Plextor PX-712A DVD±RW or Lite-ON SOHW-812S

vbimport

Arghh. :a :a I can’t choose between the two drives. the Plextor has a lot of good stuff in it but the Lite-on is cheaper and probably can do that same basic stuff. All i want to do is backup PS2 games, Pc games, burn dvd videos, burn several audio cds, etc. Can any one help me?

PS. I would get the Plextor if anyone can find a store in Canada and the price is under $280.

Well what can we say, Plextor is King of the Hill really, however Lite-ON make drives, as you point out, cheaply that do 95-99% of what the Plextor does. Also you can probably get an 832S (for less than the 712) which’ll of course burn Dual Layer discs as well as all the other stuff you want it to write.

Personally I always used to buy Plextor, then they started charging too much for their products so I stopped, and now I always buy Lite-ON and NEC, they’re well supported, well hacked and they do what they say on the tin. If they go wrong outside of warranty there’s no great financial loss, simply chuck it and buy a new one…and it’s mainly for this last reason that I buy the more cost efficient drives…

Get both NEC and Lite-On, or LG and NEC instead of one Plextor. :slight_smile:

Well this Plextor is a very nice drive as well all know, but indeed not that cheap. On the other hand, the LiteOn is cheaper, but doesn’t offer such good media compatibility and writing quality on cheap media as the Plextor drive does.

The LiteOn isn’t a bad choice, but it can’t beat the Plextor when it comes to writing quality (the most important aspect in my opinion).

I’d still go for a NEC now. Is that something you’d consider?

I’d get an Plextor PX-712, excellent burning quality compared to LG, Lite-On and probably NEC too.
//Danne, PX-708A owner.

Have you seen any review comparing Plextor PX-712A and LG GSA-4120B? How do you know that?

thacks for all the help but i think i’ll get a lite-on 812s or 832S
besides the plextor can’t backup sd 2.9+