Plextor PX-712SA vs PX712A?

vbimport

Is the Plextor PX-712SA worth the extra money over the PX712A? Its not too much difference in price, but will the SATA interface actually make it faster?

Yes…in terms of pure speed, SATA is faster than UltraATA. In terms of real life, I’m not sure you’ll notice the difference to be honest…You may at higher burning speeds, especially if both the HD and DVD-Burner are both SATA.

You will not see any real-life difference in performance between the PX-712A and PX-712SA. The 12X max burn speed of DVD+R translates to 16.5MB/sec throughput, and 16X max DVD read is ~22MB/sec. Both figures are well short of the max 33MB/sec speed of IDE at Ultra DMA mode 2 supported by PX-712A and the max 150MB/sec speed of SATA supported by PX-712SA, so any effective speed difference would be miniscule, if even measurable.

In other words, both drives have interfaces that are more than fast enough to support the top read and write speeds.

Scan is correct. Both interfaces are faster than the drive. Putting any device on a faster bus will not make the device work faster, only remove any bottleneck caused by a slower interface (i.e., USB1.1 vs 2.0)

The SA has the advantage of a 1 meter cable length vs 18 in of IDE, smaller cables so easier to route and provides better airflow, and connections are point to point (1 interface connection goes to 1 drive) so you don’t have to worry about master/slave conflicts or setup issues with cable routing.

I think not. S-ATA does not need to cost more than P-ATA even during an early adoption period, but there is not much choice left.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20040612/ni_i_dd.html

Plextor PX-712SA/JP in Japan for 22,980 Yen at PC-Success. This is just a little more than the price of HLDS GSA-4120B there.

http://plextor.jp/product/px712sa

I have always liked those S-ATA cables. :iagree:

Also the drive looks even sexier.

Right now, SATA opticals are trouble. Read the thread linked in my sig on the 52A8S burner. The drive itself may work well enough, but software and drivers will have issues of one kind or another. Unless you will be running the drive on an Intel mainboard chipset SATA controller, I recommend you stay away from the SATA burner.

The only real advantage to SATA for burners is the fact that the port is not shared, so you will have none of the IDE type issues with data transfers. Also, SATA power and data cables are very unstable and unplug or break easily.

there are secure cables for sata they just costa couple bucks

i know the default ones look and feel like they will fall out but in building/configuring a dozen or so machines with sata i’ve yet to actually have one fall out :slight_smile:

Well I’m in Canada, and the price difference at a local store is $26 CDN, which isn’t a whole lot.

http://www.infonec.com/multi.htm

I’ve even used S-ATA for RAID stripe volumes. S-ATA’s stable enough for common tasks. Even SCSI’s not yet completely stable. Linux often does not support RAID cards very well.

That Intel’s S-ATA supports S-ATA optical drives seems good enough to me because most people who are going to buy new systems in the coming two to three years at least are going to use Intel S-ATA, prebuilt on the motherboard.

All optical drives I have are either P-ATA 40-pin or SCSI 50-pin. The cables are extremely annoying. 1-meter S-ATA cables cost just 4,000 Won each which is at least two times cheaper than the cheapest 40cm P-ATA 40-pin/80-connector UDMA/66 cables when they first hit retail.

PX-712SA costs about 400,000 Won in South Korea while LG’s GSA-4120B price is 180,000 Won. Here, PX-712SA is simply ignored. That’s all. But S-ATA has a good start in Japan. I paid nearly 400,000 Won for my PX-708A last year, bought in Seoul.

Hi Ya

i have been waiting for this drive for a long time. Cant find in U.K yet ( some one correct me ?) but i guess it wont be long.

Would be interesting to see how it performs on the Nvida Nforce 3 250Gb chipset as that provides 4 SATA ports off the South Bridge. from what i have seen so far the MSI Neo 8KN mother board seems to be the best SATA implementation of the 250gb chipset so far. I would expect this to change quickly however as we go into July.

any comments ?

Regards

mark