Plextor PX-708A firmware 1.06 released!

That unreadable block at the end of CD is always there when CD isnt written in Disc-at-once mode. Data is readable because that block doesnt contain useful info, it contains information about sessions on CD or something like that.

flashed my 708 with v1.06 firmware from plextor.be and then with region free firmware from with http://tdb.rpc1.org.
Driveinfo does show DVD is now region free.

but I still cannot get my Japanese (Region 2) DVD’s working (DVD was originally set to USA, Region 1). Drive just continue to search for a disc (either yellow light or blinking yellow, but not a green one), explorer does not show any disc and just “hangs”
using: DVDRegion free 3.32 and Power DVD 5.

do I miss any things? any things I have to pay attention to?
help is very much appreciated

Yes, I can confirm this.

Not tried 1.0.6 yet… I am wondering why it doesn’t show at plextor.com in the USA yet… does that mean anything?

Anyhow, if region free is the issue, go for elby region killer! That rocks… the drive willl report itself as region free.

Not sure how patching over a f/w would work, but elby just works great!

~M

You can download region killer from that link using mirror 3.

thanks for the link. found another version as well: Version 2.6.0.1, October 6, 2001

after fw1.06 and fw1.06 (region patched) back again to fw1.04.
have fw1.04 not region patched yet. do not want to do not many times, better have some patience until the firmware discussion comes to final conclusions.

does 708 fw 1.04 (not patched but still RPC2) with region killer works for all regions with you? with me it does not work :frowning:
(or does only fw1.04 patched + region killer work ?

@twingo,

2.7.0.1 is the final version. Then the rights for the software were acquired by Slysoft and DVDRegionKiller became the well known and powerful AnyDVD. :bow:

From DVDRegionKiller helpfile:

Requirements

You will need a region free DVD-ROM drive. Region protected (RPC-2) DVD-ROMs will not work, except the disc to be played is not protected with the CSS copy protection system.

Regards, ET

BTW, I missed out that a RPC-1 firmware version for the 708 came finally out! The Dangerous Brothers are cool!

However, I already have my Toshiba DVD-ROM patched RPC1, so I will leave the original FW on my Plex for now… :wink:

Originally posted by twingo

does 708 fw 1.04 (not patched but still RPC2) with region killer works for all regions with you?

thanks, managed to find region killer 2.7.0.1 (although for this problem 2.5.01 or 2.6.01 would do the job as well).
together with the fw1.04 region patch my p708 runs all discs :slight_smile: and is dvdshrink already running like hell now :slight_smile:

conclusion for me : fw1.04 can be region free, fw1.06 cannot. this fw1.06 only gave problems with me (like pextor USA confirms)

Still havent fixed the Ricoh problem, burned a 8x TDK +R and it locked up 3/4 thru…thank god i bought a NEC

Budman62 wrote:

Still havent fixed the Ricoh problem, burned a 8x TDK +R and it locked up 3/4 thru…thank god i bought a NEC

I burn 8x using RICOH TDK 4x speed DVD+R & IMATION 4x speed DVD+R perfectly fine :bigsmile: Don’t understand why some people have problems with it. Go Figure!:bigsmile: