vbimport

Hi All,
I’m new to buying DVD RW and ive made my decision down to these 2 drives:

NEC ND-2510A 8X DVD+/-R Dual Layer == $120
Plextor PX-712A DVD±RW == $175 with mail-in rebate

I will primarily be using it for:

1. DVD-/+ R for data backup
  2. CD-R for audio CDs (mp3 or wav)
  3. DVD ripping/copying (for games and movies)

Is the $55 price difference worth it to go with Plextor (which ive read is the King of the hill?)

plextors are overpriced, can’t bitset, and I’ve read can be picky with media.
the nec is well supported in the forums here with tweaked firmwares (which void warranty tho), can bitset (Again with tweaked firmware), can do DL if u need it, and is so cheap.

I’d go for the Plextor, it has On-Site Collect & Return Service where I live and is an excellent ripper for both audio and data which you cannot say about the NEC drive. The burning quality is excellent and I’ve never experienced any quirks with media, but then again, I don’t go for POS media. DL isn’t that great yet (compatibility issues) and the media is so expensive that you wont buy any DL discs anyway.
//Danne

What compatibilities and how do you know they will be so expensive to stop buying? If you meant the US$10 per disk price, they are just sample prices even if they are released to retail. Mass production will bring the unit price to US$2 and the to US$1. Even at this time, people from New Zealand and Australia are reporting buying prices like US$6 and it’s only been weeks. Compatibility problems existed even for CD-ROM but that was before the appearances of players and drives for CD-ROM. DVD+R DL compatibility right now is much better than CD-RW at the first release and DVD-RAM at the first release. Many of my drives and players can read DVD+R DL without any hardware or firmware modification.

If you meant DL is not for now, the same must be true of Plextor service. Both ways, you pay first and are paid back sometime very indefinite in the future.

@SL-Crippin

Buy Plextor if you don’t have any other thing to spend the extra $55. With less than $55, you can probably easily have a Lite-On/LG/Samsung DVD/CD combo drive with features of 52x CD-R write, 32x CD-RW write, 52x CD-ROM read, and 16x DVD-ROM read. I got one last week for about US$40.

As my second drive I’ll be using my LG 52x CD-ROM read. I have to remove my Sony 24x CD-R write, 10x CD-RW RW, 40X CD-ROM read. Or do you think it should be the other way around?

one of my other concerns, as some of you covered, is the CD-R and DVD+R compatibility of the Plextor drives. CD-Rs i usually use are Sony/Verbatim/Maxell and for DVD +/- R, i have no clue what I’ll use. Ritek or any other suggestions? Is there anywhere i can find media compatibility with DVD +/-R drives?

I bu media from here – http://canadacomputers.com/media.html

@ Kenshin
Sheesh, just look at compatibility reports many dvd-players have issues for instance. Regarding the price and mass production and I’m not sure where you’re looking, many manufacturers have severe quality issues producing decent 8x DVD+/-R’s and you think that DVD+R DL production will go that snaps fingers fast without any problems? Looking at Komplett’s website (http://www.komplett.com/) you’ll get a 5-pack Verbatim 2.4X DL for only 895SEK (120USD), hell yeah, a bargin right?

I’m also not sure if you’re aware of that he wanted one optical unit not two.
Also feel free to show me evidence where NEC excels Plextor at ripping (both audio and data). Regarding optical drives in general I’d recommend you to stick to LiteOn (not their DVD-recorders), NEC (Decent DVD-recorders but not good a ripping), Plextor (Good overall, you get what you pay for). LG and Samsung are plain POS compared to the manufacturers above mentioned.

@ SL-Crippin
CD-R and DVD+R is fine with both drives as long as you stay away from Princo, SmartBuy, LeadData and other low-quality brands. It’s not that they wont work but the final production might not meet your expectations.

I’ve used Maxell, TY, Ritek along with other brands fine (both -R and +R that is) without any issues (PX-708a).
//Danne

Personally I prefer the NEC 2500/2510. Why? Because it can do bitsetting, has no problems with most media (even quite some crappy discs run fine on this drive), it’s very well supported here at CDFreaks with alternative firmwares and it can do DL media (2500 needs a firmware mod for that).

DL media is still very expensive now, but I think that around xmas it will be totally different. The media will be more expensive than regular DVDR media is right now, but it will most likely be very well affordable.

The Plextor is a great drive as well and somewhat a better allrounder (considering DiZzy’s arguments), but it’ll never do bitsetting or DL media. For that I find the Plextor less future proof than the NEC is, despite of it’s pure reading qualities.

PS I moved this thread down to the Burning hardware forum, as it fits better in there!

Isn’t bitsetting a bit overrated?
The only thing I’m aware of that might a hassle without bitsetting is an modded Xbox (depeding on dvd-drive), other than that you’ll most likely be fine.
//Danne

Ok, newbie question here, but what is bitsetting? AND, will it affect any games i burn for a modded PS2?

Thanks for all the info up there…it looks like im going to go Plextor so far…

Ok i just read about bitsetting, good article here - http://www.bobhudson.com/bitsetting/

Now my main concern is whether my PS2 or DVD player will be able to read the DVDs i make? Is there a preferred format or is purely speculative again?

By Googling for a while I’ve concluded that DVD-R is more compatible than +R on a PS2 and about any DVD-player will play +R/-R discs even without the DVD-ROM booktype.
//Danne

@DiiZzY

Perhapsy you’d better spend time reading others than submiting your subjective views without much balance.

Honestly, CDFreaks forum has deteriorated. I’m tired of all these brand bashing and fanaticism.

@ Kenshin
Once again, prove me wrong instead of coming with some lame excuse.

@ All
Okay, bad phrasing in the last post lets put it this way instead.
By googling and reading a handful of posts in different forums DVD-R media seems to be more compatible than +R in a PS2.
//Danne

I’m not at CDFreaks to spend time to try to “prove” anybody wrong. Can’t you get it and you have to say that to a tired man?

What do you think is necessary to tell someone who says thus?

LG and Samsung are plain POS compared to the manufacturers above mentioned.

Enough is enough. Too many people here are fanatics. There’s no serious need to prove you wrong because enough number of people know DL disks are played in quite many players and drivse even at the first commercial release and the combo drives from LG and Samsung are good enough to make every Japanese competitor almost out of business, at least in the mass market for ODD.

@Dee-ehn

Why move this thread now after all of that? There have been too many threads there related to optical drives.

So this is all about Japan/Taiwan vs Korea?
To be honest I don’t give a crap where a company originated as long as their products performs well. Samsung and LG are two companies that aren’t on top and they probably never will due to their market strategy, you can get better drives from other manufacturers at the same prince so why you as a customer would go for LG in stead of LiteOn for instance? For the greater goood of Korea?
//Danne

Since I have just resigned, this is my post here as a non-moderator member. Therefore, I’ll be more straightforward and to the point from now one.

No, most of the world citizens won’t care much even if South Korea disappears on the world map today. I won’t care at least as long as the rest of the world stays the same as before.

It’s not Japan/Taiwan vs. Korea, but rather more like Japan vs. Taiwan/China/South Korea. LG and Samsung are not expensive. Actually, their prices are usually at the same level as Taiwan and China. Why buy products from LG and Samsung if there are better products at lower prices? If you don’t, others won’t do either. That you can’t buy Samsung and LG doesn’t mean they are necessarily more expensive than Lite-On in the world market.

I buy Lite-On drives only because they are imported and sold at lower prices than Samsung and LG in Seoul. Otherwise, I’d buy only LG. Of course, that’s again when the prices are about equal among LG, Samsung, and Lite-On and other imported drives from Sony, NEC, Toshiba, Plextor, etc. are much higher. That’s only about South Korean market.

In the United States and Japan, things are a bit different. Ricoh and Pioneer drives were very cheap in Japan for long. Panasonic and Plextor were also cheap. NEC and LG drives were also cheaper than in the US market. When most products are so cheap in a country where most citizens earn a lot, a few dollars of price difference doesn’t affect market share much. That’s why Lite-On, BenQ, and other Taiwanese makers couldn’t penetrate the Japanese market successfully for years. Why buy Lite-On when you can buy Plextor and Pioneer for about the same price?

That Samsung and LG are not top, is just a reflection of your narrow views. They do produce some of the world’s highest-quality products often and that sometimes include ODD products both to retail and OEM. These things change more rapidly in East Asia especially among the Greater China, Japan, and South Korea because all three fundamentally rely on IT growth for survival though the degrees are more severe for the two smaller economies than Japan. That’s where Samsung has risen above Sony in the recent four years whether you like Samsung or not. If you think I’'m saying this because I live in South Korea, again you are wrong. Such things are also reported in the UK and US news media as well as some Asian sources on ecomonomic forecasts and IT trends. US investors own probably half of Samsung by now. Less than 50% of Samsung Electronics is owned by South Koreans.

And I have to thank you personally as you made me resign after all. Though there were enough other reasons for me to do so for a long time, you made it much easier for me. :slight_smile:

I said what has been on my mind for long in the other post above. CDFreaks forums, at least this Recording Hardware forums, have deteriorated as far as I am concerned. I came to CDFreaks in the first place because other sites such as DVDplusrw.org and DVDRHelp were hardly moderated, always full of personal attacks and pointless arguments.

www.Memorylabs.com has the 712a for 153.00

www.nt-micro.com has the ND-2510A for 85.00

plextors last along time compared to other drives I think I owned a couple cd-r drives and copied 3000+ and never had a problem you can use the cheapest media and the burns are good. NOt having a DVD burner from plextor I can’t say if this is still the case. I thought I would try out the lite-on dvd burners. I bought a 851 a few months back and bought a 812 about a week ago. Lite-ons don’t like cheap media. So u buy a lite-on that is the cheapest dvd burner out there and you have to buy media that cost $, so you get good burns. I also had a Sony 500a dvd burner that liked cheap media it played the cheapest media I could find. the media I put in there worked on my xbox, home dvd player and then the drive stopped working I bought it when it came out for around $250. I made about 350 movies & 130 Xbox with it befor it Died around (600 dvd r’s) I think if you bought a plextor you would be happy, they also have great tech support. I still plan on buying a plextor when a 4 or 8x DL comes out. Plextor is the best in my eyes and yes they cost more but they last longer. hope this helps fnice

What cheap media work well with Plextor PX-712A that don’t work well with ND-2510A?