Plextor PX-716UF

Hi,

I’m using the 716UF connected to my iMac G5. I used it on my PC before and got burn speeds of 16X. But when connected to my Mac, I can only get burn speeds of 8X. I’m using Roxio Popcorn 1.0.3, and have updated the PX Firmware from the Plextor site to 1.10.

Has anyone been able to get burn speeds of 16X on a Mac with this burner?

Also I haven’t yet tried its Dual Layer capability. Does anyone know what burn speeds I would get with this set up on my Mac?

Thanks!
Moses

How do you connect the drive to your mac? USB is good enough for 16x speed wise, but Firewire only for 12x.

With Verbatim + or - media the 716 will reach its maximum with 6x.

Thanks - I’ connected through Firewire 400. Unfortunately for some reason I can’t seem to connect my 716UF to the Mac through USB - it doesn’t seem to register. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I used the 716UF originally with my PC (now junked) through a firewire connection.You are probably right on the speed being dependent on the type of connection and I may have to live with 8X speed!

Just to conclude this thread - I reconnected with FW and used a different brand of DVD and it’s all working fine and burning at 16X now. Thanks again. Moses

Did you flip the switch on the back when trying to change from F/W to USB?

Yes I did and it still didn’t register.

I’ve been using it for a couple of weeks now but suddenly a few days ago, it didn’t show on my iMac G5 whether connected by FW or USB. Very strange. I wonder if I need to reset preferences or something.

Moses

Hello,
I have a 716UF & I love it…its a great external burner. My IE 1394 cable is too short, it keeps coming loose from the back of the tower. Can someone tell me how many prongs this has, so I don’t have to unplug it and move my tower again? I always either burn at 12 but mostly 16x’s. The original cable that came in the box was a joke 2 feet, so I purchased one thats 3 feet…I need something longer. All I know about this cable is that its a silver looking one and it doesn’t look like a usb…yes I am a newbie when it comes to my burners. thanks for any info. :flower: