Plextor PX-712A

vbimport

Hi another Newbie here,

I’m having problems with my Plextor PX-712A, it seems to burn / recognize DVD-R OK, but it does not seem to recognize any blank CD-R :confused:, so I can not burn CD’S, any tips or test I can do on this Rom drive?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Because of there are two separate lasers for CD and DVD, it seems that your drive has a damaged CD laser. Is the drive able to read pressed CDs? The best test can be done trying to boot the computer from a CD (for example a Linux live distribution): if you can boot from the CD, then there is something wrong in your operative system (maybe a faulty driver).

[quote=geno888;2048717]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Because of there are two separate lasers for CD and DVD, it seems that your drive has a damaged CD laser. Is the drive able to read pressed CDs? The best test can be done trying to boot the computer from a CD (for example a Linux live distribution): if you can boot from the CD, then there is something wrong in your operative system (maybe a faulty driver).[/quote]

Thank you for your welcome, and your advice I have just put a standard music CD in to play, and a msg comes up:

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.:confused:

It sounds like a damaged drive then :frowning:

Yes it does…any recommendations for a new one / dual layer etc, I’ve had this plextor since 2004, so it’s served it’s purpose I suppose.:clap:

If you are interested in burning for the most DL discs, then maybe a Pioneer is a good choice. Based on what I read in the forum Pioneer drives have an excellent writing quality on DL discs (mostly if you use Verbatim :bigsmile:)