Plextor PX-716UF & Red Hat Fedora Core 4 SELinux Compatibility?

vbimport

Hello all! I had some major problems with my new LG GSA-5163D external Double Layer DVD / CD Burner with my Red Hat Fedora Core 4 SELinux OS, so I decided to keep it and use it on my Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP-2 machine. I can not get an RMA for it from NewEgg.Com. So, I don’t want to make the same mistake again and I want to know if any members here use RHFC4 SELinux along with the new Plextor PX-716UF Double Layer DVD / CD burner. I have an older Plextor PX-708UF and it worked just great, but I am wary of buying the newer PX-716UF and running into the same compatibility problems. Please reply if you can help. Thank you!

Does any member here own a Plextor PX-716UF external double layer DVD / CD burner drive? How about running Red Hat Fedora CORE 4 SELinux as well? Do the two work together well? This Plextor drive was my very first choice, but I got sidetracked by the LG GSA-5163D by its low price, versatility, and family, but I always wanted to get the PX-716UF due to the fact that RHFC has always been fully compatible with all Plextor drives I have owned. I am now using the Plextor PX-W824TU and PX-708UF which have no problems whatsoever with both Windows and RHFC. Please reply.

sorry to disappoint you but to find someone that uses that specific plextor and that linux isnt easy especially here when most dont even use linux,try your luck in these forums
http://forums.fedoraforum.org
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php
also you might wanna email plextor and ask em about it or on linux compatbility in general

edit : lol guess you alredy posted on the first forum :doh:

First, thank you for your reply. I registered on LinuxQuestions.Org, which I forgot entirely about so thank you much, and I have been posting threads on Head-Fi.Org, FedoraForum.Org, ClubCD Freaks, and now, LinuxQuestions.Org. I also sent an e-mail message to Plextor USA today so I hope that I will get some sort of official answer within this business week. I won’t make the same mistake that I did with the LG GSA-5163D. However, I have the Plextor PX-4824TU and PX-708UF; both of which Just Work ™. So, I am hoping that the PX-716UF will Just Work ™. I know that it’s a great company that makes great drives that work with RHFC SELinux along with other Linux distributions such as SuSe. Of course, it works perfectly with Windows Home or Professional SP-2.

The Plextor PX-716UF was my first choice to upgrade my aging PX-708UF. I want double layer burning feature so I can cut down the number of discs I use to make backups of my computer data and I would like to make double layer DVD-Video backups when the media becomes available. The 48X CD-R feature gives nothing up to my old as heck PX-4824TU either.

Again, thank you for your reply. The LinuxQuestions.Org tip was valuable to me. Here’s to knocking on wood with the PX-716UF!

you still have the lg right? at least thats what i figured from your posts
it does support double layer

you welcome :slight_smile: