Plextor Premium burning issues 4x

i have had this problem for some time and have not addressed it.
no matter what type of cd i use…verbatim, fuji film, memorex, tdk…etc… when a burn is higher than 4x i get a successful disc that cannot be read in any drive i own…computer locks up …i was wondering if there is a ‘reset to defaults’ in plex tools??

iam using the 1.06 firmware

i have a msi cr-52 which can burn the same image with no problems…i am stumped

any suggestions are much appreciated…might have to keep this drive only for backing up securom and reading now!!!

try reflashing the firmware with a freshly downloaded copy of the flasher…uninstall plextools first, then reinstall after the reflash…

What’s the media you’re using? Any chance to try the Premium drive in another computer? That’s would be the easiest way to track down if it’s a system related problem or a hardware related problem. Let us know!

first comp i had it on was with an Asus A7n8x-e deluxe motherboard / nforce ultra 400 and was burning fine then out of no-where …burns at 8x were not being read in windows and locking up the comp…even when i could get a successful burn i would run a nero sector scan; which comes up with red squares not green…then i thought maybe i should put it in another comp…

that comp has a VIA KT400 chipset and does the same thing…i thought it was software and tried different programs like …discjuggler …nero…Blindwrite with the same results…sometimes successful burns with bad tocs or a coaster…

my memory is correct i didnt use any 3rd party flashes…just official plextor flashes…

i feel it might be corrupt hardware components like…being vibrated during lan party trips or dust…etc…

if worse comes to worse ill use the drive for SecuRom backups and reading images and buy a p40a dvd drive for other backups…

of all burners and cdroms i own this is a first…i guess probability has a hand in this…!!

Well if the drive does the same thing on two completely different systems then it’s most likely that there is a hardware problem. Is your drive still under warranty? If so, contact Plextor. If not, you can try opening the drive and checking its laser. Of course, be very careful when you do so but that almost goes without saying :wink: Good luck and let us know if it works.

thanks for the info G@m3fr3@k

I have a question about the overburning ability in the plextor drives. Can a normal cd overburned to more than 800mb be read on any portable and non portable cd players?

overburned and/or GigaRec’d CDs playability is totally dependent on each individual drive’s ability to read out of spec CDs…you just need to try it with your particular player/drive/discman etc to find out…

Ok, thanks. So all the plextor cd writers from the first one ever made support this GigaRecord method? How many percentage of cd players support these disks?

don’t know if all plextor writers support GigaRec…and don’t know any percentages…

others here can probably elaborate more than i…

The only Plextor drives that support GigaRec are:

Premium
PX-712A (and related)
PX-716A (and related)
PX-760A (and related)

When it comes to reading GigaRec discs I don’t know for sure which Plextor drives support it but the PX-708A for instance, is able to read GigaRec (1.4x) discs.