Plextor PX-240A - who make this drive and is it any good?

vbimport

Hi,

I wanted a plexwriter premium, but they are all gone or way to expensive on eBay.

So… I can get a Plextor PX-240A at a good price. Any idea who made these drives? I assume not Plextor.

Were they any good?

Is there a better CDr/w drive on the market today?

I want a dedicated CD drive.

Thanks!

Lite On rebadge Drive Don’t try it and
still out there Plextor Premium CD writer ( New Bulk )
but Very expensive.

Honestly, save your time and money and get one of the current Samsung DVDRW drives. At slow speeds I’m sure the Premium can do alittle bit better but the results with the current Samsungs is def topnotch. Unless you have to have the absolute best, in which case hunt down a Premium.

[QUOTE=chaosoffar2k;2002682]Honestly, save your time and money and get one of the current Samsung DVDRW drives. At slow speeds I’m sure the Premium can do alittle bit better but the results with the current Samsungs is def topnotch. Unless you have to have the absolute best, in which case hunt down a Premium.[/QUOTE]

Does the new Samsung drives (SH-S202 and SH-S203) support reliable CD scans? My SH-S182M does not.

The Premium II is a really great drife. You can make exellent burns with this CD burner and you can check it also :cool:

But I agree with you the new Samsung SH-S20x burners make really good burn results. I’ll excange my old LG burner with a SH-S202N when I have time.

Btw. this thread should be in the Plextor section if anybody would ask me… :bigsmile:

No, they do not. None of the MediaTek-based DVD drives scan CDs and report all the errors, to my knowledge; they only report the worst of each C1 and C2. :rolleyes: I agree with the suggestion of the Premium (2). :iagree:

What is the Premium 2? I assume Plextor.

If so how do I tell the difference between a 1 and 2? Is there a specific model code?

I have had a few Samsung DVD and they are slow and nothing to compare to my Plextor 716a or my Pioneer 112.

The only problem is that ripping CD’s on them can be hit or miss and take many tries, alas my reason for wanting a dedicated CD r/w. Are there any CD drives on the market worth buying?

Note: this would have been in the Plextor section but it says Plextor DVD and this discussion is CD.

Thanks for your help so far, I guess a $22 240a isn’t a good deal so I will let it pass. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ArtSluver;2002921]What is the Premium 2? I assume Plextor.
[/QUOTE]
Correct! Plextor Premium II :iagree:

[QUOTE=ArtSluver;2002921]
If so how do I tell the difference between a 1 and 2? Is there a specific model code?
[/QUOTE]

The Plextor Premium is the “older” drive of both Premiums. The Premium II came in 2006 or 2007 to the market. The Premium I guess 2002 or 2003. If you find a new Plextor Premium for a fair price you are lucky. The Premium II should be available in stores / online stores. Don’t ask for a shop. I’m from Germany, so I can’t tell you one.

Are there any CD drives on the market worth buying?
[/QUOTE]

The Premium II is worth buying. But it is an expensive drive. But this drive can everything you need for CD burneing includ quality scan (C1/C2/CU, Jitter/Beta, Focus + Tracking error,…)

Note: this would have been in the Plextor section but it says Plextor DVD and this discussion is CD.
[/QUOTE]

In the Plextor secton there are a lot threads with CD burner questions. One thread compares the Premium and Premium II burns. You can see how good (or bad) the Premium II burns are… :wink:

Hi,

Thanks for the informative reply. :slight_smile:

Over here in North America about the cheapest Premium is in the $150 range new. They appear to have left the marketplace a couple of years ago so just limited dead stock is surfacing keeping the price inflated.

Is there a model number I should be looking for on the bottom of them to delineate the 1 from the 2?

I have seen some black ones but the bezel doesn’t say Premium on them. So what should the sticker on the body say? Premium or Premium II? Or is there also a more specific numerical code I should be looking for?

Do you have a photo of the sticker on them? I see you have a bit of everything Plextor in your sig.

I have the 716a but it simply will not rip a CD it just buzzes, but rips and burns DVD without a hitch so I am a little hesitant to open it and see if there is the loose clip issue inside. I doubt it because from what I have read if it is loose if affects not only CD’s but DVD’s.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ArtSluver;2003083]
Over here in North America about the cheapest Premium is in the $150 range new. They appear to have left the marketplace a couple of years ago so just limited dead stock is surfacing keeping the price inflated.
[/QUOTE]

That may be possible, that the Premium is in a range of $150. At eEay - USA (a link is hiere somewhere in the forum I guess) there is a brand new Premium offered for more than $300. But this price is too high.

Is there a model number I should be looking for on the bottom of them to delineate the 1 from the 2?
I have seen some black ones but the bezel doesn’t say Premium on them. So what should the sticker on the body say? Premium or Premium II? Or is there also a more specific numerical code I should be looking for?
[/QUOTE]

The Premium and Premium II are two different drives. The Premium has a few features more (i.e. AMQR)

Link to Premium: http://www.plextor.be/products/premium.asp?choice=PlexWriter%20Premium
Link to Premium II: http://www.plextor.be/products/premium2.asp?choice=PlexWriter%20Premium2

Both of my Plextor Premium drives have the correct “marking” on the bezel. My Premium has “Premium” on the bezel, my Premium II has “Premium II” marked.

I assume you are in the US. The Premium was available with gray or black bezel. The pictures of the Plextor Premium I saw had all the marking on the bezel no matter if black or gray. The Premium II is in europe and north america only available with gray bezel. This bezel is marked with “Premium II”. Only in Japan a Premium II is available with gray, black and silver bezel.

If you would really like to get a Premium II, ask in the Plextor thread for a shop. There are a few users having the Premium II and living in the US, for this reason they must know a store :slight_smile:

Do you have a photo of the sticker on them? I see you have a bit of everything Plextor in your sig.
[/QUOTE]

Currently I’m not at home for the next two weeks, for this reason I can not take a picture. But I can tell you the sticker of the Premium definately tells you this drive is a “Premium” and the Plextor Premium II sticker tells you it is a “Premium 2”. The Premium II should be produced beween 2005 and 2007. The Premium should be around 2002-2004. Currently I do not have the accurate dates. My Premium for example is from 2003 and my Premium II is from September 2006.

I have the 716a but it simply will not rip a CD it just buzzes, but rips and burns DVD without a hitch so I am a little hesitant to open it and see if there is the loose clip issue inside. I doubt it because from what I have read if it is loose if affects not only CD’s but DVD’s.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds for me like a “Command set problem”. What software do you use for ripping. Sometimes it helps to select the “Plextor command set” or the “MMC command set”. For example CDex has the possibility of vendor specific command set selection if I remember correct. A CD should be ripped fine with PlexTools.
If your 716A is in an external housing there may be a compatibility problem with the USB/FireWire chipset. The PX-760A and Prolific 3507 has this problem. Maybe there are other compatibility issuses (My PX-716A does not make problems with PL3507)

Thanks again for your great replies, the little details will allow me to make sure I get a 2 and not a 1.

I use EAC to do my ripping.

I do not use Plextools, in fact I do not have it installed since my last fresh reformat. I found I never used it. I always use DVDdecrypter to rip DVD’s, DVDebuilder w/ CCE to reencode, and IMGBurn to burn all my burning needs. So Plextools just never got put back on the system. In fact I am not sure I even have it anymore, or could find it if I do.

Is there somewhere else where that setting can be adjusted?

Cheers!

Just an FYI, but the PX-240A is free after rebate at CompUSA (Tiger Direct):

PX-240A Drive
http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3287198

$30 Rebate (this is a different rebate from the one on the product page)
http://images.pricegrabber.com/rebates/97358.pdf

As people have said, it’s nothing special, but free is good.

Does somebody know which rebadged LiteOn is?

I own this drive more than year ago
I didn’t use after 6 to 7 CD burn :disagree:
and NO F.W update still 1.00 :a also ugly :Z lite on design front bezel without :Z Plextor logo
Pioneer or LG panasonic chipset based DVD writer is better CD burn quality than this drive :iagree:

I own this CD writer and although it isn’t a “genuine” Plextor it cost me next to nothing and reads CDs very well. Writing with Taiyo Yuden CDrs @24x isn’t bad either.

I realize I can’t test the jitter with my older re-badged Sony, but the 240a burns sound fine and play on anything.

also ugly lite on design front bezel without Plextor logo

Since when did how a drive “looks” have anything to do with it’s performance.:rolleyes: