Plextor PX-716UF problems

I got my Plextor PX-716UF burner not too long ago.

At first, I was very pleased with it. It was able to backup DVD movies from Shrink in about 5-10 min. It was also able to burn/verify a burnt DVD from Nero in about 10-15min (using Memorex DVD-R 8x media).

Now, it seems to have seriously degraded in performance. It now takes around 20-25 minutes to backup DVD movies of comporable size (where it used to take 5-10 min). It is also taking 30-40min to burn a DVD from Nero (using the same media).

Also, the burning part seems to be leading in with an unusual long lead-in time. Also, it will sometimes take too long and time out (with Nero informing that the DVD device failed). When it does burn, it can do it at a resonable amount of time, but when it switches to verification, it crawls along at 1x (and sometimes even slower).

At the point, I am wondering why I even bought this piece of junk. It is now performing at the level equivalent to my 2x bunrer, which has no problem at all burning/reading. :frowning:

Any ideas? I have not changed any software/hardware between the time that the drive was perfoming well and now. The media has also been the same.

The drive itself is hooked up to my Toshiba Satelite P25 S607 (which is only upgraded with 1G RAM, otherwise stock) using USB.

Well, it looks like the drive is officially a DUD!! :frowning: It can’t even read DVDs anymore (whereas my 2x Burner can read them just fine).

I’ve been reading alot of other complaints on this drive… has Plextor just decided to throw quality out the window?

Check to make sure DMA mode is set to “On”.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you refering to the Enable DMA option available through PlexTools?

Just some more info…

I tried the SELF TEST using the Verabtim 16x disk that came with the drive(as documented in the user manual). After about 15min, I did not get any kind of indication that the test was successful (the disk did not auto-eject as the manual stated it would on success of the test).

Also, in PlexTools, the title of the DVD (the DVD that was mentioned as not being readable in my previous post) in the player looks fine. I tried the CD/DVD test tool and started getting errors a few seconds into the scan.

That won’t help since he’s using the PX-716UF, meaning the external USB drive.

I tried the CD/DVD test tool and started getting errors a few seconds into the scan.
What where the error messages you got?

It seems to me that there is a problem with the USB interface. Has it perhaps been degraded to USB 1.1 instead of 2.0? Can you try your drive via FireWire? Or perhaps on another computer with USB 2.0 support?

Let us know what you find out!