Plextor PX-708A

vbimport

Now I have the sony dru-500ax .
But I hate this drive so I’m going to sell it and intend to buy this plextor dvd-recorder thuesday.

But I have a question about it.
If you read the specs it sais:

dvd+r write speeds: 8, 4 and 2,4
dvd-r write speeds: 4

Does this mean that you can’t burn dvd-r at 2 speed?

Because if that’s the case I think I wound buy it afterall because I have alot of dvd-r disc here that are certified at 2x?

Could someone enlighten me please

From the press release:

Brussels, July 2003 - Both DVD plus and DVD minus support, and no less than 4.7GB of data burned in less than ten minutes? The new Plextor DVD recorders PX-708A (internal version) and PX-708UF (external version) elevate this superb performance to become the new standard! Both drives write and rewrite at a speed of no less than 8x and 4x with DVD plus, and 4x and 2x with DVD minus respectively. The recorders read DVD-ROMs at 12x. Besides DVDs, CDs can also obviously be used in the drives, and this at a reading and writing speed of 40x and a rewriting speed of 24x.

That is however referring to the max rewrite speed I believe:

“Both drives write and rewrite at a speed of no less than 8x and 4x with DVD plus, and 4x and 2x with DVD minus respectively.”

But they probably just forgot to include 2x DVD-R speed as supported in product page. I noticed however that they only state “wide support” for CD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW media but not DVD-R/RW.

thanx for helping me out:)

Why do you hate your Sony? I have the dru-500a and I love it!

Originally posted by petspeed
Why do you hate your Sony? I have the dru-500a and I love it!

Everytime I want to burn a disk I have to put in a movie-dvd and let it play for a sec or 5 or I get a calibration error?? When I’ve don that the drive will burn. I have to do this everytime??

Also since I upgraded the firmware to 2.0f I can’t burn at 4x anymore. with the original firmware I could burn at 4x withoud any problems.
I’ve searched for the 2.0c firmware but I can’t find it anywhere:(

So as soon as the new plextor is available this sony will fly out the door for any price I can get.

Sorry to hear that, I really haven’t had any problems with it, besides some cheap 2x DVD-R only burning at 1x but I use DVD+ media all the time anyway so I really don’t care…

Originally posted by snowie
I’ve searched for the 2.0c firmware but I can’t find it anywhere

I thought the 2.0c was for the DRU510!

It isn’t mentioned here .

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]I thought the 2.0c was for the DRU510!

It isn’t mentioned here . [/B]

No I’m sure it had firmware 2.0c and the drive is a dru500AX.

That’s the problem I think, because it’s the original firmware you can’t download it anywhere:(