Plextor PX-708A 8 minute burn?

vbimport

Hello
I just recently bought the new Plextor px-708a drive b/c of all the great reviews I had read on the net, and how it’s able to burn a full 4.7 gb dvd+r disc around 8 minutes or so. Well, the quickest i seem to be able to burn a full dvd+r is around 15 minutes or so ( nero), and whats interesting about this is that am given the option in nero to burn at 8x with my current TDK DVD+R discs and I do but it still takes around 15 minutes I have tried many different types of 4x media like the plextor recommends for 8x burning. Am currently using TDK dvd+r 4x media (DVD+R47C) which on plextor’s website says that these can be burned at 8x. I have also checked to see if my drives have changed over to PIO mode, but there in DMA, so am really clueless on how to make the drive burn +R media in 8 minutes. If anyone has a px-708a have you been able to burn at 8 minutes? The discs were also made by Ricoh too, and I have updated the firmware to 1.04 and updated nero and my motherboard VIA4and1 drivers also…
Thanks in advance!

I read your post in another forum, try just using your plex alone on the ide cable, unhook that i think you said sony dvd-rom, i know when i hook up my dvd-rw and dvd-rom as the same ribbon my dvd-rw drive doesnt work, also try setting it to secondary slave, i know everyone says set as secondary master but my plex likes it better slave to my nec 2500…haha
And i do get 8x burns 7-8 mins full dvd with ricoh dvd+r’s…better known was tdk’s,memorex,arita…etc
But to be honest with you 8x burning with the plex isnt all that great esp playback pixaltion near end of disc’s when playing on standalones…hence why i own a NEC heck it burns the dvd+r’s at 6x…but they WORK!!..plex you need a firmware update soon, lets say i have the plex back in the box tried to take it back to bestbuy but my 30 days are up…any buyers?

Hi ,

my drives: Plextor PX 708A Firmware 1.04 (Slave)
(and Sony DRU 500 AX - Master).

Plextor PX 708A with Nero 6.3.0.3 :

Sony 4x (Ricoh R01) 4481 MB (4.38GB) @8x : 8 min. 2 sec.
Platinum 4x (Ricoh R01) 4481 MB (4.38GB) @ 8x : 7 min. 48 sec.
Platinum 4x (Ritek R02) 4481 MB (4.38GB) @ 8x : 8 min. 4 sec.
TDK 4x (TY G01) 4481 MB (4.38GB) @ 8x : 8 min. 24 sec.
Verbatim 4x (MCC 002) 4481 MB (4.38GB) @ 8x : 7 min. 52 sec.
(all DVDs played no problem with Pioneer 350 S , CyberHome ADL 528 , Denver 121 )

midiman.

px-708a (1.04)

TDK DVD+R (RICOHJPNR01)

get 8 minute burns every time!

i would recommend these

I also read your post in another forum. I burn @ 8x speed when using IMATION DVD+R 4x speed (RICOH). I use either NERO BURN version 5.5.10.42 or IMG TOOL BURN. Both are excellent programs to use to burn dvds. I suggest you give IMG TOOL BURN a try.

[B]Budman62 wrote:

i know when i hook up my dvd-rw and dvd-rom as the same ribbon my dvd-rw drive doesnt work, also try setting it to secondary slave, i know everyone says set as secondary master but my plex likes it better slave to my nec 2500…haha
[/B]

I have my Plextor 708A on secondary master & Toshiba 1612 dvdrom on secondary slave. I have no problems with both of them on the same ide cable. I can burn dvds while I capture from my tv & surf the web. No coasters so far! :bigsmile:

PENT 4 2.4 GHZ CHIP, 1 GB DDRAM
PLEXTOR 708A
PLEXTOR 40X12X40 CD BURNER
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CD BURNER
TOSHIBA 1612 (2) DVDROM
TOSHIBA 1712 DVDROM
60 & 120 GB MAXTOR HARD DRIVES
CANOPUS ADVC-100 DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA 133 CONTROLLER CARD

Raven2003,

You may want to check the installed ASPI Drivers for Nero. Make sure the Nero ASPI driver is selected in the preferences setting in Nero. You should also only use Plextor Recommended media. I use Maxell 4X DVD+R media as well as TDK DVD+R media which are actually rebranded Taiyo Yuden media.

hi there!!

check your BIOS for DMA!

It might be disabled…if so…set it to automatic (primary master, slave…secondary master, slave)

i hope this helps!