Plextor PX-708UF - A nightmare with Memorex 8x DVD+R! Help!

vbimport

I’m having trouble with my Plextor 708UF (same as the A model except it’s external) drive and some new Memorex discs.

Well actually I don’t know what’s wrong. I really hope someone can help me here.

First question. I’ve always used DVD+RW and now I bought a 50-pack of DVD+R 8x discs, the first time I’ve ever burned at that speed (yeah I know, that’s pathetic, but it’s probably because I’ve always used the rewriteable discs). It’s safe to assume that it’s perfectly OK to burn multisession discs with DVD+R discs, right?

Because that’s what I’ve been trying with these new discs, Memorex 8x DVD+R, and so far I’m 0 for 3. I already updated the firmware to the latest (1.10), and Nero to the latest version as well (6.6.0.14 I believe).

The problem is that once I’ve burned data on the discs (with the latest version of Nero), my Plextor drive takes forever to read the discs, and only a few files don’t freeze the computer and the drive. We’re talking about videos here. But the DVD drive on my laptop can read all 3 of the discs and play the videos with no trouble at all, and it’s fast and perfect. Pretty weird. But obviously, that’s just not something I want - they should play in the Plextor drive too.

Also, if I try to continue my multisession compilation, it’s worked once, and the other time Nero said the disc was unwriteable when I tried to refresh the compilation.

I’m clueless, because Memorex seems to be one of the biggest brands out there. I’ve heard some good things and some bad things about them, but for me, Memorex has always been pretty good, and they’re always priced quite reasonably on Amazon.com and Buy.com.

I also noticed that there is no forums here for Memorex and it seems like it’s not popular at all, based on the searches I did on this site. Are they called something else? I’ve heard Memorex discs all come from different countries and are very often very different from one another.

What should I do? Is there something I can do to find out what the problem is? Are these discs pure trash or what?

It sucks cuz I’m broke and I hate to spend money on blank media… I can’t wait for something better to replace DVDs altogether, and I’m not talking about BluRay or HD-DVDs, cuz I bet there will be tons of compatibility problems with those too, once they hit the market.

Any help, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

download DVDINFO PRO or DVD IDENTIFIER to find out the MEDIA CODE on those MEMOREX discs. I’m betting those discs are CMC which is crap which is probably the reason for your problems. Use RECOMMENDED DVD media like FUJI which is manufactured by TAIYO YUDEN (made in japan), VERBATIM which is manufactured by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (MCC), & MAXELL (made in japan). CMC is on the COMPATIBLE list which doesn’t mean the discs will work well with the 708 drive. :wink:

If CMC were crap, what about the rest of Taiwanese media? :slight_smile:

But for someone who has PX-708A/UF to use CMC disks is awkward. I can buy nearly 1,000 TY disks for 8x burning for the price of PX-708A.

What DVD_ADDICT is saying is that Memorex does not manufacture their own media so it’s hard to say what their quality is like without us knowing who actually made the media (you can check this with the link DVD_ADDICT suggested). Anyway, what I find strange is that the discs do play fine in another optical drive. To rule out if the drive is the problem or your system (to which the Plextor is connected), try attaching the PX-708UF to another computer and read the files there. You can try Nero CD-DVD Speed to do a Read Transfer Rate test. It this produces a smooth graph the drive is working as it should. Let us know!

Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen weird behavior with a 708 and Memorex 8x DVD+R media… Friend of mine picked up a spindle with RITEKR03 media code once, would hang his computer if he attempted to burn them with DVD Decrypter, but not with Nero. Strangely, he later bought some of the same media code that were RiData branded and didn’t have any trouble at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if this were another freak occurance of the same kind… Try just picking up a 5pk of Verbatim or something at your local store, and see how those work.

:cop:

Maybe a can give a clue to ivand67 :wink:

With my Plextor 716, i have only 1 bad burn.

Memorex 8X + R Printable

I did use them at the time for Backups of the Emule. One of the many files was a Movie, wich couldn`t/can be read by any device :eek:

The Plextor itself, my Lite On 167T, a Sony´s reader of a friend, his NEC 3240, etc,etc…
After that, i did never use more 8X Media from Memorex…at least Printables ones…

The DI is CMC MAG.

Conclusion:

Stay away from that stuff ( 8X ).

The 4X Memorex are great, but 8X sucks! The Media is here the problem…:iagree:

I hope did Help…

Mordorr

:cop:

Maybe a can give a clue to ivand67 :wink:

With my Plextor 716, i have only 1 bad burn.

Memorex 8X + R Printable

I did use them at the time for Backups of the Emule. One of the many files was a Movie, wich couldn`t/can be read by any device :eek:

The Plextor itself, my Lite On 167T, a Sony´s reader of a friend, his NEC 3240, etc,etc…
After that, i did never use more 8X Media from Memorex…at least Printables ones…

The ID is CMC MAG.

Conclusion:

Stay away from that stuff ( 8X ).

The 4X Memorex are great, but 8X sucks! The Media is here the problem…:iagree:

I hope did Help…

Mordorr

OK, well the reason why your laptop can read the disc’s is because the drive is newer.

That’s not true asamd. Newer drives are not - per definition - better readers than older drives. If the disc is a standard DVDR disc then the Plextor should read it just fine. Since it wrote the disc there is even more reason why the Plextor shouldn’t have a problem reading it.

OK, well the reason why your laptop can read the disc's is because the drive is newer.

and when thats happen, isnt a good signal… :disagree:

Yes strangly, the Plextor i use record it with no problems, but can read that sector of the DVD… :rolleyes:

Mordorr

I forgot to follow up - well actually I tried, but the night I wanted to answer and thank everyone for their help, the server here was busy.

I ran DVD Identifier and indeed, the Memorex discs were CMC crap!

I went ahead and bought a 50-pack of Verbatim discs from Amazon (they raised the price by $10 ever since I bought them weird), and they work PERFECTLY. They’re from Mitsubishi Chemical, thank God.

Screw Memorex with their CMC discs. It’s ridiculous that they’re one of the highest-selling brands.

Big thanks go out to DVD_ADDICT and G@M3FR3@K, and all the others who replied! This is the only site I’ll ever have to visit for help with blank media and related tech, and that’s a great thing…

Why is it s hard to find the right media. I spoke to Plexor Tech. Supp. they recommend Verbatim, Maxell, TDK, TAIYO. (usa or japan). I went out to CompUSA, Office Depot, Circuit City and Best Buy. NOOO GOOOD. found some verbatim-taiwan or TDK-luxenberg. TECH SUPP. suggested just a few to see what works-TRY BUYING A FEW. any idea what dvd media WORKS…
any help appreciated.
could use uoc code or something to identify discs

Verbatim Taiwan discs ARE recommended.