Plextor Premium and Promise TX2 Ultra 133

Hello,

Sorry for my bad english, My new Plextor Premium write very slow 16x max. This drive is connected on controller Promise TX2 Ultra 133. How setting DMA on Plextor?

Thanks for your help.

Alain

Windows XP Pro
:confused:

On that controller, it won’t work

Originally posted by alexnoe

On that controller, it won’t work
Okay. On which controller would it work then ?

I too wouldnt expect it to work well on the TX2, I have one, and I wouldnt dare put it on that controller, I would rather have it on the MB and be direct, one of the reason is cause XP or any OS I would believe uses resources to send commands to it, and I would think that this would slow the speed down, considering that it will not be any faster then UDMA 2 I would think putting it on that controller would be a waste.

But also look to see that you disabled PowerRec, remember, just cause its a 52X, doesnt mean all media will burn at that speed with PowerRec enabled.

Originally posted by AngelDeath

I too wouldnt expect it to work well on the TX2, I have one…

Great ! The reason why I asked my former Q was that I was going to order this particular controller
for setting my new Maxtor 120GB on it.
AD, do you think they would be a good pair ? :smiley:

BoSkin,

Dont get me wrong, for a HD its wonderful, it works well, but I would think that with a Burner it would not be as efficent. And as for where to get one, if I am correct the 120G Maxtor comes with it. If not I know for sure the 160G does. Cause the TX2 from promise also is a repackage for Maxtor, cause maxtors ATA133 is a TX2. Thats how I know.

Promise TX controllers somehow don’t allow DMA mode for CDVD writing (it works for reading, though)

for a HD its wonderful, it works well.

And as for where to get one, if I am correct the 120G Maxtor comes with it.
Sounds good. That’s what I needed to hear.

No it does not. So, I’m looking for a Promise TX2 Ultra 133.

Thanks for clarifying it to me !

BoSkin,

Like I said the Maxtor ATA133 card that they sell is a TX2 Promise card, so dont be looking too far :slight_smile:

Like I said the Maxtor ATA133 card that they sell is a TX2 Promise card,

so dont be looking too far :slight_smile:

I got your point from the very beginning. :wink:

I won’t, promise you. :wink: I’ll just wait and see what I get.

Thanks for the useful info anyway !

The manual of my onboard Promise RAID states that Optical Drives are limited to 16x reading (so I guess this also counts for writing). Seems that the TX2 suffers the same illness.

Actually, my promise controllers have no problem with highspeed reading! 52x is no problem at all. Only writing is limited to 16x CD, or 2x DVD

So, I’m looking for a Promise TX2 Ultra 133

My own TX2 works extremely well for high speed reads, better than the onboard IDE on my ASUS A7N8X. Never tried an optical on it. I get HD copy speeds of about 1 GB/min.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

My own TX2 works extremely well for high speed reads, I get HD copy speeds of about 1 GB/min.
Got the message ! :smiley:

Originally posted by BoSkin
Great ! The reason why I asked my former Q was that I was going to order this particular controller
for setting my new Maxtor 120GB on it.
AD, do you think they would be a good pair ? :smiley:

i have the 120GB maxtor…i prefer you don’t give this one a try!
its giving out some sounds since the first install…i’ll try seagate or somethin’ else next time…

Originally posted by NoLimit
…i prefer you don’t give this one a try!

I’ll have to, 'coz there’s no way of turning back. This is the way it is.