Plextor Premium Rocks/Sucks?

I have a Plextor Premium and i have burned some backups with BW5 and BW4. The first thing i noticed was that when its reading SafeDisk protected games it dosen’t slow down on the weak sectors it just keeps reading the same speed. Im used to slowing down when reading weak sectors so i thought it was some kind og bug in BW so i asked on of my friends (Portmac) he’s really cool about WTF was going on. He told me that it was normal with the Premium. Well i had to see how good it could backup safedisk and i was very suprised. I ran a Nero Cd Speed Surface Scan test and noticed that it actually did READ the weak sectors. It only reported them as damaged where my liteon reported them as unreadable. Then i read and burned a cd image with bw 4 and then scanned the burned cd with Cd Speed to my suprise this time there was NO weak sectors at all. Is this a PERFECT backup of safedisk 2.5? I tried it on 4 computers it works like the original. Actually i mean that one of them got through tha safedisk check faster then the original!!!

plex premium will back up to sd 2.8 no problems…and yes it has fast error scan built in…new liteons have it also.

safedisk 2.9 is a bit more problematic but the new version of the beta 4.9.9.102 does a pretty damn perfect backup with the plex premium…

and dont forget the 1:1 backup capability of securerom 4.8x that only the plex premium can do…

The new PlexWriter 52/24/52A and the 52/32/52 2Mb version, do they the same job for SecurRom and Safedisc 2.9 in combination with BW5 ?
Or do you realy need a full PlexWriter Premium ?
Anyone any experience ?

for a pure copy of securerom 4.8x the plex premium and one other plex drive i beleive are the only ones that can back it up 100%…but i dont think its the 2 you mentioned i think its their new DVDRW drive…which copies both + and - dvds by the way and is excellant…little expensive at 250$ though…but its a plex!

Is it the Plextor PoweRec Technology that makes the difference ?

Actually I don’t think that is true that the new DVD recorder will do securom 1:1. Here is a quote.
BTW Vice City uses securom.

Reaction Posted by G@M3FR3@K on 10 October 2003 - 18:35 | Moderated @ 1 | react
OC-Freak did test that and the information is available on the Plextor Forum. Here’s a quote from what OC-Freak e-mailed me a while ago:

[QUOTE][i]Tried blindwrite 4.5.7 today.

The sims: superstar - backup works in most drives (Lite-On LTD-165H and some others) but not in my default and picky test unit: Toshiba SD-M1502.

A perfect backup should work in the toshiba

GTA: Vice city do still not work at all.

[/i][/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Jamos
for a pure copy of securerom 4.8x the plex premium and one other plex drive i beleive are the only ones that can back it up 100%…but i dont think its the 2 you mentioned i think its their new DVDRW drive…which copies both + and - dvds by the way and is excellant…little expensive at 250$ though…but its a plex!

you could be right i know they have 2 plexs out there that will do it one is the premium im not sure on the other model.

I just made a backup of Battlefield Secret Weapons using BW 4.9.9.104 with my old Plexwriter PX W1210A (12/10/32) and the backup runs on my SONY DVD DDU1612 (player) but not on my PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105 (installed on the same PC).

So elder Plexwriters seem to be able to backup safedisc 2.9 !!!

Originally posted by ali001
[B]I just made a backup of Battlefield Secret Weapons using BW 4.9.9.104 with my old Plexwriter PX W1210A (12/10/32) and the backup runs on my SONY DVD DDU1612 (player) but not on my PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105 (installed on the same PC).

So elder Plexwriters seem to be able to backup safedisc 2.9 !!! [/B]

as they prolly should…but you could also get it to work on your pioneer prolly if you installed the autoplay 2 standalone installer on that computer which hides atip amoung other things. you would have to burn it with autoplay enabled but it prolly is burned with that as its defaulted to it.

the advantage of the premium isnt the safedisk backup capabilities its the securerom 4.8x capabilities.:wink: