Plextor Premium 2 firmware, software and enclosure advice for new user

vbimport

Hello,

First I would like to thank everyone on this wonderful forum. I have been reading this form for a few weeks now and the amount of information/experience available here is simply amazing! With this, I humbly present my current situation and look forward to any advice/opinions on the situation.

So here it goes. I just received a new Plextor Premium 2 from a friend who had an extra drive. I am planning on installing it in my old Plextor PX-716UF enclosure as the 716A drive has failed a long time ago.

So a couple of questions.

1. I noticed that the power rating on the old 716A drive is DC 5V-1.7A / DC 12V-2.0A. The power rating on the Premium 2, however, is DC 5V-1.7A / DC 12V-2.4A. Is it safe to put the Premium 2 drive into the 716UF enclosure? I don’t want to over or under power the Premium 2 drive. I also noticed that the 716UF power adapter only has an output of 12V - 3.0A, so I am a little concerned about the drive getting enough power.

2. Regarding firmware, the Premium 2 has a TLA #0110. From other posts on this forum I have learned that means this drive comes with firmware version 1.10. To be honest, I am a little confused by this, as on Plextors website, the Premium 2 is supposed to only go up to firmware version 1.03. Does anyone have any information on this unusual firmware version?

3. Does anyone know where I can find an owners manual for the Premium 2? I have looked online for a pdf copy, but have so far been unsecessful.

4. Finally, does anyone know how to update Plextools Pro? I am currently running Plextools Professional v2.17 as this came with my 716UF. I believe, however, that I will need to upgrade Plextools to work with the new Premium 2. So far, however, I have been unable to locate a download for a more recent versions of Plextools Professional.

A big thank you in advance and any suggestions would be appreciated :smiley:

I have noticed that StudioDweller also reports getting a Premium 2 with firmware version 1.10 direct from Japan. Unfortunately the meaning behind this information is never resolved in that thread: http://club.myce.com/f43/new-premium2-came-v1-10-firmware-243944/

Based on information elsewhere http://juubee.org/work/premium2/premium2_tonk.html, perhaps firmware 1.10 disables AMQR?

Again, unfortunately, this information is based on google translator, so it is not completely clear to me. If firmware version 1.10 does disable certain features of the Premium 2 it would be nice to flash down to version 1.03…I would hate to turn the new drive into nothing more than an expensive brick though.

I am hoping that someone here might actually have some solid information on this issue.

Well, since no one seems to have any experience with the Premium 2 firmware 1.10, I thought I would provide an update with what I have found so far.

In short I still have no idea what the firmware 1.10 means. I connected my Premium 2 TLA 0110 to Windows XP using a Premium-U enclosure. As far as I could tell I was able to use all features of the Premium 2 using Plextools 3.16 (including burning with AMQR). I was also able to downgrade to firmware version 1.03 with no problems at all (I received a warning that the drive already contained a newer firmware version - but otherwise all went smoothly). As far as I can tell there was no performance difference between firmware 1.03 and firmware 1.10…at least with my unit.

I was hoping to connect to my computer using firewire, so I also tried the Premium 2 in an PX-716UF enclosure. Using the 716UF enclosure USB worked fine, but the computer refused to recognize the drive at all over firewire. Maybe someday I will find a nice IDE enclosure with firewire, a sufficient power rating and a bridge chip that provides C2 error detection, but until then I guess I will just stick with the Premium-U enclosure.

Welcome to the forum.

Is there a USB/Firewire switch on the PX-716UF enclosure? Some Plextor enclosures have one.

Finding an enclosure which works with Plextor drives is very difficult. I cannot find one which works properly with my PX-716A - sometimes I can scan, but writing never works. Often even re-using another Plextor enclosure doesn’t work. :frowning:

I see you’ve found the free copy of Plextools XL 3.16 on Plextor’s web site. If you wish to use other scanning software, such as Opti Drive Control (for more detailed CD error reporting), you will (probably) need to look for the “Free Your Plextor” firmware. For the Premium2, PX-755 & 760 Plextor introduced firmware with protected commands to force us to use PlexTools for scanning, the “Free Your Plextor” firmware had these commands removed.

Hello Ibex - love your name/logo!

There is indeed a USB/Firewire switch on the PX-716UF. I tried putting a Premium inside the 716UF enclosure and I was able to use both Firewire and USB, but for some reason the Premium 2 is USB only. Under firewire, the drive can’t even tell it is plugged into the computer. Maybe it is a power issue? It seems really hard to find a drive enclosure with a sufficient power rating for the Premiums.

Thank you for the “Free Your Plextor” advice! I had seen talk about that in forums, but was unsure what exactly it did…That seems awfully rotten of Plextor to do that…
So the firmware patch is pretty reliable? It doesn’t seem to degrade drive performance at all?

Thanks.:flower: Back in the good old days, I used to shoot [I]Capra pyrenaica hispanica[/I] with my [I]Canon[/I]. (Note the capital C ;))

Its ready-modified firmware, just flash & go (with the usual risks). I ‘freed’ my PX-755UF over 5 years ago and I haven’t had any problems.

I searched for the Premium2 modified firmware, but all I could find were dead links for the PX-755 & 760. :frowning: Maybe one of the Premium2 users has a copy? If not try posting a request on rpc1.org.

If you still have a copy of the 1.10 firmware you could give that a try, maybe Plextor had a change of conscience?

The firewire problem may be due to the IDE->Firewire bridge firmware. If so, nothing can be done unless you’re feeling really adventurous and want to go where no CDFreak has gone before. Plextor enclosures do funny things when you swap the drive for another model.

FW 1.10 is probably a duplicator FW. Official Plex FW is (1.03). I do not know of any modded FW for the PP2.

This might be of interest regarding enclosures:

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2724004]FW 1.10 is probably a duplicator FW. Official Plex FW is (1.03). I do not know of any modded FW for the PP2.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply!

FW version 1.10 is dated 11/12/07 and firmware 1.03 is dated 10/01/07. It would make complete sense that one version was for duplicators. It is just odd that Plextor of America was selling US consumers drives with version 1.10, if it was indeed a duplicator version. But then again, given that the drive was not intended for the US market, maybe that is not too surprising.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2724002]Thanks.:flower: Back in the good old days, I used to shoot [I]Capra pyrenaica hispanica[/I] with my [I]Canon[/I]. (Note the capital C ;))

Its ready-modified firmware, just flash & go (with the usual risks). I ‘freed’ my PX-755UF over 5 years ago and I haven’t had any problems.

I searched for the Premium2 modified firmware, but all I could find were dead links for the PX-755 & 760. :frowning: Maybe one of the Premium2 users has a copy? If not try posting a request on rpc1.org.

If you still have a copy of the 1.10 firmware you could give that a try, maybe Plextor had a change of conscience?

The firewire problem may be due to the IDE->Firewire bridge firmware. If so, nothing can be done unless you’re feeling really adventurous and want to go where no CDFreak has gone before. Plextor enclosures do funny things when you swap the drive for another model.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for making a search!

I did try playing around with the Premium 2 using QPXTool. With both firmware 1.10 and 1.03 I got a message warning me that not all features were available until I “Free My Plextor”. That fact that this message popped up at all suggests that modified firmware for the Premium 2 should exist. I will keep my eyes open:)

[QUOTE=Ibex;2724020]This might be of interest regarding enclosures:

Brilliant!
I had seen TM mention that the GL811E04+OX911 chipset worked well, but I hadn’t found what brand enclosure he was using.

Gosh, when I got the Premium 2 I never thought finding an enclosure would be this tricky. I guess given how scare 5.25 Sata enclosures are nowadays, I should have known that finding a good IDE enclosure would be even trickier.