Plextor Premium - Load-Eject times

vbimport

12 seconds to load a cd?!Is this normal? And it behaves like this with all the cds I tried. Please help…

Checked the PlexTools, Drive Settings, Silent Mode settings?

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Checked the PlexTools, Drive Settings, Silent Mode settings?

Yes, Silent Mode disabled, everything is on default settings.
It just takes more than 12 seconds to recognize a cd!

Hmm have you ever used the Silent Mode option? If so try clearing the PlexTools registry settings (Options, Preferences, General, Clear Registry Settings).

If the Silent Mode option is not the problem here then please report back and also mention some more information. E.g. what kind of computer system you have, installed software. Also tell us some more about the problem itself. Did the problem just occur or has the drive always done this. What kind of discs are you trying to read? Do you have any other drives installed in your system and if so, do they have the same problem?

[B]Hmm have you ever used the Silent Mode option? If so try clearing the PlexTools registry settings (Options, Preferences, General, Clear Registry Settings).

If the Silent Mode option is not the problem here then please report back and also mention some more information. E.g. what kind of computer system you have, installed software. Also tell us some more about the problem itself. Did the problem just occur or has the drive always done this. What kind of discs are you trying to read? Do you have any other drives installed in your system and if so, do they have the same problem? [/B]

No, never used Silent Mode. I got my plextor yesterday (and a Toshiba M1712 (cd-dvd reader)), and both have this problem.
My config: Pentium IV 2.53 Ghz
512 MB DDR
Asus P4PE
2X Maxtor HD 60GB

The problem ALWAYS happens with EVERY CD. (burned some data on a 48X Maxell XL-S, then I tried with that burned cd and…nothing changes)

Since both drives have the same problem I think it’s safe to conclude that your Premium drive itself is not the problem. What kind of burning software have you got installed. Any software with a Hide CDR Media function that could be enabled? Any software that you can think of that could be interfering?

Your Toshiba drive, did it always have this problem or did it happen after installing the Premium drive?

[B]Since both drives have the same problem I think it’s safe to conclude that your Premium drive itself is not the problem. What kind of burning software have you got installed. Any software with a Hide CDR Media function that could be enabled? Any software that you can think of that could be interfering?

Your Toshiba drive, did it always have this problem or did it happen after installing the Premium drive? [/B]

The Toshiba drive alone has the problem. I only use Nero (latest version) and there’s no burning software installed that could hide CDR media. I really think that the problem is not the Plextor drive nor the Toshiba. It’s something with my pc, but I dunno what!! :a

Could it be chipset/bus drivers and/or DMA?

Originally posted by Hemispasm
Could it be chipset/bus drivers and/or DMA?

Chipset driver is installed correctly, but I dunno where to find the bus drivers, since there’s no trace of them in the motherboard’s cd and even online.

Since the problem is not Plextor related this thread should be moved to another forum so that other people can also help you. I don’t know what could be causing the problem since it’s software/driver related and thus many things could be causing the slow recognition times. DMA is enabled for all your drives? Which drivers are you using for your chipset, the Intel Application Accelerator ones? If so, try updating them to the latest version.

Yep Dennis this might be better off in the General Hardware forum.

Tudos Give a bit more info about your motherboard. If it is Intel based you might consider installing the latest version of Intel Application Accelerator and/or controller drivers both available somewhere here.

If it is Via based, you might install the latest 4in1 Via drivers here.