Plextor PX-850SA

I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts of this drive were. So far I’ve been getting pretty good luck with it. The original one I bought got noisy, and I had them replace it under warranty which was fine.

So far so good with my current one. (knock on wood haha).

If anyone has comments about this particular drive, please go ahead and post them in here. Thanks!

How was their customer service when you called? I’m about to purchase a pxq840u and I don’t want to get stuck with a drive that they don’t want to support incase I need help.

A friend of mine has a px610u? I think. I’ll ask him if he’s called before.

[QUOTE=Baoser;2270925]I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts of this drive were. So far I’ve been getting pretty good luck with it. The original one I bought got noisy, and I had them replace it under warranty which was fine.

So far so good with my current one. (knock on wood haha).

If anyone has comments about this particular drive, please go ahead and post them in here. Thanks![/QUOTE]

It’s basically a more expensive LiteOn iHAS322 with the Plextor name slapped on it, running on modified firmware. Knowledgeable folks don’t spend for the extra $20 or so and just get the LiteOn equivalent. (See this link.)

IMHO it’s a decent drive, but not a drive that is exceptional in any way.

[QUOTE=nocluebro;2270932]How was their customer service when you called? I’m about to purchase a pxq840u and I don’t want to get stuck with a drive that they don’t want to support incase I need help.

A friend of mine has a px610u? I think. I’ll ask him if he’s called before.[/QUOTE]

I had a good experience with customer service. They were kind, and just had me try some things before giving me warranty service.

[QUOTE=evo69;2271005]It’s basically a more expensive LiteOn iHAS322 with the Plextor name slapped on it, running on modified firmware. Knowledgeable folks don’t spend for the extra $20 or so and just get the LiteOn equivalent. (See this link.)

IMHO it’s a decent drive, but not a drive that is exceptional in any way.[/QUOTE]

Really? Where’d you hear this? that’s the first time I heard it. :confused: they’re still good drives right? gotta be better than hp, right? :Z

shoot, what isn’t rebadged these days

It’s true.

Plextor has stopped designing their own drives in late 2006 and since then all designs that have been brought to the marked have been rebadged hardware. The last original designs were the “PX-760SA” and the “Premium2” released in Mai/April 2006.

In the case of the PX-850 the main difference that Plextor adds is that it comes with PlexUtilities. With the corresponding Liteon drive you’d have to resort to freeware / community-style software for the same functions. In the last couple of months PlexUtilities has seen more updates than, for example, Discspeed.

So the plextor drives offer plextutilities and liteon doesn’t? Shoot, doesn’t that make it better then? Are they actually produced by liteon, because it sounds like they share designs but not the actual components. (I’ve been reading up of tomhardwares, just found that site).

Yup, but they’re almost similar in functionality. I think they even share the same codebase, to an extent.

Nope. The plextor-made utility does look a little cooler though. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=nocluebro;2272839]Are they actually produced by liteon, because it sounds like they share designs but not the actual components.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you could get a LiteOn faceplate and swap it with corresponding Plextor unit - you wouldn’t know the difference except that the firmware identifies the drive as a Plextor.

FYI, HP also sells rebadged drives - and I could definitely say that Plextor and HP are in the same boat now. :sad:

Baoser, I use my PX-850 to burn XBOX games daily! My only gripe is that you can’t set the booktype for whatever odd reason so in order to burn my Wii backups (since they have to be DVD-ROM) I use my Lite-On! I heard that they will add this in a future firmware but I’ve yet to see it happen. My question is, why the hell, if Lite-On designed the PX-850, would they leave out a common feature like bitsetting!?, Isn’t flexibility something that Lite-On is known for?

BA:rolleyes:

I purchased & installed an Plextor 850SA DVDR
Sound Forge Cant find it Cubase cant find it
I work extensively with these programs
Using an HP a6037c computer
Debated about Replacing my DVDR with Hp
I was informed that Plextor was a better drive?

Now you know why I chose my login name.