Plextor PX-708A troubles

Hello!

Honestly, reading this forum i wonder is there any OK working plextor 708a drive lol

Just bought one - TLA#0204, manufactured january 2004, and
had bad times configuring - worked only when i put it as secondary master. until then it didnt burn cd-r/rw, all coasters, didnt try any dvd burning. I use nero 6.3.0.3.

Then burned 3 DVD+R discs, verbatim 4x certified from one batch, although for some strange reason 1 of them reads faster than others on the same drive, tested by nero dvdspeed…

DVD+RW burned ok, medianca 2.4x certified, read speed ok.

CD-R burned ok, tried different media - eproformance, verbatim -
read speed ok, although lead-out writing is slow…

But the biggest problems are with CD-RW writing/reading -
tried using different media - princo, verbatim and eproformance cd-rws 2-12x and 16-24x certified, - and only discs that can be read after writing are verbatim datalifeplus 16-24x.
Nero shows that disc is written successfully but then it cannot read it and hangs with crc data error.
Sometimes 708a drive slows down while reading cd-rws it burned,
and hangs completely, but sometimes after slowing down it spins up and reads data successfully.

I tried to run self-diagnostic test as desribed in plextor support faq, and it ended by not ejecting disc and blinking 1 time per second (i waited for 15minutes then rebooted).

Does that mean that i have defective drive ?

aberzins wrote:

Honestly, reading this forum i wonder is there any OK working plextor 708a drive lol

I have a Plextor 708a that works perfectly fine burning dvds and cds. Although I do most of my cd burning w/ my 40x12x40 Plextor CD burner and use the 708a strictly for dvd burning. I would suggest you contact Plextor tech support. I have not had any problems with my 708a. (crosses fingers and knocks on wood) :wink:

I mean I would believe that plextor is just picky with cd-rw media as mentioned on the forum and that is why it likes expensive verbatim datalifeplus 16-24x media only, but what about failed self-diagnostic test ?
Ok I will try to contact plextor support…

Ok, problem solved, i guess:

When I ran self-diagnostic test on my Plextor PX-708A first 2 times and it failed I used Prodisc CD-R media which is on Plextor’s official ‘compatible media’ list so media must be ok. Today for self-diagnostic test I tried to use Taiyo Yuden CD-R media which is on
Plextor’s ‘recommended media’ list (a step higher in compatibility) and test did end successfully! I was surprised because I tried to burn audio cd on that Prodisc media earlier with 708A drive and everything was successful.

Actually is this
normal that there are only less than 10 brands on Plextor’s recommended media list ? Because normally you can find only 1-2 of those brands at best at your local stores.

Now I would like to find out if all 708A drives are so extremely picky or my drive may be faulty.

The Plextor PX-708A is picky with CD-R and CD-RW media. For me the drive works best with Plextor’s own CD-RW media and with high quality CD-R media like Taiyo Yuden. I normally don’t use my PX-708A for CD-R(W) burning and only use it for DVDR burning.

Originally posted by aberzins
[B]Ok, problem solved, i guess:

When I ran self-diagnostic test on my Plextor PX-708A first 2 times and it failed I used Prodisc CD-R media which is on Plextor’s official ‘compatible media’ list so media must be ok. Today for self-diagnostic test I tried to use Taiyo Yuden CD-R media which is on
Plextor’s ‘recommended media’ list (a step higher in compatibility) and test did end successfully! I was surprised because I tried to burn audio cd on that Prodisc media earlier with 708A drive and everything was successful.

Actually is this
normal that there are only less than 10 brands on Plextor’s recommended media list ? Because normally you can find only 1-2 of those brands at best at your local stores.

Now I would like to find out if all 708A drives are so extremely picky or my drive may be faulty. [/B]

I use the cheapest media available for CDR’s or DVD’s purchased at outpost.com (Fry’s) know as GQ or Great Quality they work fine with my Plextor DVDR± Drive also the GQ DVD -R and +R media works fine too, the best -R DVD’s in my opinion are available at www.pcclub.com item # A3458853 @4X also work great with my Plextor drive.

slvreagl wrote:

the best -R DVD’s in my opinion are available at www.pcclub.com item # A3458853 @4X also work great with my Plextor drive.

Those DVD-R from Pcclub.com are RITEK G04. They’re listed as GENERIC DVD-R 25 pack spindle. Be careful of Pcclub.com prices they sometimes change the price of those GENERIC DVD-R. A few months back they jacked the prices to $39.99. I get mine from the one of the las vegas stores. Currently the price is $19.99. I haven’t burnt any coasters using these discs.

The plextor 708a is picky about cdr media but I use the crappy memorex cdr that supposedly is manufactured by CMC. The memorex works for me. I used to only use KODAK GOLD & MITSUI SILVER CDR’s for my music cds. But the cost for those got too expensive for me.

PENT 4 2.4 GHZ CHIP, 1 GB DDRAM, WIN 2000 PRO W/ SP4
PLEXTOR 708A
PLEXTOR 40X12X40 CD BURNER
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CD BURNER
60 GB, 120 GB MAXTOR HDS, 120 GB EXTERNAL HD FIREWIRE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 DIGITAL CONVERTER
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 PS

Originally posted by aberzins

Well the first one I got was a dud and it had problems with all CD / CD-R / CD-Rw media but no problems with DVD media.

I am on the second one now and it works like a charm. I use CD-Rw all the time and I never have reading or writing problems.

As to the problems you’re currently having, I will have to agree with the other posters and tell you to call plextor tech support. It is possible that the drive could be defective. Then again it might not be defective and it could be some obscure IDE driver issue. You never know.