Plextor PX-230A vs. Lite-On SOHR-5239S vs. Plextor Premium

Greetings all,

I’ve been doing a little research on updating my current set up. I want to purchase a new drive that works well with EAC for ripping Audio CDs. That’s it. If I’ve got to spend a little bank to get a decent drive, I’m willing to do it. I’ve got other drives I’ll use for burning, this one will be pure extraction.

From what I understand, Plextor was the king of CD drives for these purposes, until recently. The PX-230A is the only CDRW drive they currently sell, I was leaning towards getting of one at first, but I’m starting to think it may not be the best for archiving my Audio CDs. A lot of the stuff I’ve been reading identifies the PX-230A as a rebadged BenQ, so I’m thinking it would be wise to stay away.

Many people seem to be happy with the Lite-On SOHR-5239S. Actually as far as audio extraction is concerned, I haven’t heard anything bad about it. The only thing that’s keeping me from ordering one of these drives right now is the off chance I may be able to get my hands on a Plextor Premium. Would that drive blow both of these out of the water?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.