Plextor PX-708

Hi,

Just got the burner. It seems that only likes certain brands of things, is that true of Plextor???

System is ASUS P4B533 Pentium IV 2.4Ghz with 1,024Mbytes of DDR RAM, 100 GIG Western Digital HD 7,200 rpm.
Operating System is WIN 2003 Enterprise Server.

Running NERO 60015, Number One DVD Ripper, DVD X Copy Express 310,etc,etc.

Tried to burn SVCD using BENQ disks, NERO comer with error at initialization, SEEK TIME LIMIT. If I use VERBATIM discs it works fine.

I have TWO LITE ON burners besides my FIRTS EXPERIENCE with PLEXTOR.

Are these BURNERS TOO CHOOSY of what you can use???

Thanks

Plextor surely can be too picky about media. Maybe a future firmware upgrade can do something about that. I advise you to browse around in this forum for more info. A lot has been said about this little Plextor ‘problem’ :wink:

The Plextor PX-708A has more problems with Nero v6.0.0.15. Please go back to Nero v5.5.10.42 or v6.0.0.11. And yes, the Plextor drives can be picky with used media. Please, if you haven’t done so already, upgrade your firmware to get better media support.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
The Plextor PX-708A has more problems with Nero v6.0.0.15. Please go back to Nero v5.5.10.42 or v6.0.0.11. And yes, the Plextor drives can be picky with used media. Please, if you haven’t done so already, upgrade your firmware to get better media support.

No problem with NERO at all. The problem is with they CHOOSY media they have.
Nero 6015, so far is ok.

THanks

Richard Sydney

Hi and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Is these discs DVD-R? It’s still limited in the DVD-R/RW area when it comes to media compatibility. But if you stick to DVD+R/RW you should be fine with most brands (may still be a few which do not work though).

And please don’t blame the drive if it do not work with one brand, there is other drives out there which do not work with many more brands.

Take the NEC ND-1300 for example, with firmware v1.05 it would not take anything beside the good and expensive…

Thankfully firmware 1.06 fixed these issues. And there will for sure be new firmware versions for the plextor to add more media to the supported media list as well.

Could you look up the manufacturer of those BENQ discs with for example dvdinfopro from www.dvdinfopro.com ?

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Hi and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Is these discs DVD-R? It’s still limited in the DVD-R/RW area when it comes to media compatibility. But if you stick to DVD+R/RW you should be fine with most brands (may still be a few which do not work though).

And please don’t blame the drive if it do not work with one brand, there is other drives out there which do not work with many more brands.

Take the NEC ND-1300 for example, with firmware v1.05 it would not take anything beside the good and expensive…

Thankfully firmware 1.06 fixed these issues. And there will for sure be new firmware versions for the plextor to add more media to the supported media list as well.

Could you look up the manufacturer of those BENQ discs with for example dvdinfopro from www.dvdinfopro.com ? [/B]

EL QUEMADOR (Richard - Sydney) THANKS. The problem is with the BENQ CD-R Gold Media Bulk discs. GOLD . I was trying to burn SVCD with NERO EXPRESS 6015. As soon as I put VERBATIM it worked PERFECT. To the point that though PLEXTOR 708A (Have the latest firmware now) is only 40 speed it was faster than the LITE ON 48 speed.
NERO has got a bigger problem with VISION EXPRESS. That one collapses always at the last minute after recoding.
It does that wiht Lite on or with Plextor and in Windows 2003 Standard Server and Enterprise and XP PRO SP1.

See ya!!!
Richard - Sydney

Completely overlooked the fact that you were speaking about CD-R discs. :o

Hope you figure everything out…