Plextor PX-708A DL?

vbimport

Does anyone know is there an official or unofficial firmware that will enable one to burn DL disc with it? How about later on? Any ideas? Possibilities?

Unlikely that this will happen. In theory it may be possible though. Unofficially I haven’t seen anything that will enable DL burning and I don’t expect to see this anytime soon.

Won’t happen. Even NEC warns that customers shouldn’t use the firmware for the 2510 on the 2500. Will trash the drive.

708A/Uf drives are designed to record single layer R media. Will probably have to wait until the 16x drive or all vendors release DL drives, not just a few. Vendors like Plextor are not going to put a lot of effort into firmware enhancements providing a feature like DL on a drive designed before the DL spec was ratified.

I would be just happy of they release a firmware update to add 8X DVD-R like Sony did with their DRU530 drive

I don’t see that happening either. The PX-712A supports 8x DVD-R recording, the PX-708A 4x. The 708A drive will only support 4x (and lower) recording on 8x DVD-R media.

I just wanna say there is hope for this, please look @ my convo with a plextor rep:

Me: Is there a firmware update for this 8X DVD+R drive that will make it to be able to burn dual layer disc? I’ve heard rumors about this.

PLEXTOR: Until the Dual Layer standard is finalized we cannot offer the feature, once the standard is finalized our perspective may change.

ME: Thank you. Will it be possible for me to request Plextor to keep me updated on this issue?

PLEXTOR: Yes, your email will be added to the growing list of customers wanting this feature :slight_smile:

^^

Probably a rep just being nice and not wanting to say “no.” DL standard not “finalized?” Right… :rolleyes:

wel… i dunno about that. Is it finalized? I dun see any dual layer burners around.

DL burners have been announced, and DL media is in production. The media is still in very short supply and probably pricey to boot. Since the max record speed of DL is 2.4x, I can wait.

I agree with bob11879 to wait until dual layer speed is faster than 2.4. :slight_smile:

yea but the thing is… if i can burn dual layer disc with my current P708A, i’ll be more than happy, even @ 1X.

yea but the thing is… if i can burn dual layer disc with my current P708A, i’ll be more than happy, even @ 1X

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

what’s ur icons trying to say?

I agree, however I would like to see it with the 712
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i’m pretty positive that if they come out wif a fireware for DL on the 708 , they’ll do it for the 712 too.

Maybe not, sometimes a guinnea pig is in order

i hope that we’ll see a firmware to burn DL’s @ 708.

There won’t be one…

why you saying so firmly that there will be no such firmware?

why you saying so firmly that there will be no such firmware?

Because why would they waste their time in developing firmware when they have a new 12x burner out. I see them probably working on a dual layer burner by the end of the year or early next year. In other words make a new dual layer burner = more money for the consumer to spend=more money for PLEXTOR. Isn’t that how a business makes money!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: