Plextor PX-708A "COULD NOT PERFORM FIX DISK" error!

vbimport

COULD NOT PERFORM FIX DISK error
After more than 10 days now, that I have bought my new Plextor, I have burned many CDs and I also burned quite enough DVD-Videos with no problems. I use nero 5.5.10.45. I have burned mostly on TDK DVD+R 2x-4x discs (a very good quality blank media). I have also burned some other brands and types of discs and some of them had no problems when burned but had problems when played back on my Philips home player (which is somehow sensitive and selective and plays only perfect quality media). Other brands stuck or stop when the DVDplayer reaches the outer chapters. Only TDKs play perfectly throughout the whole movie to the last minute! I don’t say nessessarily other media/brands are bad. I just say that my old Philips play only extra perfect discs. Probably these “problematic” dvd’s of mine would play good in other players (though i tried them on Hundai and Comet players and have problems with them too).

Last night i burned another movie on a TDK DVD+R (1x-4x), at 4x speed. Usually I burn on 2.4x or 4x. Both speeds worked fine till now. But I had my first fail with this disk. It’s not the disk, it’s the Plextor who is responsible:

I burned the compilation and when it reached to 99% of the progress, and when fixing the disk, these errors poped-up:

• “Invalid field in command”
  • “Could not perform end of Disc-At-Once”
  • Burn process failed at 4x (5.520 KB/s) !!!

I have read in other threads also, that PX-708A has problems in “finishing” (closing) recordings.
This is probably what happened here too.
Of course i tried again with another same TDK disk and it finished perfectly!
It was random!
But… (questions):
Why does it happen?
Who is responsible? Plextor or Nero ???
Was it something really random? How often can this random thing happen?
Does this have something to do with the firmware? (i have v1.02 latest firmware)
Does anyone else had the same error messages from Nero?
At last (most serious):
In CD-recording, many times when a fixing was failed the session remained open. Then we could perform a “Close session (or cd)” routine, and finally the failed cd closed correctly and the recording (and the media) was “saved”!
Is there any similar function with DVD-R’s ???
So i could finish the fixing correctly again and save my DVD ???

Waiting for you answers please… Thanks a lot!

The first time I had this problem I used DVDDecryter to close the track and then the disk by right clicking on the Plextor 708a in the source window and selecting Close. Last week I had the same problem when using my second Memorex 4X disc with firmware 1.02 and it didn’t seem to work and now had a coaster. It happened again yesterday and I used a program I downloaded called BatchDisc and it worked good. I think I would try BatchDisk. Just search on Google for it.

Just tried Nero 6.0.0.19 and the disc did not close so I used BatchDisc and closed it. I wish somebody would fix this problem, either Nero or Plextor. Firmware 1.02/Memorex 4X/JPNR01, it did not burn at 8X even though Nero said it was. I’m glad another program saves the disc but this is a bunch of crap.

Thank you! I will download it and try to save my disc!
I will inform you if succeed!

Note, that i flashed the 1.04 firmware! (the problem was performed with the original 1.03 of my drive).
But i don’t think it is solved in this version either.
We must wait long…

Since it is random and not rare, why don’t they try to solve it in a firmware soon ?

I have the same problem, with plextor wouldn’t able to closed the disk. I did update to the latest firmware 1.03 and using nero 6.0.19…what is going on???

Is it problem with nero 6.0.19 or problem with plextor px-708a or the memorex dvd+r x4?? please advice…

where to get this batch disc?? link please… how to use it for closing the disk?? I hate to throw away this disk.

I have the same problem, with plextor wouldn’t able to closed the disk. I did update to the latest firmware 1.03 and using nero 6.0.19…what is going on???

Is it problem with nero 6.0.19 or problem with plextor px-708a or the memorex dvd+r x4?? please advice…

where to get this batch disc?? link please… how to use it for closing the disk?? I hate to throw away this disk.

the link to download is : http://www.batchdisc.com/

I download it, installed it, and try to run the command FINALIZE from the prompt line. It doesn’t run.
What do i do wrong?
I have read the few instructions but i rather do something wrong!
Could OLDFARTDJ please write us the command we should give in the C:\ prompt, please???
thanks

I will check more closely when I get home but I think all I did was type Finalize and it went a found all my DVD readers and recorders (Plextor 708a) and then I hit enter again and it started it’s process and then said it was successful. I do believe you need an ASPI layer installed which you should have already there. What happens when you try to run it. I am running Windows XP Pro.

Yes, thank you! After i post the message, i found that there is a shortcut installed on the desktop that is used to run the program. Then, you only have to type FINALIZE ! Nothing more!
(originally i tried to type finalize in a prompt window opened manually by me - it doesn’t go like this - you have to run the prompt shortcut given by the program!)

The program searches and finds all the drives and open sessions.
For the friend asking “does it really works?” i answer: YES, IT WORKS FINE!
I have SAVED 2 DVDs that were not finalized and were unreadable by any means!
Yes! It works fine! And the saved dvds play perfectly in all desktop DVDplayers!

TRY IT! IT’S VERY SIMPLE! VERY EFFECTIVE!

whery do you get the 1.04 firmware for the 708?

Would like to know that too!:slight_smile:

Originally posted by konsolen
whery do you get the 1.04 firmware for the 708?

from the official Plextor site of course: www.plextor.com

Good joke pasalimanius!!:bigsmile:

Actually the problem is not random at all, it’s only happens (at least with Nero) when the new media was already in drive before you hit “Burn”, if you hit “Burn” and then insert media only after Nero gives “Please insert …” dialog - then everything is OK.

Haven’t tried with 1.0.4 because I don’t want to waist any more disks.

hello surg! What do you mean? This is not a joke (except that i have written .com instead of .be by mistake). Yes! The correct url is www.plextor.be and you can find all firmware updates free of charge there!

Lord Kiron i will try what you are saying, (cause i don’t destroy the dvd disk anyway, i use the utility and fix it later in case it’s not finalised), but… i agree it is random, but i don’t think it has to do with the prior inserted or not disk.

I also had problems finalizing discs with various versions of Nero (6.0.0.15-6.3.0.0) and various revisions of the PX-708A firmware (1.00-1.04).

What appears to have resolved the issue:
I used Ahead’s CleanTool (for Nero) and re-installed the latest version of Nero (6.3.0.0) and the problem has not re-appeared. I am using revision 1.04 of the PX-708A firmware.

And the exact url to download the firmware is here…

http://www.plextor.be/English/technical/downld_firmw_708A.html

Originally posted by Elr0nd
[B]I also had problems finalizing discs with various versions of Nero (6.0.0.15-6.3.0.0) and various revisions of the PX-708A firmware (1.00-1.04).

What appears to have resolved the issue:
I used Ahead’s CleanTool (for Nero) and re-installed the latest version of Nero (6.3.0.0) and the problem has not re-appeared. I am using revision 1.04 of the PX-708A firmware. [/B]

I have done the same things you did.
Firmware version 1.04 and Nero 6.3.0.0 works fine.
No errors at all.

Sorry but i cannot use nero 6.xxx, i can only use 5.5.x due to pc restrictions (old/slow pc).
But i fixed my problem (of non-fixing dvds) with BatchDisc ! (i also have 1.04 firmware.
But please, tell me, what is the CleanTool ??? What does it does specifically ?
And does it go only with nero 6.x ! Eh?