Plextor PX-755SA TLA numbers

G’day all,

I received 4 Plextor PX-755SAs today and two of them are brand new (confirmed with PXInfo). Does anyone know why all of these units have TLA #AAAA? MFD is December 2005.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Letters seem to mean prototypes or pre-production models.

I’ve also seen #BBBB and #DDDD with other models, making it look like there are possibly several stages of pre-production models. I guess #AAAA would indicate the earliest version of a drive.

Nice find. Might become a collectible :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’m stoked, especially considering that I got each drive for less than US$70 (including shipping to Australia from the USA)!

This means that my Plextor collection is now as follows:

4X PX-716A (including 2 with special copy protection-busting firmware)
3X PX-760A (1X TLA #0001, 2X TLA #0309)
4X PX-755SA (all TLA #AAAA, 2X brand new with 0:0:0 CD, 0:0:0 DVD)

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1930486]
4X PX-755SA (all TLA #AAAA, 2X brand new with [B]0:0:0 CD, 0:0:0 DVD[/B])

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]

What does that mean? Is it the amount of minutes/hours used?

Yup, you get that info from PXInfo.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=CyberPlex;1931711]What does that mean? Is it the amount of minutes/hours used?[/QUOTE]

Yes, read this posting:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1615662-post6.html

Are those 755SAs made in Japan?

Nope. MIC like the rest of them.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1932192]Are those 755SAs made in Japan?[/QUOTE]

My Plextor Premium is MIC, my PX-W2410TA is a MIJ drive and the PX-40TS and PX-W1210TSi also.

I don’t know when exactly Plextor skipped the production in Japan. It must be somewhere between the PX-W2410TA and the Plextor Premium from the timeline.

All my PX-716A, PX-760A and PX-760SA are all MIC and ther Premium II also. They must change the production location between 2001 and 2003

The reason I asked is that I’ve seen some 755SA drives on ebay that had those odd TLAs and they were labeled as “Made in Japan.”

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1932442]The reason I asked is that I’ve seen some 755SA drives on ebay that had those odd TLAs and they were labeled as “Made in Japan.”[/QUOTE]

Interesting!
I did not know that Plextor makes Prototypes in Japan. It is common to make the prototypes at the fab the product will be later produced. Seems Plextor make some things different.

But I guess the most important thing is the drives works great and the user is happy.