Plextor Premium - Inserted CD is not empty

vbimport

(new to CDFreaks)

If you’ve seen this before and have fixed it, I’m all ears!

I get a “inserted CD is not empty” message with my new Plextor Premuim. It has never been successfully written-to, except for the self-diag. It reads cd’s perfectly.

I hope this is not a major breech of etiquette… Here’s a compilation of my emails with Plextor support, who have thus far been patient with me, but may have lost interest (haven’t heard from them in two days):

===my initial question===
I’ve just installed my 52-32-52 Plexwriter Premium internal CD-RW (s/n 505384149146 July 2003), along with PlexTools Professional v2.01. I’m getting the following error when using AudioCD Maker:
“inserted CD is not empty”

A similar error occurs when I try using Nero Burning ROM v6: “this disc is not writable”, “please insert a writable disc”. (this occurs when attempting to write audio or data).

I’ve tried using the one supplied Verbatim 94521, Sony 5CRM80L2, and Maxell 80min (50-cakebox). I realize the later two do not show up on your compatibility list. The discs were all fresh out of the box - have never been previously inserted.

I believe the drive is reading correctly…I used it to install Plextools.

My system:
Win98SE 4.10.2222
AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 512MB DDR RAM
MSI KT3 Ultra KT333+ M/B
ITE IT8212 ATA IDE Controller (second controller)
M/B controller connected to 4 IDE HDD’s (two ports)
Secondary controller connected to Plextor Premium (Master) and MadDog MD-16XDVD9 (Slave)
Secondary controller 2nd port not used

I could not find any relevant information on your website.

===Plextor reply===
Please run a drive selftest as outlined in the Troubleshooting section of your manual, using supported media. What are the results of that test?
http://plextor.com/english/support/faqs/HW00008.htm
http://plextor.com/english/support/faqs/HW00003.htm
http://plextor.com/english/support/support_compatability.html
Appendix A in your PlexWriter manual usually has media recommendations, too.

For info on media quality please check out: http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

The selftest will blink the amber and green lights alternately for up to an hour while the test is being performed. At the end of the test, the tray will eject, and/or there will be a flashing light pattern from the front panel LEDs. This pattern is important for us to know, as it’s a diagnostic code.

===my reply===
OK, I’ve ran the diagnostic test, using my one compatible blank CD-R (note: it was really blank). The test passed - after about 10 minutes or so, the tray ejected and no light was lit. During the test the light flashed green/orange.

converting CD to a coaster…

===Plextor reply===
Since the drive passed the self test we know the drive is working properly. We’ll need to look into possible hardware or system troubles to find what is causing your difficulties.

Please uninstall ALL the CD-R software on your system. Then delete all CDROM entries from Device Manager.

Reboot your system. Your drive will be autodetected when you restart.

We need to do some troubleshooting, and you have to be our eyes here and describe fully what’s happening. We want you to use the Roxio software we provide with the drive when troubleshooting, as we are most familiar with that and we know it does work with your drive since it was provided along with it.

There are several steps following. Please perform each in sequence, and if you have a problem, STOP! Then email us back with the details of the problem and the EXACT messages you see on your screen.

Make sure your drive can read discs properly if you’ve not run into any errors so far.

If that works ok, then please use the built in XP features to record a CDR disc. If you are not using XP, then you can skip this step.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q279/1/57.ASP gives info on how to record a disc in XP.

http://aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm also has good info on recording in XP.

If all is well, install Easy CD Creator. Reboot. Install the Easy CD/DVD Creator update from http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxio_support/software_updates.jhtml

Note that you must have ECDC 5.1 or later if you are using XP, as earlier versions are not XP compatible.

Reboot. Try creating a disc with Easy CD/DVD Creator. It should all work ok now.

===my reply===
Well it didn’t seem to do much good…but it did manage to eat up about 4 hours of my time. The attached file has my notes (which get progressively derogatory - good reading for any trainee’s you may have there).

Please don’t recommend a system re-format or OS upgrade…I won’t go there. Any other suggestions are welcome.

===Plextor reply===

1. Install and upgrade to ASPI version 4.60(1021), the file is on your software disc
    **Before upgrading you will need to remove all recording software
  2. after removing, upgrading ASPI then reinstall Plextools upgrade to 2.19A from www.plextools.com and see if this helped

===my reply===
Little or no progress.

Final config is ASPI 4.71.1, plextools pro 2.19A, CD cable connectors swapped.

I’ll spare you the long text log I’ve been making…just tonight’s entries:

ROUND II 2/9/05 ##### DING, DING

I’M TOLD TO REMOVE ALL CD WRITING SOFTWARE AND GET ASPI 4.60(1021) LOADED
BACKING UP 10 STEPS…UNINSTALLING THE ROXIO MIRACLE-WARE
FROM ADD/REMOVE PROG’S - UNINSTALLED “EASY CD & DVD CREATOR 6”
(ACTUALLY I ENJOYED THIS PART)
REBOOTED 2/9/05
RAN M:\Drivers\ASPI\ASPI_460\Aspiinst.exe FROM PLEXWRITER CD
I’M GUESSING THIS IS CORRECT, FROM THE SUPPORT EMAIL…IT SAYS:

1. Install and upgrade to ASPI version 4.60(1021), the file is on your software disc
    **Before upgrading you will need to remove all recording software
  2. after removing, upgrading ASPI then reinstall Plextools upgrade to 2.19A from
    www.plextools.com and see if this helped
    WHEN I RAN THE ASPI_460 FILE…IT SAYS IT’S (BUILD) 1017.
    REBOOTED 2/9/05
    SO M:\Drivers\ASPI\ASPI_460\aspichk.exe TELLS ME I’VE GOT:
    WNASPI32.DLL, 4.60(1017), 11/12/98, 48128 BYTES
    WINASPI.DLL, 4.60(1017), 11/12/98, 5600 BYTES
    APIX.VXD, 4.60(1017), 11/12/98, 23115 BYTES
    ASPIENUM.VXD, 4.60(1017), 11/12/98, 7743 BYTES
    “ASPI IS PROPERLY INSTALLED ANS IS FULLY OPERATIONAL”
    “ONE HOST ADAPTER HAS BEEN DETECTED” <- THIS WORRIES ME…I’VE GOT 2
    I DON’T SEE BUILD 1021 ON THE 2 PLEXTOR CD’S…PROCEEDING WITH BUILD 1017
    INSTALLED PLEXTOOLS PRO 2.01 FROM CD
    REBOOTED 2/9/05
    PLEXTOOLS HAS SNUGGLED INTO MY TOOLBAR.
    MIGHT AS WELL SEE IF WE’RE STILL SPITTING OUT COASTERS
    I NOTICE THAT ONCE A BLANK CD IS INSERTED IN THE PLEXTOR, THE WIN HOURGLASS
    CYCLES ON-OFF EVERY 3 SEC OR SO. I’M SURE THIS IS A GOOD SIGN THAT
    THE SOFTWARE IS COMPLETED HOSED. I SEE THAT IN PROCESS EXPLORER
    THIS IS REALLY A CYCLING OF MSGSRV32.EXE, WHICH CALLS:
    ADVAPI32.DLL
    GDI32.DLL
    KERNEL32.DLL
    MPR.DLL
    MSH_ZWF.DLL
    USER32.DLL
    (ALL M/S APPS)
    THE CPU USAGE HISTORY CHART LOOKS LIKE HEAVY WHITE NOISE
    ON THE PLEXTOOLS SCREEN, THE MESSAGE BAR FLASHES SUBLIMINALS - “READING DISC INFORMATION
    FROM DRIVE M:” - I THINK - OR WAS IT “KILL YOUR MOTHER”?
    REMOVING THE BLANK AND INSTALLING A USED CD ALLOWED THE DISTURBING MESSAGES TO LEAVE
    SO I INSERTED A DIFFERENT BRAND OF BLANK CD…SAME DISTURBING MESSAGES - MY HEAD HURTS
    CLOSING PLEXTOOLS - I CAN’T TAKE ANYMORE
    LET’S TRY THE UPGRADE TO 2.19 (SKIPPING ASPI BUILD 1021 - BIG MISTAKE?)
    RUNNING PTP219AUEN.exe
    HEY HEY - REBOOT TIME AGAIN
    REBOOTED 2/9/05
    PLEXTOOLS 2.19A IS NOW INSTALLED…LET’S TRY THE BLANK DISC TRICK AGAIN
    ODD, IT DID THE SUBLIMINAL THINGY AGAIN, BUT ONLY A FEW TIMES…THEN UNRESPONSIVE.
    WELL THIS IS FUN. CAN’T GET START BUTTON RESPONSE. THE ONLY APP THAT SEEMS TO
    RESPOND IS NOTEPAD (WHAT YOU’RE READING). ALL ELSE IS D E A D; EVEN AFTER DISC
    REMOVED. IT ACTUALLY GOT WORSE THAN 2.01. GUESS I NEED TO UNINSTALL AND START
    OVER - SCOURING THE INTERNET FOR BUILD 1021 OF ASPI.
    DID AN END-TASK ON PLEXTOOLS. PC NOW FUNCTIONS.
    UNINSTALLED PLEXTOOLS USING ADD/REMOVE PROGS
    REBOOTED 2/9/05
    THE ADAPTEC SITE HAS NO LISTING FOR ASPI 4.60. THEY DO HAVE ASPI 4.70, WHICH IS SHOWN
    TO SUPPORT WIN98 (SAYS 4.60 IS FOR WIN 95 ONLY - BUT NO LINKS) - 4.70 IS
    GIVEN ON THE PLEXTOR CD…ASSUME SUPPORT EMAIL WAS WRONG? LET’S CAST CAUTION
    TO THE WIND AND INSTALL 4.70 FROM PLEXTOR DISC.
    RUNNING M:\Drivers\ASPI\ASPI_471\ASPIINST.EXE (JUST LIKE THE BAT FILE WOULD FOR A
    WIN98 SYSTEM)
    DAMN THAT WAS QUICK…REBOOT TIME.
    REBOOTED 2/9/05
    ASPICHECK SAYS I’VE GOT:
    APIX.VXD, 4.71.1, 27723 BYTES
    WNASPI32.DLL, 4.71.1 45056 BYTES
    REINSTALLING PLEXTOOLS 2.01
    REBOOTED 2/9/05
    JUMPING RIGHT INTO UPGRADED PLEXTOOLS 2.19A
    REBOOTED 2/9/05
    OK, PLEXTOOLS BACK IN AT 2.19A.
    PLEX DRIVE STILL DOING THE JEDI MIND-TRICK.
    PUT A BLANK IN THE MADDOG - NO FLICKERING STUFF.
    USED PLEXTOOLS TO BURN TO MADDOG - PROG WON’T LET ME SELECT MADDOG DRIVE TO BURN.
    SWITCHED BLANK TO PLEXTOR…“INSERTED CD IS NOT BLANK”.
    TIME TO PLAY HARDBALL…
    SWICTHING CONNECTORS ON THE 2 CDROMS
    SHUTDOWN, SWITCHED CONNECTORS
    REBOOTED 2/9/05
    THE PLOT THICKENS…
    STARTED PLEXTOOLS AND THREW IN A BLANK RIGHT AWAY…PROGRAM FROZE…HAD TO END-TASK.
    RESTARTED PLEXTOOLS…INSERTED A NON-BLANK DISC…LOCKED UP AGAIN (SOLID AMBER LIGHT).
    NOTICED MSGSVR32 WAS NOT RESPONDING WHILE I STARTED TO END-TASK PLEXTOOLS
    END-TASKED PLEXTOOLS
    FAIRLY LONG FREEZE…EXPLORER CRASHED…SYSTEM BACK NOW.
    MAYBE I’VE GOT A CABLE PROBLEM.
    IT IS A NEW UNPROVEN CABLE.
    ROUND TYPE FOR AIR FLOW.
    DESIGNED FOR CABLE-SELECT??? CONNECTORS LABELED MASTER & SLAVE.
    WHEN I DID THE SWITCH, LABELS NO LONGER MATCHED MASTER & SLAVE CD’S.
    CSEL IS NOT ENABLED ON EITHER DRIVE.
    REBOOTED 2/9/05
    THAT’S ENOUGH FOR TONIGHT…3+ HRS

Well, the msgsrv32.exe thrashing that was occurring is fixed. Both CD’s were set to autoinsert notification ON. It looks like this is a default setting in plextools pro, so if your not careful you’ll set notification ON if you go into preferences, select the tab (that has the autoplay options} then exit preferences by hitting ok.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to have any bearing on my problem with “inserted cd is not empty”.

The solution is very simple: move the drive to the motherboard controller.
Please do not to post too many details next time you got a problem: be brief and to the point.

Thanx Never_Again, I’ll give it a try.

I have problems being verbose! Actually I had a couple of well written paragraphs all typed up in a post, then went to preview it and lost it. Got so mad I figured I’de just do a quick and dirty cut & paste.

I’m also finding numerous ASPI references on my harddrives. I’ll be tracking these leftovers and uninstalling lots of old software. I used to use SCSI CD’s, but I’ve finally broken down and went IDE. SCSI’s always been so much more $$$ and getting harder to find w/o mailorder.

i didn’t read your whole initial post…sorry. you have upgraded to 2.19a i see. do you have any emulation software installed i.e Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120% or anything of that sort? sometimes when “hide CD-R” media is enabled in an emulation program it results in the blanks not being recognized by various burning programs.

Never_again, you were certainly right, attaching both CD’s to secondary port on m/b fixes it. WHEEEEE! Now if I can just get my 3rd & 4th HDD’s working again… :slight_smile:

Drpino, looks like a hardware issue. Thanx for responding.

Going after issues with the ITE8212 card now…but that’s off-subject.

good luck.