Plextor PX-708A & Nero 5.5.10.45 errors

vbimport

I’m having problems with my Plextor PX-708A (Firmware 1.06) and Nero 5.5.10.45 (as supplied with the drive).

I’ve tried a variety of media including TDK (as specified on the Plextor ‘recommended media’ list).

Around 50% of the time writing a CD-R fails with a write error. Probably around 75% of the time writing DVD+R fails with a verify error during the verification stage in Nero.

I’ve had the drive itself replaced so I imagine that’s unlikely to be the problem, but what should I try next?

Now, there’s a review of the drive here:

http://www.hardwarezoom.com/viewcontent.jsp?ReviewID=173&PageNo=2

which states that included with the drive is:

“a production-time notice (blue) on the incompatibility issues between the PX-708A and the bundled Nero 5.5.10.45 (i.e. go download updates)”

My drive was supplied fitted so I don’t have this notice, can anybody tell me precisely what it says? Is that likely to be my problem?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Chris

My first question is, “Is Nero the only software you have tried?”
Second, are you trying to copy DATA or something else?

My first question is, “Is Nero the only software you have tried?”

Yes.

Second, are you trying to copy DATA or something else?

Just data.

Chris

try using IMG TOOL BURN, it’s a free burning program which requires NERO burn to be installed. I’m guessing the NERO that came with the drive you can not update it or rather you would have to pay for the updates. Here is a download for IMG TOOL BURN:
http://www.coujo.de/ib/index.php?act=html_include&incl_name=download

the download is in the middle of the page. download the one that says 5.5 since you’re using NERO 5.5. the program itself is easy to use. I would suggest you try another brand of media other than TDK. use dvdinfo pro to find out the exact media id code. TDK media can be manufactured by CMC which is crappy media. Try using MAXELL (media code MXLRG01 or MXLRG02) or FUJI (media code TYG01 or TYG02 which is TAIYO YUDEN) DVD-R 4x speed media. They are the best DVD-R media to use and are made in JAPAN.

try using IMG TOOL BURN, it’s a free burning program which requires NERO burn to be installed.

Thanks, I’ll take a look. By the looks of it though it won’t offer the same degree of flexibility as Nero.

I’m guessing the NERO that came with the drive you can not update it or rather you would have to pay for the updates.

Yes, it’s an OEM version that came with the drive, but the Nero site seems to imply that I could update it to the latest 5.5 (5.5.10.56) at no cost, would that be likely to fix my problem? I’d upgrade to 6 if I thought it would work, I just don’t particularly want to go down the path of buying lots of different software before stumbling across one that actually works!

I would suggest you try another brand of media other than TDK. use dvdinfo pro to find out the exact media id code. TDK media can be manufactured by CMC which is crappy media.

Just checked and both my TDK CD-R’s and DVD+R’s are manufactured by CMC. I deliberately went for TDK disks since they’re on the plextor ‘recommended media’ list - how do you tell before you buy them that they’re actually manufactured by TDK though? The CMC’s do seem to be on the Plextor ‘compatible media’ list.

Thanks

Chris

I’ve found Nero above 5.5.10.42 to be a bit quirky with the PX-708A. Try using an older version (Google for 5.5.10.42) and/or try another software.
That applies to the 5.5-series which I personally perfer over the 6.X.
//Danne

ChrisCamb wrote:

Yes, it’s an OEM version that came with the drive, but the Nero site seems to imply that I could update it to the latest 5.5 (5.5.10.56) at no cost, would that be likely to fix my problem? I’d upgrade to 6 if I thought it would work, I just don’t particularly want to go down the path of buying lots of different software before stumbling across one that actually works!

I’d suggest upgrading to the 5.5.10.56. I use 5.5.10.42 with no problems. I totally understand not wanting to buy lots of different software if they don’t actually work well for you.

Just checked and both my TDK CD-R’s and DVD+R’s are manufactured by CMC. I deliberately went for TDK disks since they’re on the plextor ‘recommended media’ list - how do you tell before you buy them that they’re actually manufactured by TDK though? The CMC’s do seem to be on the Plextor ‘compatible media’ list.

MAXELL & FUJI DVD-R 4x speed media is on the RECOMMENDED brands of DVD MEDIA that plextor supports. It has only been in the last few months that TDK decided to let CMC manufacture some of the DVD MEDIA. If you purchase the MAXELL & FUJI discs the spindle will say MADE IN JAPAN. TDK will either say MADE IN TAIWAN or SINGAPORE. Although TDK is on the compatible list of brands to use, it doesn’t necessarily mean they will work well with the 708A drive. There really isn’t a way to tell what media codes are on TDK’s or any other brand unless you purchase it and use DVDINFO PRO. But MAXELL & FUJI DVD-R spindles as long as they say MADE IN JAPAN, you’re safe that the discs will be TAIYO YUDEN OR MXLRG01 or MXLRG02 which is the best brands to use. Take a look at this site regarding brands of DVD MEDIA.

DiiZzYwrote:

I’ve found Nero above 5.5.10.42 to be a bit quirky with the PX-708A. Try using an older version (Google for 5.5.10.42) and/or try another software.

I’ve used version 5.5.10.42 from day one with my 708A drive and have no problems with it. Chriscamb’s problem could most likely be the TDK media and upgrading to another version 5 of NERO would be his best bet.

I’d suggest upgrading to the 5.5.10.56. I use 5.5.10.42 with no problems. I totally understand not wanting to buy lots of different software if they don’t actually work well for you.

OK, I’ll give it a go. Are there any problems with Nero if I need to install an earlier version? Or is using the Nero Clean Tool sufficient?

There really isn’t a way to tell what media codes are on TDK’s or any other brand

I usually purchase by mail order, are there any brands that can be guaranteed to be OK without having to look for MADE IN JAPAN or whatever?

This media issue is a real pain, for the last three years I’ve been using Nero with an HP CD Writer, and have not burned a single coaster - I’ve never needed to give any thought to what type of media to buy, I’ve used a wide variety and it has all worked.

Thanks for your advice

Chris

OK, I’ll give it a go. Are there any problems with Nero if I need to install an earlier version? Or is using the Nero Clean Tool sufficient?

Use the clean tool to do a clean installation, then go ahead and install the latest 5.5 that you’re able to download.

I usually purchase by mail order, are there any brands that can be guaranteed to be OK without having to look for MADE IN JAPAN or whatever?

If you order online from like rima.com or newegg.com they sell maxell dvd-r 4x speed or you can order taiyo yuden 4x speed dvd-r as well. Take a look at their websites. Newegg.com is online orders and I think Rima.com you can phone order. Both websites are in the USA. Here’s some links:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1674-50&Category_Code=DMRTY

Fuji DVD-R 10 PACK JEWEL CASES are manufactured by TAIYO YUDEN & the MAXELL’s are MADE IN JAPAN. I know you’re not in the USA but check out those sites because they may ship to your location. I’m not sure.

OK, many thanks.

The companies you mentioned will only ship within USA, but I’m sure I’ll be able to locate a supplier here in the UK.

Chris