Plextor PX 760A DVD Burn WOES

I am a new guy to the Club CD community.

After working on putting my vintage vinyl records onto CDs for several years, it is now time to put our 160+ hours of VHS home movies on DVD.

The first thing that I did was to buy an OPPO DVD player. Great piece of equipment. It plays any CD and DVD disks that I have

Then, I upgraded my PC as explained below.

Now I have encountered a problem while trying to burn a DVD with an MPG file created by an older version of Pinnacle Video Editing software, (Studio Version 7).

On Wednesday 7/19 I sent the following to Plextor Tech Support.

I have not yet heard back from them as of today, Friday 7/21.

I am losing faith in a response from Plextor.

I am hoping that this forum will help me get to a solution.

I do have a work around, but I would like to be able to burn DVD mpg files directly from the 250GB Seagate HD without having to move it to the 80GB HD first.

BACKGROUND:

Yesterday, an experienced Tech installed 1 GIG memory, a Seagate 250 GB HD and a Plextor PX 760A in my PC to upgrade it for video editing and DVD home movie making.

ISSUE: PC Hangs when burning a DVD with any MPG or AVI file located on the secondary Seagate 250GB HD. Note: DVD has an empty file on it after rebooting the PC after the hanging DVD burn session.

What I know…

Happens with both Roxio & Plextor DVD burn software.

Does NOT happen if I move the MPG or AVI files from the 250GH HD
to the Local 80 GB HD and then burn the DVD.

Does NOT happen when burning .pdf or .xls type files located on the 250 GB HD.

It ONLY happens when burning MGP & AVI files located on the 250 GB HD

Strange…

[Quote=]ISSUE: PC Hangs when burning a DVD with any MPG or AVI file located on the secondary Seagate 250GB HD. Note: DVD has an empty file on it after rebooting the PC after the hanging DVD burn session.

What I know…

Happens with both Roxio & Plextor DVD burn software.

Does NOT happen if I move the MPG or AVI files from the 250GH HD
to the Local 80 GB HD and then burn the DVD.

Does NOT happen when burning .pdf or .xls type files located on the 250 GB HD.

It ONLY happens when burning MGP & AVI files located on the 250 GB HD

Strange… [/Quote]
Strange Very Strange… Indeed :confused: I don’t think the problem is with your Plextor Drive :disagree: ! Sound more like a problem with XP or the program you are using to do your burning :iagree:

The drive doesn’t care where the files reside. That is up to the app and the system. It’s not a Plextor issue.

Well, what hangs on which ide channel? Is the Plextor the only device, and is it set as master? Do you have another burning software in you system? Is it the current version of Roxio? If you include an environment variable DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES with the value “1” and turn on “Show non-present devices” in your hardware manager, are there any weird devices? Have you updated the ide drivers for your mainboard? You have told us only little about your system configuration …

Well, time for an update to my original question…

I updated the BIOS and the speed of read/write on the 250GB HD dramatically increased. NICE.

This appears to have solved the DVD burn of avi files from the 250GB HD issue.

Also, helps reduce the video capture dropped frames issue that I am dealing with. Not all the way, but much better.

Along the way I learned how to…

obtain BIOS updates from Award BIOS (cost $50)…

down load, create a Boot floppy and un-zip the BIOS update to it and ecec the BIOS update…

eliminate a lot of apps that were in the start up routine which I do not use often and which and really speeded up the start up process…

how to disable the internet and Norton anti virus apps when doing video capture & editing…

that Pinnacle says that the speed of the hard drives are…
80GB read 26,133 kbytes/sec – write 25,337 kbytes/sec – Max safe 22,803 kbytes/sec
250GB read 66,710 kbytes/sec – write 66,165 kbytes/sec – Max safe 59,548 kbytes/sec

Not too old to learn…

One unusual thing, I see a message during the boot up process that says something like:

Fast Track disk something or other…

No array is defined.

I guess that I will be calling the BIOS upgrade support folks to get a line on that one.

Other than that, it is getting better.

Thanks for your support and ideas,

Ken

Do you want to know a secret??? BIOS updates are [B]FREE[/B] from your MB web site and they have a step by step tutorial on how to do it or any member at CDFreaks could have told you how to do it for FREE!

That’s normal nothing to worry about !!! :slight_smile: