Plextor Premium and Securom 4.8+

I did a search and I learned that Plextor Premium+Blindwrite 4.5+ can make “perfect” copies of securom 4.8+ protected games. Then I remember reading that it’s not exactly “perfect”. I’m wondering what does that mean?

Btw I’m also confused with the Plextor FAQ and people’s responses here…Can the plextor premium make perfect copies of all safedisc protected games? Like from Safedisc 2.8 and all the way to safedisc 3? Thx

Well it’s not completely perfect because when you play the back-up from a CD_writer you still need BlindWrite’s autoplay feature I think. This is because of the ATIP protection that check if the inserted disc is a CD-R disc. There is no way around this. But the Premium is the only drive so far that can copy SecuRom 4.8. More information here.

Copying SafeDisc 2 and 3 is also possible, but again when playing from a CD-writer you need a tool that ‘hides the CD-R media’. More information on the Premium and SafeDisc 3 can be found here.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
[B]Well it’s not completely perfect because when you play the back-up from a CD_writer you still need BlindWrite’s autoplay feature I think. This is because of the ATIP protection that check if the inserted disc is a CD-R disc. There is no way around this. But the Premium is the only drive so far that can copy SecuRom 4.8. More information here.

Copying SafeDisc 2 and 3 is also possible, but again when playing from a CD-writer you need a tool that ‘hides the CD-R media’. More information on the Premium and SafeDisc 3 can be found here. [/B]

But if I play the copy from a DVD drive, I don’t need Blindwrite’s autoplay feature right? It kinda sounds like safedisc protected games anyway. You need to tick that option to hide the CD-R media anyway when playing under a burner.

Yes that is correct. If you have a ‘perfect’ copy then you don’t need help from software to play it. But there is no way around hiding the media when playing from a burner (or any other ATIP capable reader). SafeDisc uses the same ATIP checks as SecuRom.

So if I understand you right, I need a copy of BlindWrite on every computer that needs to play back a SecoROm backed up disc. I am asking because I have a Plextor Premium on my computer and on my kid’s computer an older SCSI Ultraplex Plextor CD-ROM drive. I was planning to buy BW to make up a backup copy of “Thomas & Friends” CD game that I bought for my kids to play on their computer. If I install BW on my computer and make a copy (protected by SecuRom 4.8x) then I need to purchase another copy of BW to install on my kid’s computer? IS there such a thing as a BW reader like Acrobat Reader that can be installed on other computers. I hate to pay for the software twice but if I have to then I have to.

I’m probably gonna buy a Plextor 52x, but it’s not the Premium. I was told that the only differences were that it did CDRW 24x instead of 32x and that it didn’t have some of the extras (GigaRec and so on…) but that they are the same internaly. The 24x thing is to give the Premium a ‘plus’ to it so there is more of a difference between them, but… is this all true and can it copy the same as the Premium does (SD2.9,etc) or is this incorrect?

PD: Can I hack the non premium to a premium with the firmware? I’m not gonna try it, but just to know…

Originally posted by fmuakkassa
So if I understand you right, I need a copy of BlindWrite on every computer that needs to play back a SecoROm backed up disc. I am asking because I have a Plextor Premium on my computer and on my kid’s computer an older SCSI Ultraplex Plextor CD-ROM drive. I was planning to buy BW to make up a backup copy of “Thomas & Friends” CD game that I bought for my kids to play on their computer. If I install BW on my computer and make a copy (protected by SecuRom 4.8x) then I need to purchase another copy of BW to install on my kid’s computer? IS there such a thing as a BW reader like Acrobat Reader that can be installed on other computers. I hate to pay for the software twice but if I have to then I have to.

Ok without sounding rude, let’s take this from the basics.

Firstly securom protected games:

Ever since from version 4.8x securom has manage to create a protected cd that consists of a physical key imprinted on the cd at manufacturing. In other words it has been stamped with a unique code (sector ranges) and whenever you play the game it searches to see whether or not these ranges are in the right place Also as an added level of protection the cd is given an atip checker which all cd-rs have (it’s a section on the disc that stores specifics about that type of media, ie manufacturer, size, etc) All cd-rs have them so by checking this everytime, a game can know if it’s a real copy (no atip) or a cd-r (with an atip). If it finds an atip then it will not work as it now knows the cd you are trying to play with is a copy. The thing about the atip is that, it is only writers who look for it as a cd-rom doesn’t need to know because it is only used when burning cds.
To cut along story short, if you play your copied cd in a cd-rom you will not need an atip “hider” but you will in a writer.
The plex premium has some fancy techniques that lets you make a near to perfect copy as you can with a securom image but because it cannot physically change a cd to the same ranges as the original cd it will NEVER be perfect (1:1)

Now on to safedisc 2/3.x:

This has the exact same atip checker as securom so again your backup will work in a cd-rom no probs (without outside help) but if you play it in your writer you will need the atip “hider”(commonly known as autoplay by blindwite, hide cd-r media by clonecd… and so on)
Other great features of sd is that it introduces week sectors (false information) that must be written correctly for your backup to work, hence the common terms “can write/almost write regular bit patterns correctly” (2 sheep burner, 1 sheep burner) or correct efm encoding" used a lot on this forum…

But that’s not the question here (that can be another lesson) Hope this helps, and by searching these forums you will find lots and lots of info about it.

oops after all that i forgot to answer your question :o

No you won’t need to buy bw again as bw is just the copying tool.

If you want to play it on your sons computer in a writer you will need an atip hider (there is a standalone version of bw’s autoplay on their website)
or
if you are playing the cd from a cd-rom then you are good to go without any additional help from 3rd party applications.

Much great information can be found here

Originally posted by hburrows83
[B]Ok without sounding rude, let’s take this from the basics.

Firstly securom protected games:

Ever since from version 4.8x securom has manage to create a protected cd that consists of a physical key imprinted on the cd at manufacturing. In other words it has been stamped with a unique code (sector ranges) and whenever you play the game it searches to see whether or not these ranges are in the right place Also as an added level of protection the cd is given an atip checker which all cd-rs have (it’s a section on the disc that stores specifics about that type of media, ie manufacturer, size, etc) All cd-rs have them so by checking this everytime, a game can know if it’s a real copy (no atip) or a cd-r (with an atip). If it finds an atip then it will not work as it now knows the cd you are trying to play with is a copy. The thing about the atip is that, it is only writers who look for it as a cd-rom doesn’t need to know because it is only used when burning cds.
To cut along story short, if you play your copied cd in a cd-rom you will not need an atip “hider” but you will in a writer.
The plex premium has some fancy techniques that lets you make a near to perfect copy as you can with a securom image but because it cannot physically change a cd to the same ranges as the original cd it will NEVER be perfect (1:1)

Now on to safedisc 2/3.x:

This has the exact same atip checker as securom so again your backup will work in a cd-rom no probs (without outside help) but if you play it in your writer you will need the atip “hider”(commonly known as autoplay by blindwite, hide cd-r media by clonecd… and so on)
Other great features of sd is that it introduces week sectors (false information) that must be written correctly for your backup to work, hence the common terms “can write/almost write regular bit patterns correctly” (2 sheep burner, 1 sheep burner) or correct efm encoding" used a lot on this forum…

But that’s not the question here (that can be another lesson) Hope this helps, and by searching these forums you will find lots and lots of info about it. [/B]

With that same logic there, then even if I successfully copy a sd 2.8 or sd 2.9 protected game, then it’s still not consider perfect even though I can run it w/o a no-cd patch. I guess as long as it’s playable on any CD-rom/DVD-rom drive and I don’t need to use any crack .exes, I’m happy already.

Originally posted by heffeque
[B]I’m probably gonna buy a Plextor 52x, but it’s not the Premium. I was told that the only differences were that it did CDRW 24x instead of 32x and that it didn’t have some of the extras (GigaRec and so on…) but that they are the same internaly. The 24x thing is to give the Premium a ‘plus’ to it so there is more of a difference between them, but… is this all true and can it copy the same as the Premium does (SD2.9,etc) or is this incorrect?

PD: Can I hack the non premium to a premium with the firmware? I’m not gonna try it, but just to know… [/B]

Anyone?

Originally posted by Sgt_Strider
With that same logic there, then even if I successfully copy a sd 2.8 or sd 2.9 protected game, then it’s still not consider perfect even though I can run it w/o a no-cd patch. I guess as long as it’s playable on any CD-rom/DVD-rom drive and I don’t need to use any crack .exes, I’m happy already.

Yep, i’m afraid so. NO backup is “perfect” but it will always work in a cd-rom no probs.

Don’t forget that the PlexTools Professional software also has an option to Hide CD-R Media! This software was bundled with your drive and it’s free (check the FAQ if you want to know more about installing PlexTools on your computer).

G@M3FR3@K

Thank you for the very informative information.
I got Plextools Professional with my PX-708UF.