Plextor Premium preview @ HardWareZone

vbimport

HardWareZone.com has posted a preview of the Plextor Premium drive. Seems to be a winner! Read more info here:

[i]We love this new Plextor Premium drive to bits, there’s no doubt about that. Excellent read and Digital Audio Extraction performance have always been a hallmark of Plextor, and the Premium drive continues that proud tradition in our benchmarks. On the other hand, Plextor’s drives have been known to be very fussy with the type of media used. But with the new Premium, Plextor seems to have done some significant media compatibility improvements into its firmware.

While it isn’t the fastest 52x-write drive on the planet, we think that the trade-off in speed can be attributed to Plextor’s attention to quality writing. And with the demise of Yamaha’s CD-RW business, there is no other vendor that stresses so much on quality writing as much as Plextor now. That said, the Premium’s re-writing capabilities were pretty astounding judging from the results in our series of burning tests. And that was done on a 24x CD-RW media, so it can only get better if we’d ran it on a 32x CD-RW disc.[/i]

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
HardWareZone.com has posted a preview of the Plextor Premium drive. Seems to be a winner!
Just a couple of brief notes to their preview.

1. Are those “freaky” guys not capable of adjusting the max speed value of the graph’s scale…

:Z

…e.g. like this ?

1. It’s written underneath the graph : [COLOR=darkred]“With CD-R writing, the Premium writer adopts the F-CAV writing strategy”

Is this the 4th writing strategy discovered , or they, like, prefer to call CAV like that, i.e. Full-CAV ? :rolleyes:
Or in their case the “F” perhaps stands for something else ? :wink:

1. Further,

" With 24 re-writing, the drive adopts the P-CAV strategy. But Nero have mis-labelled it as CLV."

:confused: What’s shown here is clearly CLV to me, even if the drive starts @22x.
So, I guess it’s the HwZ experts who have mis-labelled it as P-CAV.

PCAV is supposed to look like this :

1. " At an estimated pricing of S$230 (or lesser), the Plextor Premium may seem like an expensive investment…"

Well, according to the Plextor statement ( FREMONT, Calif. — April 14, 2003 ) >

" The Premium drive has a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $129.00 USD. "
[/COLOR]

:smiley:

I agree with you on point 1, 2 and 4 but point 3 is P-CAV although the next graph you posted looks more like the ‘definition’ of P-CAV.

Are the same but in the first graph the drive switches to CLV (way) sooner than in the second graph. Well at least that’s my opinion. It’s not that important…

:wink:

What’s shown here is clearly CLV to me, even if the drive starts @22x.
So, I guess it’s the HwZ experts who have mis-labelled it as P-CAV
it’s P-CAV. Even 23.5x-24x would be P-CAV.

BTW: Their firmare was 0.xxx, meaning that it is alpha / beta state.

Maybe 32x rewriting on Mitsubishi media is possible with a real firmware

Dennis,

What is CLV/CAV/Z-CLV/P-CAV ?
Posted by G@M3FR3@K on Thursday, June 6 2002

When you read our reviews and some of our news posts on new writers, you will often encounter terms like ‘CLV, CAV, Z-CLV and P-CAV’.

CLV: Constant Linear Velocity
The disc is read/written at a constant speed.

CAV: Constant Angular Velocity
The disc is read/written at a constantly increasing speed.

P-CAV: Partial-Constant Angular Velocity
The disc is being read/written at an increasing speed until a certain point (speed). After this point the speed will not increase anymore and remain at this speed.

Z-CLV: Zone-Constant Linear Velocity
The disc is divided into zones. After each zone the write speed is increased (note that the Z-CLV mode is not used when reading a disc)

My definition sound perfectly fine to me when I look at the graph??

P-CAV: Partial-Constant Angular Velocity
The disc is being read/written at an increasing speed until a certain point (speed). After this point the speed will not increase anymore and remain at this speed.

You see the speed increasing at the beginning of the disc from 21.5x to 24x and then it stops increasing the speed: P-CAV.

Originally posted by alexnoe

it’s P-CAV. Even 23.5x-24x would be P-CAV.

CLV (Constant Linear Velocity)

The data transfer rate is kept at a fixed level by changing the rotation speed
( which is exactly ( or almost exactly ) what is shown in their graph ).

P-CAV (Partial Constant Angular Velocity) is a combination of CLV and CAV.

The transfer rate increases until the drive reaches its maximum speed (CAV). From that point the drive will slow down and the transfer rate will be constant (CLV).
Because P-CAV drives reach their maximum speed much sooner than CAV drives, the average transfer rate should be higher.

The disc is being read/written at an increasing speed until a certain point (speed).
And it is not the least bit important where this point is. It may be 1 min, 5 mins or 79 mins.
( which is exactly ( or almost exactly ) what is shown in their graph ).
definitions don’t allow “almost”, unless it is clearly defined what “almost” means (such as, in mathematical context, it means “all (an infinite but countable number of elements) except for a finit number of elements)”

It would only be CLV if the drive started the write process at 24x in my opinion/understanding of the different read/write methods.

its P-CAV without a doubt.

personally im more intersted i how it performs with the reading and writing of subchannel data and regular bit patterns then how the drive writes it.
if it performs better as the 40/12/40S its going to be intresting to buy one.

Screw all the CAV & Copy Protection rubbish :slight_smile:

When they gonna reveal how well GIGAREC works and the read compatability with existing hardware?

That’s what I want to know!!

I’ve received 2 mails as follows :

Hello BoSkin,

Interesting discussion :wink:

This is a very unusual graph. Normally it’s easy to see if the drive uses
CLV or P-CAV.
CD Speed sees the first part as a glitch in the graph and therefore assumes
the write mode is CLV.

But when you’re actually running the test you can hear the drive spinning at
full speed during the first part which means it’s running in CAV mode at
that position.
As soon as the graph goes flat you can hear the rpm decrease (CLV mode).
So even though the CAV part is unusually small, the drive is actually using
P-CAV mode.

Best regards,

Erik Deppe
Nero Toolkit Developer

Dear Sir,

thank you for your email.

I can confirm to you that the Premium unit writes P-CAV 20-24x as specified on our products specification page on www.plextor.be.
This is also reflected in PlexTools that is bundled with the Premium unit.

Kindly regards,

Marc Van der Aa - service manager

So, it looks like I’ve been mistaken and am sorry for that !

:bow:

Edit I still have the right to remain faithful to my opinion,
of which the above mentioned parties have been notified.
If this is just a pure bug of Nero CD Speed, then why there seems to be nothing done to get rid of it ?
If this is a Plextor FW’s failure to be able to start @24x and therefore to be called CLV,
then it’s just a matter of time till it’s be fixed.

I should add that “20x-24x” actually counts the leadin as the beginning of the disc. CD Speed starts at the beginning of the data track, where the drive has already reached something like 22x.
I wonder why CD Speed does not start the measurement at the beginning of the leadin (would be easy when simulating in RAW mode)

Originally posted by BoSkin
So, it looks like I’ve been mistaken and am sorry for that !
No problem m8. Glad we have it sorted now: it’s P-CAV :wink: