Plextor PX-716A: Suddenly Ripping Slowly

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Plextor PX-716A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’m in the process of backing up some of my DVDs and suddenly the ripping process (which was taking 6-10 mins or so) is taking over an hour. The drive read speed is going up and down, from 0x all the way to about 20x. When it hits 0x, it stays there for about 2 minutes before it speeds up again.

Nothing has changed, no new programs installed etc. I have double checked that the drive is in DMA. I’m at a bit of a loss! :doh:

Sounds for me the disk could be scratched and the drive error correction tries toread the disk.
It may be also possible that the laser lens is dirty and need to be cleaned. If you have this problemwith all DVDs you tried it sounds like a dirty laser lens. Your 716 is old for this reason it could be the problem…

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The ripping speed is also influenced by the disc status. A heavily scratched or dirty disc is ripped with more difficulty than a clean or a brand new one.

Are you sure that the drive is really in DMA? some people confuse the chosen option (DMA if available) with the current transfer mode (see the picture) :flower:

Thanks for the replies!

The dirty lens though had occurred to me, but I dismissed it because the problem was so drastic and so sudden. I think I will disassemble the drive later and clean it anyhow, just in case.

As for the DMA option, no, I am not certain it actually [B][I]IS[/I][/B] in DMA. The “Transfer Mode” box says “DMA if available”, but the current mode indicated “Unavailable” or something to that effect.

I’m at work, so I can’t check atm. When I have more info I’ll post again.

[QUOTE=Robdog007;2114342]As for the DMA option, no, I am not certain it actually [B][I]IS[/I][/B] in DMA. The “Transfer Mode” box says “DMA if available”, but the current mode indicated “Unavailable” or something to that effect.[/QUOTE]
Be sure to check all Primary & Secondary IDE channels, and then be sure to check both device 0 and device 1 under each channel.

By “check” do you mean make sure the combo box has “DMA if available” selected?

I meant ensure that you haven’t accidentally overlooked the Plextor; “Not Applicable” is for when a device isn’t connected in that Device 0/Device 1 position.

For each channel, there will be a Device 0, and a Device 1. Your Plextor, depending on how it’s connected, could be as any of these. Process of elimination will show you where your drive is/is not connected. If you happen to find anything where something is currently in PIO mode, with “DMA if available” selected, then uninstall that channel and restart your computer so everything is redetected.

I already did something similar. Under the device manager, I found the nvidia IDE controller and uninstalled it, rebooted, and let windows install it’s own drivers.