Plextor PX-708A takes 2-3 Hours to record DVD

Hi -

I’m trying to backup some of my video DVDs using my Plextor PX-708A (Firmware Version 1.03), and it takes almost forever! :frowning:

I am using InstantCopy Version 8.0.0.0251, and AnyDVD 2.0.0.4. I am using InstantCopy 8, since I have read (and seen comparison tests) in multiple postings that IC8 provides the best overall recording quality.

It seems that almost any video DVD that I try to backup takes about 2 -> 2.5 hours to read. I think this is happening mostly on dual-layer DVDs. The writing is relatively quick (at least in comparison), at about 15-20 minutes.

I’ve got 512MB of RAM, and my CPU is @ 2.1 GHz, running WinXP, SP1. I don’t think my hardware is the limitation.

I’ve tried the 3-second eject-button thingy, which seems to work (at least with Nero 6 CD-DVD Speed), since the average CD speed changes from 2.0x to an average of 5.98x on a dual layer DVD. However, the 3-second button trick doesn’t seem to affect InstantCopy at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

azjazz

For one thing InstantCopy takes forever to compress the DVD and mine never does compress it to the full allowable size to write to the DVD. It is always short by a 250 or 350 MBytes. I quit using it after a few times. I use DVD Shrink Version 3.0 Beta 5 in the Deep Analysis mode and the results are fine and much faster than InsantCopy, and it always uses the full capacity of the DVD in it’s compression mode. I don’t use my 708a for ripping, only for burning. I use a LITE-ON XJ-HD165H 16X DVD ROM Drive for all my ripping and reading. It reads anything and only costs $32 at NewEgg.

Hi azjazz, welcome to our Forum!

I have to agree with oldfartjc. The problem you’re experiencing is because InstantCopy needs a lot more time to compress movies than other software tools. In theory InstantCopy gives the best possible quality but one-click-solutions like CloneDVD, DVD2one, DVD Shrink can all produce quality back-ups in much less time. I personally prefer to use CloneDVD because it’s very easy to use and burning works very well with my PX-708A drive. I rip my DVDs with freeware DVD Decrypter in less than 10 minutes.

Rip a DVD in 10 minutes? Cooool!

Two questions about DVD Decrypter, then:

Can DVD Decrypter compress DVD9 disks to fit on a DVD5 disk?

Can DVD Decrypter (or anything) backup an X-Box DVD yet?

azjazz

No DVD Decrypter is only a ripper! You still need to compress your DVD9 movies to DVD5 with software like CloneDVD, DVD Shrink or DVD2One. The difference with these programs and InstantCopy is that they only need 25 minutes to compress movies while IC needs a couple of hours. So that’s why I personally use DVD Decrypter for ripping and CloneDVD for transcoding. You can also use software like AnyDVD which decrypts DVDs on-the-fly meaning that you can skip the ripping process with DVD Decrypter and jump straight to transcoding with CloneDVD for example.

Regarding Xbox: these DVDs are not protected! All you need to do is read the Xbox DVDs in your Xbox and trasfer the files to your computer via FXP. This is because a normal PC drive cannot read Xbox DVDs and will only show VOB files instead of the real files. Once you have trasferred the files to your computer you can burn them with Nero (UDF) or Stomp Record Now. Your Xbox has to be modded of course to be able to play DVDR discs and to be able to FXP from and to it.

Thanks! Great information G@M3FR3@K, as always!

azjazz

The plextor has a trick you need to know. Most DVD burners are locked at 2x rip speed.

With an empty tray press and hold the button for 5 seconds. (the light will blink 3 times) then let go of the button and it will eject. The next disk you put in will rip at full speed. 11x or so.

As soon as you eject the disk it goes back to normal rip speed of 2x.

Wish I knew how to change it via software or firmware hack.

Thanks for the input goblin1 but

Originally posted by azjazz

I’ve tried the 3-second eject-button thingy, which seems to work (at least with Nero 6 CD-DVD Speed), since the average CD speed changes from 2.0x to an average of 5.98x on a dual layer DVD. However, the 3-second button trick doesn’t seem to affect InstantCopy at all.
:wink:

The trick doesn’t seem to work with Alcohol 120 either. But when I try with other programs (DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, CloneDVD) it works just fine.

Originally posted by chuoicanai
The trick doesn’t seem to work with Alcohol 120 either. But when I try with other programs (DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, CloneDVD) it works just fine.

It works well with DVD Xcopy platinum, DVD decryptor and DVD shrink.

Those programs have not failed me yet. have yet to find a movie DVD that I could not copy with any of those.

The “speed read” trick is now working with DVD X Copy.