things have happened.

Do you think I may be ok with the writer even though I overburned quite a bit?
For this I refer back to your other thread. :slight_smile:

I must say however that my old Sony stand alone CD player plays them all fine, and that is about as old as the Marantz, but I think the Sony has a better search mechanism.
That’s quite possible. It could just plain be that it can read the discs better, too. The same thing happened with standalone DVD players; when people began burning their own DVDs, some people had success, while others (myself included) found it tough to burn discs that the players would (easily) read. Even some older DVD-ROM drives in computers struggled with burned discs, while others soared through them at full speed.

Philips CD-R x52 CMC 97m26s66f Made in Tajwan
Plextor PX-870A fw.1.08
ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 x24