Plextor PX-708A - Message for prospective buyers

I’ve owned my drive since last November. The drive no longer reads DVDs/DVD±Rs, and there are two amber blinks. I’ve checked forums/plextor website/and manual. I’ve even run the diagnostics. Nothing.

A friend of mine bought it at the same time. He has the same problem. The drive is obviously not built well, which is a disappointment considering Plextor has always been about quality all these years. I guess they wanted to rush out an 8X drive, and this is the result. Other people on forums are experiencing this problem too.

I guess the only thing will be to RMA it. Wow, that’s wonderful.

You might want to consider other brands if you’re thinking about this one.

Thanks, and hope you have better luck than me.

2 blinks indicate a problem with media or the optical pickup. If you’ve tested with recommended media and the drive passed, then the drive is okay. If you tested with crappy media, the drive will usually end up with a single blink. If youve tested with a stamped DVD or CDR and still get the 2 blinks, then RMA the drive. Plextor probably has shipped tens of thousands of these drives and a few will fail. Just check the other hardware forums and you’ll see you’re not alone. You’ve had the drive for 7 months. Not like they “rushed it” if you’ve gotten this much time out of it so far.

You might want to consider other brands if you’re thinking about this one.

I agree with bob if you are using cheap media then don’t blame the drive. What brands of media are you using? Other brands like Pioneer, Nec & Liteon are able to use cheap media with and without problems. I don’t understand how people use cheap media when expensive brand dvd media goes on sale at OFFICE DEPOT & OFFICE MAX . Both stores have had good sales on MAXELL DVD-R/+ 4X & FUJI DVD-R 4X (TAIYO YUDEN), & FUJI DVD+R/RW the last few weeks. Just my opinion. :slight_smile:

i had problems with px 708a. it stopped recognizing cd’s. I’ve sent it to plextor and i’m waiting fot the new one at the moment. I also bought it when nexposure says: at the end of october 2k3. 2/3 of dvd’s i burned were ricoh r01-02. All cd’s i used were prodisk. It may be some problem with this drive at early models. My drive was manufactured september 2003 and came with 1.02 firmware.

It may be some problem with this drive at early models. My drive was manufactured september 2003 and came with 1.02 firmware.

My drive was manufactured in OCTOBER 2003 TLA# 0102. I haven’t had any problems with it. Some people have no problems with the 1.06 firmware and others are having to RMA the drive back to Plextor. I’m still using 1.04 firmware. I’ll be building 2 computers in the next few months and I’ll be using Plextor 708A or 712.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My plextor was also from september 2003.
After I’ve updated the firmware to 1.06 it didn’t recognized any cd’s(dvd’s where no problem).
I’ve filled out the form at the plextor site and after an half an hour I got a mail to return the drive and I would get a new one.

If you read to this forum you will see alot of people have problems with firmware 1.06

My friend had similar problems too. He returned it and got new unit after few days. Service person said they got many Plextor drives returned lately. “King of Quality” … bleh… you pay 80% more and then you need to return it and always buy only the best media coz “King of Quality” wont burn other media very well. Anyway, my next drive is NEC. :slight_smile:

My friend had similar problems too. He returned it and got new unit after few days. Service person said they got many Plextor drives returned lately. “King of Quality” … bleh… you pay 80% more and then you need to return it and always buy only the best media coz “King of Quality” wont burn other media very well. Anyway, my next drive is NEC.

Take a look at NEC they also have their share of problems using different brands of media. Every brand of dvd burners have their problems just take a look at the PIONEER, NEC, LITEON, LG & BENQ forums. Good luck with your NEC! :rolleyes:

My problems started with 1.04 firmware, upgrading at 1.06 had no result. My next drive will be a Liteon, cause it has many features and it’s quite reliable (i won’t hack drive’s firmware). I will buy a DL 4x driver, when it comes out. Plextor is a great company, we have an excellent warranty, but not some features like booktype setting or testing dvd’s using cd dvd speed or kprob (pi/po etc). DVD_ADDICT: My model was TLA#0002.

or testing dvd’s using cd dvd speed or kprob (pi/po etc)
I don’t see this as a negative since Plextor offers their own (official) software for testing the quality of CD and DVD media. It’s a very reliable method and comes close to the official standards. I agree with you though that booktype setting would be very nice.

I couldn’t check dvd’s (PI/PO) neither with plextools. That’s why i mentioned cd dvd speed. I will try the new version of plextools, when i 'll have my drive back from RMA (actually plextor hold the drive for 1day, and dhl has it for about 5-6 days!). :a

You can do C1/C2 error tests with the Plextor Premium drive or the PX-712A drive. You can do PI/PO error tests with the PX-712A. These are the only two drives that are able to perform these tests, it won’t work with any other drives.

yes, i know, but i have 708a and i don’t want something else right now. i would be happy if i could check pi/po at my drive. i don’t understand why 708a don’t support this feature.

Two possible reasons: error correction is not good and values would be much higher than with LiteON->KProbe (Premium has 3x higher values than LiteON recorders) and maybe they just want people to buy 712A (similar “marketing” was done for Premium vs. regular 52/24/52 CDRW).

I don’t think that 708 hasn’t good error correction. I have some prodisk cd’s burned with ricoh mp7200 (my old cd-rw) and at ricoh they seemed to have 100.000-5.000.000 c2 errors, and plextor could read (and copy them to HDisk) all cd’s with less than 1.000.000 c2 (ricoh) errors. Media has pooooooooor quality, but 708 does the job.

i received my new drive last monday. for the past week it’s been working fine. we’ll just have to see what happens. they were quick and understanding about replacing the drive. they no longer do repairs according to the email because it is not cost effective. as soon as you have problems with your drive, return it and make use of their warranty.

as far as media, i’ve used tdk, memorex, and fuji. cd-r i mainly use imation, but just recently bought sony cdrs (giving them another chance)

by the way, first plextor never was able to write cd-text, this one does. is this a weird thing?

i received my new one too. i haven’t check cd-text. i use taiyo yuden cd’s, and i don’t have any problems at all.

All Plextor drives should be able to write CD-Text just fine, as would any new optical drive.

well, what i meant was that on my first drive it didn’t work, which annoyed me because i’ve been using cd-text (wish every cd out there had it) for years. it is working now. this is weird!!! thanks for your help everyone. for now this thing works, and if it fails again, i’ll replace it, ebay it, and check out other brands.